Thread: 3 1/2 Floppy Drive Problem On A Laptop

OK, my friend has a Compaq laptop running Windows XP Home and whenever you double-click on the 3 1/2 Floppy Drive in My Computer, a bluescreen comes up saying something like "Windows Has Experienced A Serious Error. Press any key to restart your system." I do not know the exact wording because after about 3 seconds of displaying the message, Windows reboots even without you pressing a key. No, he does NOT have a virus, he recently reformatted and has not downloaded anything. Also, the floppy drive is PERMANENT so it is definiately not something where he didn't put the drive back in correctly. He said he did not do anything that may have damaged the floppy drive. Does anyone know any possible solutions to fix this?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Errors like those usually come when their is a serious hardware issue. So its not modular right?

The floppy drive might have been broken while moving laptop or there might be some other hardware conflict with windows. What other devices are attached to the laptop?
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Originally posted by I.am@3 November 2003 - 19:18
    What other devices are attached to the laptop?
    When you say that do you mean that he had added or what came with the laptop?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    muchspl2
    does it detect it in bios?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Have you looked in the Device Manager to see if it says anything?
    There&#39;s probably a nice big yellow exclamation point by his A: drive...
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Originally posted by clocker@3 November 2003 - 20:08
    Where&#39;s that located?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Anyone know?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Smith's Avatar Since 1989.. BT Rep: +1
    dude just buy a new one, their like 20 bucks at future shop

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Originally posted by downloader2008+4 November 2003 - 23:53--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (downloader2008 @ 4 November 2003 - 23:53)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-clocker@3 November 2003 - 20:08
    Where&#39;s that located? [/b][/quote]
    If you&#39;re using XP, right-click on My-Computer and select &#39;Manage&#39; and then click on &#39;Device Manager.&#39; This displays every hardware your computer recognizes. The yellow exclamation or red x&#39;s are trouble. Also, if the floppy is not listed, that is also trouble.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Originally posted by Darth Sushi+8 November 2003 - 19:43--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Darth Sushi @ 8 November 2003 - 19:43)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by downloader2008@4 November 2003 - 23:53
    <!--QuoteBegin-clocker
    @3 November 2003 - 20:08

Where&#39;s that located?
    If you&#39;re using XP, right-click on My-Computer and select &#39;Manage&#39; and then click on &#39;Device Manager.&#39; This displays every hardware your computer recognizes. The yellow exclamation or red x&#39;s are trouble. Also, if the floppy is not listed, that is also trouble. [/b][/quote]
    Thank you&#33;

@TheCanuk, yeah, they&#39;re &#036;20 but then it costs a lot of money to get it installed. And it&#39;s a permanent drive so you can&#39;t just slide it right in.