Thread: What's Limiting My Download Speeds?

nye's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Problem Resolved!
    Last edited by nye; 10-20-2010 at 06:35 PM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    This has a variety of causes. Firstly, not even using private trackers is a guarantee you will max your line out - which sites are you downloading from? Tell us that, and make sure you're using good max. connections and upload speed limit settings. I'd also do a Google search for your ISP's name plus "shaping" or "p2p throttling" to see if they're known to engage in such practices.
    "Come visit sometime, okay? We'll always be here for you. We... we all love you."

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    nye's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Excellent suggestions, thanks.
    Last edited by nye; 10-20-2010 at 06:36 PM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by nye View Post
    I use "unlimited" settings and no caps in all of my uTorrent settings. Is that the right way to go?
    Nope, it isn't. Thankfully, uTorrent has a "guide" that will auto-detect your connection speed and set them accordingly. Close all other applications, stop all torrents, and give that a try.

My big question is what should my limit be? I mean, I would think I would be able to download at just short of 30MB/s...you know? Is that not possible? What is the cap I should be pleased with on this specific connection, for instance?
    30MB/s is possible if there are plenty of high-speed seeders/seedboxes in the swarm, and you have a hard disk that can write at that speed.

Most of the time you won't get continuous, maximum speed, but if you manage to reach 80% of the download rates your ISP is supposed to offer you, you can consider yourself satisfied, I think.
    "Come visit sometime, okay? We'll always be here for you. We... we all love you."

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    To check if your ISP's cutting you off, you could call it and accuse them of traffic-shaping, and if your complaint bears any weight your ISP will take off the speed limits promptly; if not, well you have nothing to lose anyway. But I'm sure I've seen plenty of users on IPT forums claiming they have broken 11-15mB/s in download speed, so there's a high chance that your ISP's fiddling with the flow. Mine did.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    DISABLED PRIVS BT Rep: +5
    1,5 mb is my limit

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lee551's Avatar no soup for you! BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by nye View Post
    Here is a speed test:

My big question is what should my limit be? I mean, I would think I would be able to download at just short of 30MB/s...you know? Is that not possible? What is the cap I should be pleased with on this specific connection, for instance?

(Also, for the record, I see similar percentages off my theoretical max with upload rates.)
    Your speedtest shows ~30Mb/s. I think this is classic Mb/s and MB/s confusion (bits != bytes).

Your ISP and the speedtest will quote your speed in megabits per second. Your torrent client will usually show you speeds in kilobytes or megabytes per second. 30Mb/s would be ~3.75MB/s. If you get around 3MB/s on your 30Mb/s line, and around 1MB/s down on your 8Mb/s line, that is correct and you are in fact maxing it out.