Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: personal metadata and mkv question

mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    So, let's say a file downloaded from a service that's like iTunes (but uses VC-1 codec) is run through Tunebite (a DRM removal software, so that it can play on other devices). Assuming it had personal identifying information in the first place, does the resulting file keep personal metadata on it? If so, does it still keep it through a mux to mkv? If it does... then crap!

Even further, if my freak out is justified, is there a remedy to all that? Because... ummm... let's just say I like my privacy

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Not much into this iTunes stuff, but there's a tutorial on how to remove personal information from files on Waffles. I can post a copy here if you desire.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Could you post a copy? That way I have something to go on, at least to check my files. All personal metadata would be in the header anyway, right?

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Here you go:

Spoiler: Show

Although on second though, I'm not sure it'll be of much help, since this is for audio files and you appear to be talking about video.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Yeah sorry, I should have clarified, only hinted at it with the codec comment. The thing is I've put some releases out there in the world, and I'm worried about it coming back to my original purchase.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Expeto's Avatar current user title
    You can always say, that you was hacked and somebody stole your files.
    Last edited by Expeto; 09-13-2010 at 05:40 AM.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Expeto View Post
    You can always say, that you was hacked and somebody stole your files.
    @Expeto
    cross my fingers and hope that works

The thing is, I don't know where to ask a drm expert. Those guys that do the web releases usually use iTunes as source, which I just don't touch.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Expeto's Avatar current user title
    as anon said guys at the waffles pretty good at that subject, but an invite is pretty hard to get.

What was the song you uploaded?
    Chances are with you both ways; if you uploaded a very big hit, chances are likely somebody also did it and done a way better job than you. Yours will disappear in no time.
    If it wasn't a very famous song , probably copyright guys won't even notice.

What are you scared of anyway? They can't even make a case out of this, just a guy sharing a song. They even have hard time building cases against release groups. So don't worry about legal things. But you might loose your itunes account in worst case, which is not very likely. But I'm no expert of itunes, check the TOS or whatever agreement you signed for itunes for details.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    as anon said guys at the waffles pretty good at that subject, but an invite is pretty hard to get.

What was the song you uploaded?
    Chances are with you both ways; if you uploaded a very big hit, chances are likely somebody also did it and done a way better job than you. Yours will disappear in no time.
    If it wasn't a very famous song , probably copyright guys won't even notice.

What are you scared of anyway? They can't even make a case out of this, just a guy sharing a song. They even have hard time building cases against release groups. So don't worry about legal things. But you might loose your itunes account in worst case, which is not very likely. But I'm no expert of itunes, check the TOS or whatever agreement you signed for itunes for details.
    Well it's not music, it's video. However, the concept should be pretty much the same, whether or not my information is embedded in the file. I've been releasing TV shows from Zune as web-dl's. Without explicitly stating what I release under, one of my nzb's showed up on this site's NZBs section. I do it when the other main groups seem to be delayed. I put the DRM video through Tunebite, and package the resulting MP4 with mkvmerge. I don't want my Zune account to be messed with since it's tied to my xbox 360, know what I mean. I still like to pay for stuff that I support whenever I feel I can afford it, but I just can't ignore my hobbies

I went over to the Waffles IRC help channel, but no one there was able to help me. This kind of information isn't easily googleable I guess.

anon, i have to thank you for that tutorial, it led me onto a path of research that has allowed me to understand this better

WMV, the Zune format, does have metadata tags
    MP4, metadata can be edited/added/scrubbed using Atomic Parsley
    MKV, metadata conversion?

So, assuming that metadata tags get carried from WMV to MP4 by Tunebite, which I doubt due to the nature of the conversion (essentially a screencap encode), those would be lost once I mux them to MKV using mkvmerge because I'm not using an XML table for it (unless it auto imports from MP4). I wish someone could come by and tell me I'm right.
    Last edited by mjmacky; 09-14-2010 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Are you sure? They're pretty easy to get into when invites are open. I'm Power User there myself, and have 5 invites. The option of exchanging a regular one for two anytime ones was also recently made available in their "shop".

Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    anon, i have to thank you for that tutorial, it led me onto a path of research that has allowed me to understand this better
    Glad I could help, even though I can't really give a helpful reply on the matter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast