Thread: binsearch vs. nzbindex vs. newzleecher as of Sept 2010

mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    So I used to use newzleecher and nzbindex, but now I'm only using binsearch.info

The reason is that I check my completion rate for posts using each of the 3, and I have inconsistent results. Even after a week, newzleecher and nzbindex show incomplete files, and usually it's for different parts of different files, even though they are complete on binsearch. So what's up with that, have these other indexing sites just gone to shit lately? I don't remember finding so many incompletes a month ago. Has anyone noticed the same trend with these sites specifically?

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Cubbie's Avatar Poster
    I use nzbindex.nl and I've been noticing incomplete files. When I switch over to binsearch.nfo, the files are there.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    newsgroupie
    Do you mean the incompletes are with new files posted to usenet in the last few weeks rather than old files? If so, the problem is likely Giganews's fault.

Giganews has had major header completion problems on articles posted during the last few weeks, and any usenet search service that uses Giganews can be expected to be riddled with incomplete files. I'm quite sure that Binsearch used Giganews (at least recently) but if they were showing complete articles that other search engines are missing, then I suspect that someone might have intervened and fixed Binsearch's (presumed) missing-article problem, such as by switching to another provider's newsfeed.

I suggest trying a search engine that feeds from a different provider other than Giganews. It's hard to know which NSP a search engine gets its feed from -they rarely say- requiring a bit of detective work. YabSearch www.yabsearch.nl is owned by YabNews, a reseller of XSnews, so it's likely that their search engine uses XSnews.

Although most search engines today probably use Giganews due to its perceived superior reliability, there could be some that are seriously considering swiching providers after Giganews' recent problems.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    I can't confirm for older posts, it is something I've only confirmed with newer posts, not all of them by me. Unless someone can show that this is occurring with older posts as well, then what you say, zot, makes a lot of sense. Binsearch must be using a different provider since it is showing completed files as it differs from the others I mentioned. I post using Astraweb.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    I looked at all three today, and although they appear to have slightly different 'gaps' or 'skips', they are skipping things I know from d/l'ing the headers from various servers that none of the three is using Astraweb as a source, most probably either Giganews or some system that directly peers from Giganews.

And since they (GN) is royally off the tracks right now, all three of the folks are 'off' as well. I'd like to see a nzb/server out there that uses either Astraweb or Usenet-Server instead of Giganews. Or maybe one that utilizes all three, to ensure that if one (or more) goes off the tracks, the nzb's they are generating are as good/pristine as possible.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    I haven't seen any incompletes yet for stuff on binsearch, so I'm still using them for now

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Disme's Avatar I'm Belgian BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    I noticed the same phenomenon. I mainly use yabsearch, nzbindex and binsearch and even with new files I get incomplete results where as in binsearch there's no missing files at all.
    Last edited by Disme; 09-15-2010 at 07:41 AM.
    Can you feel the LOVE

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    newsgroupie
    Quote Originally Posted by Beck38 View Post
    I'd like to see a nzb/server out there that uses either Astraweb or Usenet-Server instead of Giganews.
    BinTube is the only search engine I know that gets its feed from Astraweb, but it's no longer a free service.

Quote Originally Posted by Beck38 View Post
    Or maybe one that utilizes all three, to ensure that if one (or more) goes off the tracks, the nzb's they are generating are as good/pristine as possible.
    Hopefully that will happen some day. Newsreaders like Usenet Explorer and Newsbin (but apparently not Newsleecher) allow you to set up backup servers for header downloads to catch any missing headers, so there's no reason why a search engine site can't do the same.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    It's been happening in all search engines, remember most of the auto-posters and posters use Astraweb and was having issues last week, incomplete should be fixed for now, just remember the majority use Astra for posting.

BTW, in case no ONE has noticed both BS and NZBi both say if a file is password protected, mostly anyway.
    [center]

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    WHiKWiRE's Avatar MooPhEuS
    I'm a binsearch man. Even more so now that I use sabnzbd. nzbdStatus really makes it a breeze.