Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anybody else a member of DOP?

mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    The whole point of me continuing this thread was to further my journey to find a new place to settle, I spent a month over at x264.me before I got disabled (for having a disagreeable personality), I'm 0/3 with this private tracker thing.

1. Torrentday was a joke but it catalyzed my jump into private torrent with the research and seeking
    2. DoP was amazing but shut down after awhile
    3. x264 just had staff that wasn't appreciative of the intellectual framework. The content was nice... but if you can't get along with inferiority complex of some staffers then it's not really worth the effort.

Still looking for a community that prefers high quality content, the x264 codec, and people willing to participate in intellectual debate. I've got one on my mind, but have no idea how it's going to pan out yet.
    Last edited by mjmacky; 10-27-2010 at 07:56 AM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #32
    If I may ask a question or two:
    1) Are you looking for a strictly-HD/HD-focused site, or are palatable to a site with HD and SD content, but is concerned about the quality nonetheless (be it with the xvid or x264 codec)
    2)In means of "Intellectual debate", do you just mean a site where you will be able to speak without repercussions and get (mostly) on-topic and intelligent feedback?
    If that's the case, I probably have a decent idea where you should go. (As long as you aren't focused on a HD-centered site )

3. BitTorrent   -   #33
    A's Avatar ... BT Rep: +1
    HD Site and Intellectual discussions?Good look with that.

4. BitTorrent   -   #34
    Quote Originally Posted by kingeater View Post
    If I may ask a question or two:
    1) Are you looking for a strictly-HD/HD-focused site, or are palatable to a site with HD and SD content, but is concerned about the quality nonetheless (be it with the xvid or x264 codec)
    2)In means of "Intellectual debate", do you just mean a site where you will be able to speak without repercussions and get (mostly) on-topic and intelligent feedback?
    If that's the case, I probably have a decent idea where you should go. (As long as you aren't focused on a HD-centered site )
    Well I'm more oriented to HD focus, but I don't dismiss SD content (not everything out there is at HD res). Quality is my first concern, and a close second is getting intelligent feedback without dealing with bullshit. I have refined my encoding abilities immensely, but no one can has a potential cap on growing/improving, especially when the technology continues to change. I would love to hear your suggestion, from your description I'm getting a feeling it is tehconnection.

Quote Originally Posted by AbyBeats View Post
    HD Site and Intellectual discussions?Good look with that.
    I know, I'm a dreamer. I'm still exploring, but I don't have a quintessential need to be a member, therefore I have the luxury to have picky standards. I've gone it alone, but I'd prefer to be along similar minded peeps.

5. BitTorrent   -   #35
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky
    from your description I'm getting a feeling it is tehconnection.
    Nope,he is referring to Goem most probably.

but if you can't get along with inferiority complex of some staffers then it's not really worth the effort.
    Superiority complex?

P.S:Just curious,which character is that in your avatar and from which Anime?

6. BitTorrent   -   #36
    AbyBeats, you hit one of the two I was thinking right on the head. (BTW, are you over there? Don't remember seeing you in the forums/chats ). Only reason I like to promote it is that its a good site, lots of HD/SD stuff, and a pretty cool crowd. In means of judging/critiquing/helping with encodes, you probably aren't going to find as much info there as some other places. While saying that, there are a couple encoders that up some releases from time to time (including me ) that probably could help you, and you could help us. But if it is more about learning to encode/encoding suggestions, there may be better sites out there for that. BTW, if you don't mind me asking, did you get disabled from x264 with disagreements on social/random chatting with the staff, or was it more of disagreements on the directions of encodes? Because there are definitely trackers that are actively looking for encoders, but there is usually a tight framework for doing internal encodes. I kinda like the framework, while I do know some that do not. Also, are you more of a 2-pass kinda guy, CRF, or both?

Aside: Nothing wrong with TehConnection, nice little spot. (Just wasn't for me). If you are just looking for an assload of movies/encoding opportunities, TehConnection and PTP are your best bets.

7. BitTorrent   -   #37
    Quote Originally Posted by kingeater
    (BTW, are you over there? Don't remember seeing you in the forums/chats ). Only reason I like to promote it is that its a good site, lots of HD/SD stuff, and a pretty cool crowd. In means of judging/critiquing/helping with encodes, you probably aren't going to find as much info there as some other places.
    I like Goem for the above things you mentioned and in Goem I am more of a reader .I check out the collages and queue my downloads,enjoy reading those threads over there.People are smart and laid back,a nice community to be in.But never got around posting in forums,dunno why lol.I mainly download most of my movies from DDL sites these days so torrent wise I have little to no activity in Goem.And lemme guess the other tracker on your mind might be PTN?

8. BitTorrent   -   #38
    Quote Originally Posted by AbyBeats View Post
    Nope,he is referring to Goem most probably.

Superiority complex?

P.S:Just curious,which character is that in your avatar and from which Anime?
    Yeah aren't those complexes paradoxically the same? The avatar is Saito from Ghost in the Shell, the sniper whose cybernetic eye is linked in with satellite for his shots. He's always off on the side, featured only once, but a cool guy. I cropped him into an avatar long ago on a whim when I thought he's my best representation for the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by kingeater View Post
    Only reason I like to promote it is that its a good site, lots of HD/SD stuff, and a pretty cool crowd. In means of judging/critiquing/helping with encodes, you probably aren't going to find as much info there as some other places. While saying that, there are a couple encoders that up some releases from time to time (including me ) that probably could help you, and you could help us. But if it is more about learning to encode/encoding suggestions, there may be better sites out there for that. BTW, if you don't mind me asking, did you get disabled from x264 with disagreements on social/random chatting with the staff, or was it more of disagreements on the directions of encodes? Because there are definitely trackers that are actively looking for encoders, but there is usually a tight framework for doing internal encodes. I kinda like the framework, while I do know some that do not. Also, are you more of a 2-pass kinda guy, CRF, or both?

Aside: Nothing wrong with TehConnection, nice little spot. (Just wasn't for me). If you are just looking for an assload of movies/encoding opportunities, TehConnection and PTP are your best bets.
    To be honest I've never heard of Goem, but I like the description you gave. As far as CRF vs 2 pass, well I think you can get away with CRF for just about anything. I like 2 pass when the movement of the film/episode is pretty consistent. I'll probably reserve CRF for movies that switch from slow pace to intense action in an uneven manner, otherwise 2-pass is a little bit more predictable in getting a transparent encode. I'm experienced with encoding and won't need tutors so to speak, but rather I like discussing the minor nuances and helping others out. I often find myself learning more when trying to answer someone else's question. So in essence yeah I'd like to be an internal encoder somewhere. You could also say I'm looking for encoding "opportunities", where I could grab some source caps to do HDTV movies and such, there's not much in the way of transport streams on usenet (that I have seen)
    Last edited by mjmacky; 10-28-2010 at 04:59 AM.

9. BitTorrent   -   #39
    Yeah, I figured you were experienced and knew the ropes already. I bounce around a couple places, doing mostly CRF encodes (liked it mostly because I didn't really care for filesize restrictions, just the prettiest encode ), and almost exclusively DVDRips. Reason being, I usually encode movies that cannot be found on Blu-Ray, random black-and-white and foreign flicks. What I meant with chatting with random encoders were about using different x264 settings and seing their effect on quality and time (me tesa vs me esa vs me umh for example). I've been slacking lately in the encoding department because of this. In means of untouched transport streams, you are probably shit out of luck at goem (not really any there), although there might be other places for that. If you want to get into goem, I'm more than happy to invite ya. You're probably better to ask around for the best site for sources (The obvious one being HDB, less obvious would be BtS or something along those lines). If you have any questions/comments/curiousities besides this stuff, feel free to shoot me a PM here or anywhere else you see my nick, I'll see how I can hook ya up

Aside: Just in case AbyBeats comes back in here, mind giving me a basic comparison/gist of the community of FSC compared to some other places I might be more familiar with? Applied for an invite in the recruitment thread somewhere else, heard good things and bad things (Like anywhere else ). JUst figured I read your posts over at TPS/FST/other places, and it seems you are on the ball with this stuff, just curious of your opinion. Anyone else that's a member and wants to chime in, you're more than welcome to

10. BitTorrent   -   #40
    Quote Originally Posted by kingeater
    Aside: Just in case AbyBeats comes back in here, mind giving me a basic comparison/gist of the community of FSC compared to some other places I might be more familiar with? Applied for an invite in the recruitment thread somewhere else, heard good things and bad things (Like anywhere else ). JUst figured I read your posts over at TPS/FST/other places, and it seems you are on the ball with this stuff, just curious of your opinion. Anyone else that's a member and wants to chime in, you're more than welcome to
    Click here
    That pretty much sums it up

Yeah aren't those complexes paradoxically the same?
    Lets put it this way,Most trackers and staff have superiority complex and most members have inferiority complex.That's a good example to differentiate the both

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast