Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bible

Lick My Lovepump
    Originally posted by Gurahl+4 November 2003 - 20:21--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Gurahl &#064; 4 November 2003 - 20:21)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Neo 721@4 November 2003 - 21:14
    Thats true but consider how many copies have sold overthe years, there will have been considerable changes in order to attempt to make it appeal to the younger generations.
    There is no &#39;real&#39; bible, in the sense that there isn&#39;t one base copy.
    The bible hasn&#39;t changed since the work of St Jerome in the fourth century... Well, at least the Bible according to the Roman Church...
    I you want the unchanged Old Testament read the jewish Torah. The New Testament is more of a problem, since Jesus didn&#39;t write it Himself, but the Apostles did some 30 years after...

edit: link to encyclopedia [/b][/quote]
    I am more talking about the New Testament, because it is the part more about Christianity, which someone said something about above.

I do, however, agree that the earlier Old Testament remains largely unchanged. Thats the part more about Judaism.

EDIT: I like this, a nice discussion.

2. Lounge   -   #22
    *Grunt*
    The old testiment is unlikley ever to change it contains the foundations for most religions, the new testiment and the newer parts of other holly books is realy contain trends and metheds that the religion will use to find god. These particular parts are the most likley to chnage.

3. Lounge   -   #23
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Whatever you actually believe about the bible it is important to recognize the effect the bible has had on the creative world through the ages and how many artists get their inspiration: from Milton&#39;s paradise to the Wachowski brother&#39;s Matrix we are constantly bombarded with references to the text.

I leave the arguments about god and all that to the philosophers but I don&#39;t think anyone can have any doubts that the bible has influenced a lot of people in their creative ideas and even to those who don&#39;t believe in the teachings it is an important book nevertheless.

4. Lounge   -   #24
    Lick My Lovepump
    Originally posted by Withcheese@4 November 2003 - 20:45
    Whatever you actually believe about the bible it is important to recognize the effect the bible has had on the creative world through the ages and how many artists get their inspiration: from Milton&#39;s paradise to the Wachowski brother&#39;s Matrix we are constantly bombarded with references to the text.

I leave the arguments about god and all that to the philosophers but I don&#39;t think anyone can have any doubts that the bible has influenced a lot of people in their creative ideas and even to those who don&#39;t believe in the teachings it is an important book nevertheless.
    I agree totally. The bible is an influential text.

5. Lounge   -   #25
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    In response to the original question, yes, it is a good book. It can be very trying though, depending on your grasp of the language.

Most of the stories are written as parables, so that you&#39;ll gain some wisdom or understanding by reading, rather than "having it happen" to you. The basic ideas behind much of it are still very relevant today, if the phrasing is not.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

6. Lounge   -   #26
    I wonder if the guys over at the Walt Disney studios have any plans to do a movie on it.

They&#39;ve done loads of other fiction/fantasy movies.
    ABIT NF7s--Athlon 2800--80gbMaxtor--41gbIBM--1024DDRpc3200--PowCol9800XT--Pioneer106DVD/RW--PlextorCD/RW--SonyDVD

7. Lounge   -   #27
    bob_the_alien's Avatar Bob The Alien
    Yes, the bible is art,
    It’s read in most Universities as on of the major literary works of all time.
    I know I spent a month reading both the new and old testaments for World Lit.

All stories are written to teach a lesson, but they are also historical teachings of their time.

Now a as for religious belief, that’s up to the individual, personally, I don&#39;t believe, but you can&#39;t deny the fact that many people seek comfort in the book, and its teachings. You can&#39;t say its not relevant anymore, may not be relevant to you, but it is relevant to many others, some live their lives by it teachings, and that&#39;s ok, to each their own.
    "Where did he go, George, Where did he go?"

8. Lounge   -   #28
    Hey, if you guys wanna discuss this, plz don&#39;t spam, you might do better to just read the posts first.

1. I&#39;m not a racist, the post about christians being equal is in reply to the post above it. (if you can be bothered to read it)

2. Isiah is not a writer of the Bible. It&#39;s a book in the old testament. They know they found the original (or one of the original) because they dated it, and it came out to be roughly the right date.

3. greedy priest can&#39;t squeez in words, &#39;cos that in the middle ages would almost certainly lead to death. Anyway the copy we have wouldn&#39;t be that one. (of course the pope is totally different, butu if he did, we would have a record of that).

Back on the subject.

Hollywood did do a lot of films on the bible, like the "ten commandaments", which was (apparently) a major success. but nowadays noone want to see these films.

One thing i find funny about the Bible is ppl always say it&#39;s difficult to understand. i don&#39;t think so, &#39;cos "lord of the rings" uses a lot more difficult language. As for the stories, it maybe difficult to find the deeper meanings, but things like a guy gets beaten up, then get rescued by his enemy are if anything much easier to understand than some mordern books.

9. Lounge   -   #29
    Lick My Lovepump
    Originally posted by **GASHA**@5 November 2003 - 15:13
    I wonder if the guys over at the Walt Disney studios have any plans to do a movie on it.&nbsp;

They&#39;ve done loads of other fiction/fantasy movies.
    It&#39;d probably be too touchy a subject for them guys.

It is a very good historical document. A nice view into the past. It show a lot of what people thought back then, and helps us learn about ourselves.

10. Lounge   -   #30
    TheDave's Avatar n00b
    i reckon the bible exists for a good reason - to make the world a beeter place.

but its slowly being phased out, with evolution and contraceptives and stuff.

thats just my HO

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast