Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Seedbox or Usenet?

I'm about to go to college. I don't know anything about their policies about torrents and such but I know it will be throttled and such. And I don't want to get in trouble. So I'm looking at two options right now. Buy a seedbox (I know of a really good one that I've used before), or renew my Giganews subscription https://www.giganews.com. I've noticed that Giganews has this VyprVPN now, and I'm really thinking that might be very helpful. How useful would that be in keeping me out of trouble?

Thanks!

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    captive's Avatar speaks.his.mind
    ng deffo. cheaper too.
    ///dont.let.the.bastards.get.you.down\\\

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    BANNED
    torrents + seedboxes involve spending out vast sums of money on the equivalent of a bandwidth arms race which only benefits the wallets of people running private torrent sites. You'll spend most of your time micromanaging torrents you don't care about just to build up a ratio that allows you to download the stuff you do care about without being b&. Stuff that is usually available elsewhere without the hassle. There's always someone with a better seedbox than you though, who'll build up a stupid ratio of about 1000:1 meaning 999 other people get banned for low ratios.

Fuck torrents, they're for mugs.

Giganews is for mugs too for that matter.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    i agree with c0ld.forget the seedbox!
    Yeah right...now maybe you should try it in another way!

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    no, go with torrents and the seedbox,
    they will cost roughly equivalant but you will get better quality releases, more content, and better reviews and such through good torrent sites than you will ever get on horrible outdated archaic usenet

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    BANNED
    haha, like I said; mugs. I rest my case.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by SB-087 View Post
    they will cost roughly equivalant but you will get better quality releases, more content, and better reviews and such through good torrent sites than you will ever get on horrible outdated archaic usenet
    Nice post. It's obvious you know a lot about Usenet.

But anyways, for my opinion, I also say go with Usenet(for many reasons like cheaper than renting a box, access to an ocean of content, no seeding involved, good security, etc). Although I would personally switch from Giganews to make Astraweb since the price would be cheaper. I've been using Astraweb for a couple years now and am completely happy with them.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Stabber's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Depends on what you are looking for to download . There are trackers that have exclusive content like pedro's btmusic for flacs

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    Quote Originally Posted by c0ld View Post
    torrents + seedboxes involve spending out vast sums of money on the equivalent of a bandwidth arms race which only benefits the wallets of people running private torrent sites. You'll spend most of your time micromanaging torrents you don't care about just to build up a ratio that allows you to download the stuff you do care about without being b&. Stuff that is usually available elsewhere without the hassle. There's always someone with a better seedbox than you though, who'll build up a stupid ratio of about 1000:1 meaning 999 other people get banned for low ratios.

Fuck torrents, they're for mugs.

Giganews is for mugs too for that matter.
    Go by c0ld's opinion. It's much cheaper, much more comfortable and you always max whatever connection you have. Seedboxes are a waste of time and money, stay away from them.

Quote Originally Posted by SB-087 View Post
    I see we have an expert here...
    Last edited by Cabalo; 08-16-2010 at 01:40 PM.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    if you want the cheapest of the cheapest then join a good mediafire forum and use it with jdownloader. but it might have limited content.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast