Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: what seriously has happened to music the past 10 years

IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by c0ld View Post
    Er, no. Music is objectively good or bad, but people just have subjective taste. If you think bad music is good, or vice versa, you have bad taste. This is just a scientific fact you have to live with.

No once again you are entering it with a preconception that just because it is more correct ,complex or precise in form that it is inherently "better".That, at least in the case of art/music, is something that is based on historical majority(other people's taste ) and not necessarily measurable fact like "what is a perfect circle" and certainly not individual perception.
    Unless of course you take art and emotion away from it and look at it as nothing more another studied science- which of course to some but thankfully not all degree it will never entirely be.
    Like the man said "Talent is the capacity of doing anything that depends on application and industry; it is a voluntary power, while genius is involuntary".
    If music was definable (like a perfect circle) then everyone with enough practice could be Mozart.

Music is like a sunset viewed through a million different eyes where everyone blessedly is allowed to find their own truth in it. Such is it's universal power.
    Respect my lack of authority.

2. Music   -   #12
    BANNED BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Music is like a sunset viewed through a million different eyes where everyone blessedly is allowed to find their own truth in it. Such is it's universal power.
    Here then, contemplate this "Sunset". ENJOY!!!!!!

I did see some clapping, so you're right.
    Last edited by l33tpirata13; 08-12-2010 at 12:18 AM.

3. Music   -   #13
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    LOL @the video
    whatever. everybody is entitled to their own opinions. it's just painful to see genuine, talented artists get bumped out of the music industry because of untalented, auto-tuning bastards who make all their sounds on a computer. i mean fair game, that's good, but it just ain't fair that the struggling artists will always be the best artists.

4. Music   -   #14
    BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by c0ld View Post
    Er, no. Music is objectively good or bad, but people just have subjective taste. If you think bad music is good, or vice versa, you have bad taste. This is just a scientific fact you have to live with.

No once again you are entering it with a preconception that just because it is more correct ,complex or precise in form that it is inherently "better".That, at least in the case of art/music, is something that is based on historical majority(other people's taste ) and not necessarily measurable fact like "what is a perfect circle" and certainly not individual perception.
    Unless of course you take art and emotion away from it and look at it as nothing more another studied science- which of course to some but thankfully not all degree it will never entirely be.
    Like the man said "Talent is the capacity of doing anything that depends on application and industry; it is a voluntary power, while genius is involuntary".
    If music was definable (like a perfect circle) then everyone with enough practice could be Mozart.

I didn't read any of that, but if it says what I think it says then you are totally wrong buddy. This is a FACT, you can't argue with it.

5. Music   -   #15
    Speedo's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by bwayne337 View Post
    LOL @the video
    whatever. everybody is entitled to their own opinions. it's just painful to see genuine, talented artists get bumped out of the music industry because of untalented, auto-tuning bastards who make all their sounds on a computer. i mean fair game, that's good, but it just ain't fair that the struggling artists will always be the best artists.
    Music will never die. Corporations will.

6. Music   -   #16
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    When you reach a certain age you have probably heard the same music over and over again. Just a few chord changes here and there. There is no original music. I'm excluding rap here, because, personally I don't consider that music. Each to their own taste, I suppose.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

7. Music   -   #17
    BANNED BT Rep: +2
    I'm excluding rap here, because, personally I don't consider that music.
    Aw c'mon!! How could you not like The Message by Grandmaster Flash?

8. Music   -   #18
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    What really "happened' to music was the advent of MTV and music videos and so for many people the focus shifted to style over substance.
    To paraphrase Billy Crystal , in this day and age " It's better to look good than to sound good".

Also the music industry ( like the TV and film industries) likes to put it's money into nice safe, easily consumable stuff which is basically the antithesis of creativity.
    Last edited by IdolEyes787; 08-23-2010 at 04:47 PM.
    Respect my lack of authority.

9. Music   -   #19
    elbuitre's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Well if you take the lowest common denominator (top 40 stuff tailored to reach mainstream appeal) then yeah you could say most music sucks now, but that could be said about almost any era. Sure, some good stuff shines through and gets popular; But, with the advent of internet and music being easily reproducible in a digital format, mainstream music has lost any sort of relevancy for many people. Sure, some are just people who are looking for the next big fad to claim some kind of hip cred but some people actually enjoy creative, engaging and original music recordings and shows. i don't know what kind of music you like but I'm pretty sure you could find something you like in today's music.

Generalizing and encapsulating ALL music and saying it was better in the old days is ignorant and short sighted. If you're old and disillusioned with music because you can no longer find new music you like, either spice it up and search far and wide for something you like (start listening to music without anyone having to play it to you, search albums that look interesting, read up reviews, seek out recommendations and pick and choose the most interesting ones) or stick with the same music you've been playing and boring adult contemporary shit.

10. Music   -   #20
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by elbuitre View Post
    Well if you take the lowest common denominator (top 40 stuff tailored to reach mainstream appeal) then yeah you could say most music sucks now, but that could be said about almost any era. Sure, some good stuff shines through and gets popular; But, with the advent of internet and music being easily reproducible in a digital format, mainstream music has lost any sort of relevancy for many people. Sure, some are just people who are looking for the next big fad to claim some kind of hip cred but some people actually enjoy creative, engaging and original music recordings and shows. i don't know what kind of music you like but I'm pretty sure you could find something you like in today's music.

Generalizing and encapsulating ALL music and saying it was better in the old days is ignorant and short sighted. If you're old and disillusioned with music because you can no longer find new music you like, either spice it up and search far and wide for something you like (start listening to music without anyone having to play it to you, search albums that look interesting, read up reviews, seek out recommendations and pick and choose the most interesting ones) or stick with the same music you've been playing and boring adult contemporary shit.
    It was not better in the olden days, except for a spell in the late sixties(After the Beatles). I have been listening to all types of music for over sixty years. I don't like modern jazz, other than that, if the 'music' is good I listen to it.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast