Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: obscure music tracker?

is it legal to upload copyrighted music to the web that cannot be found on itunes store etc? Many people cry foul when a mp3 private tracker shuts down that all the obscure music that has dissapeared and cannot be found anywhere else on the internet. I think someone should create a private tracker solely for obscure music that cannot be found on the web and ban people for posting music that can easily be bought on the itunes store.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    ca_aok's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I think you're describing indietorrents, they have a no-RIAA/major labels allowed rule. In many cases what people call "obscure" would still be on major labels though, and they're not really about being an archival site.

And no, it's not allowed to upload files that aren't found on the iTunes store (LOL). Whether or not something is in the iTunes store has nothing to do with whether it's copyrighted... there are tons of albums that aren't available there (just an example of why piracy will always be a better alternative to for-pay online stores).
    Last edited by ca_aok; 08-17-2010 at 01:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatcdfan View Post
    u are somewhat fairer then the last occasions but still pal i give a damn to what u said and expect i really dont need anything from u or optimuscrime i get what i want coz u 2 guyes dont own bittorrent and i dont think i portrayed any image i wrote simple english and u are seems to be very good at making assumptions if someone is not a cheater and u assume he's a cheater and write what u wrote and when u are proven wrong who u think will owe an apology then barack obama????

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    I've heard Shellife is an "obscure" music tracker.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Shellife is mostly shoegaze, dream-pop and post-rock.
    u are somewhat fairer then the last occasions but still pal i give a damn to what u said and expect i really dont need anything from u or optimuscrime i get what i want coz u 2 guyes dont own bittorrent and i dont think i portrayed any image i wrote simple english and u are seems to be very good at making assumptions if someone is not a cheater and u assume he's a cheater and write what u wrote and when u are proven wrong who u think will owe an apology then barack obama????

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by ca_aok View Post
    thumbsdown_smiley.gif to the idiots that feel the need to categorize music down to ridiculous sub-sub--sub genres in a ludicrous attempt to try and prove how cool they are.

To quote William Martin Joel "It's still Rock and Roll to me ".
    Respect my lack of authority.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    BANNED BT Rep: +5
    I recommand dimeadozen. Very obscure tracker.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ca_aok View Post
    thumbsdown_smiley.gif to the idiots that feel the need to categorize music down to ridiculous sub-sub--sub genres in a ludicrous attempt to try and prove how cool they are.

I wouldn't say any of those subgenres sound anything like "Rock 'n' Roll" as Joel envisions it. I find subgenres are nice for giving a clearer picture of a band's general sound, though the sub-sub-sub genres do get a bit ridiculous, especially in electronic music.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    BANNED BT Rep: +5

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post

I completely agree. Spend anytime at some music forums, and you'll read people rattling off the most stupid sounding metals genre's. It seems like a new one pops up everyday. It's all metal me to me. Not grind core, or math core, or turkey core, or monkey core, etc.

Anyways, at the OP, as caaok mentioned IndieTorrents is pretty good for music you won't usually come across elsewhere. But I personally think Soulseek is even better for it. Give it a download/install and have a look around.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    As a general rule, anything that ends in "core" should be avoided

For an example of metal that sounds completely different, maybe compare some Doom stuff like Sun O))) to any generic thrash stuff like Slayer. Doesn't sound similar at all.

Oh and I find Soulseek to be bad for finding new music (as there are no descriptions, comments, etc). Most of the time I turn to Soulseek with something specific in mind. And yeah you can browse user lists or hang out in the chat channels and pick up suggestions there, but still...
    Last edited by ca_aok; 08-17-2010 at 08:13 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast