Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: best method for locating hard-to-find textbooks

Poster
    What are your favorite methods for locating textbooks online? I ask this because I'm looking for textbooks that I need for my Geology course. I'm not a member of bitme so that's not an option but are there any Google tricks or special forums/sites that specialize in difficult to find, rare textbooks. I need quite a lot of texts but the first couple of texts I need are:

http://sisapp.mit.edu/textbook/books...Subject=12.001
    - Understanding Earth. New York : W.H. Freeman, c2007.
    - How to build a habitable planet / Wallace S. Broecker.

Physics I
    - Essentials of introductory classical mechanics : MIT 8.01 study guide / Wit Busza, Susan Cartwright,

Calculus 1
    - Calculus with analytic geometry / George F. Simmons.
    Prereq: Knowledge of differentiation and elementary integration

- Introduction to electricity and magnetism : MIT 8.02 course notes / Sen-Ben Liao, Peter Dourmashkin,
    - Div, grad, curl, and all that : an informal text on vector calculus / H.M. Schey. 4th edition
    - PLANETARY SCIENCES. CAMBRIDGE CAMBRIDGE UNIV PRESS 2010
    - Multivariable calculus / C. Henry Edwards and David E. Penney. Harlow : Prentice Hall, 2001 0130339679
    - Vector calculus / Susan Jane Colley.
    - Student solution manual [for] Vector calculus / Susan Jane Colley, Daniel H. Steinberg.
    - Calculus : an introduction to applied mathematics / Harvey P. Greenspan, David J. Benney.
    Last edited by unknown1_; 08-13-2010 at 08:54 AM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    ..... BT Rep: +2
    Your likely to find more elearning content using public trackers,search engines,ddl sites.I don't like using public bt sites but sometimes it is the only option.Google,the name of the file rs,mu,etc or torrent.
    Here is one file that you listed.
    http://www.avaxdownload.com/.../Sear...y+Physics.html
    Not sure if that is the 2008 edition. Maybe the 12th edition(only on thepiratebay) is from 2008.
    Last edited by pone44; 08-10-2010 at 07:03 AM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    The absolute best source is gigapedia.com. Registration is still open I believe. I did a quick search for your mechanics book and it's there. I didn't search for any others but I bet you'll find quite a few there. I don't think I've actually found a book on a torrent site (public: demonoid, tpb or private: bibliotik, bitme, waffles/what) that I couldn't find on gigapedia but it's happened the other way around many times.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Poster
    Google,the name of the file rs,mu,etc or torrent.
    I’m not getting anything with this method. (except when I use "torrent" but not the others) Maybe I’m doing something wrong...??
    Here is one file that you listed.
    http://www.avaxdownload.com/.../Sear...y+Physics.html
    Not sure if that is the 2008 edition. Maybe the 12th edition(only on thepiratebay) is from 2008
    The link is broken... But I do see the TPB version and there is also a version on Demonoid. Thanks for pointing that out. ^^

@DakotaJune - Gigapedia is down.
    Last edited by unknown1_; 08-10-2010 at 07:28 AM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    unknown it's not down for me

try refreshing.. the following books are there:

- Sears and Zemansky's University physics : with modern physics. San Francisco : Pearson Addison Wesley, c2008
    - An introduction to mechanics [by] Daniel Kleppner [and] Robert J. Kolenkow

- Calculus / by Tom M. Apostol.
    Last edited by DakotaJune; 08-10-2010 at 07:38 AM.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Poster
    Oh, I see you have found three of them. I found two of them also. lol. I am going to update the original thread every time I locate a text that I'm looking for. I'll also add others that I need for my curriculum. I would add them all at once but I'll do it slowly. ^^

Do you have to be logged into Gigapedia in order to search their website?? I'm not finding anything at all. Even if I perform a simple search for "math", nothing shows up.

I got it to work now. Darn firefox and NoScript!!
    Last edited by unknown1_; 08-10-2010 at 08:02 AM.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Poster
    I have updated the first post to add some books that I couldn't find on gigapedia. Can someone check to see if these are available on bitme/bibliotik? I am going to check docs, bitspyder, and elbitz right now. Will I have to check all of the e-learning trackers separately? There isn't some kind of search engine that I can use to search all of the major e-learning trackers?

Added:
    - Introduction to electricity and magnetism : MIT 8.02 course notes / Sen-Ben Liao, Peter Dourmashkin,
    - Electricity and magnetism / Edward M. Purcell.
    - Div, grad, curl, and all that : an informal text on vector calculus / H.M. Schey.
    - PLANETARY SCIENCES. CAMBRIDGE CAMBRIDGE UNIV PRESS 2010
    - Fundamentals of geophysics, second edition [electronic resource] / William Lowrie.
    - Multivariable calculus / C. Henry Edwards and David E. Penney. Harlow : Prentice Hall, 2001 0130339679
    - Vector calculus / Susan Jane Colley.
    - Student solution manual [for] Vector calculus / Susan Jane Colley, Daniel H. Steinberg.
    - Calculus : an introduction to applied mathematics / Harvey P. Greenspan, David J. Benney.
    Last edited by unknown1_; 08-11-2010 at 11:03 PM.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    ..... BT Rep: +2
    I think so. There is no search engine for private trackers that I know of. You would have to be a member of each site to check the content. Public BT search engines,RS,Hotfile or some other 1 click hosting service might be better for finding some of this kind of material.

Quote Originally Posted by unknown1_ View Post
    Will I have to check all of the e-learning trackers separately? There isn't some kind of search engine that I can use to search all of the major e-learning trackers?
    Last edited by pone44; 08-12-2010 at 12:51 AM.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Poster
    Darn it! This is so time-consuming! This is taking away from my study time... *pissed*

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Thank you

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast