Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Giganews is ****'ing up Usenet

SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypatia View Post
    Actually dont blame all giganews. Astraweb is working not so good recently as well(with headers).
    You see them as complete in a newsreader but when u actually download them u get lots of "not found on server".
    Astraweb has started to process uploaded data quite slow..

I just said they were having issues, Astraweb is always been like this you can one bad week out of 6 months and people think it's the end of Usenet, jesus. If it's bad on Astraweb it will be bad on the rest, why? The "posters" use Astraweb and it propogates from there, bad on one end it will be on there end to....
    [center]

2. Newsgroups   -   #22
    The big problem/issue I started seeing with GN, is that too many folks 'downstream' from them, either peers as other newsgroup providers, or as nzb vacuums like Newzleech, Binsearch,even Newzbin, et. al,, are (because of the way they have set themselves up) simply too dependent on GN as a whole.

It's great when everything runs 100%; however, in looking back over the 'gaps' of the last week on GN, although it appears that some of them have been 'filling in', most if not all of when it started going off the tracks (sometime around the 15th of September), those gaps haven't really 'filled in' at all. Note that this includes both the us and eu servers.

I'd say this should, 'should', give the operators (those mentioned above) a bit of a pause, to re-think their operations.

3. Newsgroups   -   #23
    Quote Originally Posted by nntpjunkie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ericab View Post
    im moving on from giganews (supernews to be specific)

it seems every other post i download (a.b.x264, teevee, and moovie) needs major repairs.

tommorow i'll be moving to readnews. (usenetnow).
    I think usenetnow/readnews are backended by giganews aren't they?
    No. As ericab mentioned they resell readnews.com. This has been hashed out before. Please search the older threads if you need more proof.

4. Newsgroups   -   #24
    towerblocks's Avatar MW2 ADDiCT
    Its astraweb that fuckings everything up, Alot of incomplete uploads today, This has been going on for a few months now, Posts aren't propergating.

One hour it can be fine, Then the next incomplete heaven.
    Last edited by towerblocks; 09-26-2010 at 07:21 PM.

5. Newsgroups   -   #25
    Yep. SO true,man
    id seriously recommend efnet guys to have a backup giganews account for posting if astraweb starts getting fucked up again.
    This is getting ridiculous

6. Newsgroups   -   #26
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    My god it's the end of the internet!!!!

Common ffs, it happens like once every 6 moths and people get the panies in a bunch, chill the fuck out.
    [center]

7. Newsgroups   -   #27
    newsgroupie
    It seems that Astraweb has been doing some maintenance, so hopefully all is OK now.

8. Newsgroups   -   #28
    Quote Originally Posted by SonsOfLiberty View Post
    My god it's the end of the internet!!!!

Common ffs, it happens like once every 6 moths and people get the panies in a bunch, chill the fuck out.
    After some of the big problems when the server plants started aggressively expanding/upgrading in the fall of 2008, I thought that these folks would be watching things a bit closer. Apparently, I was wrong.

Too many folks 'downstream' rely too heavily on GN, period. Yep, maybe Astra is next 'in line' to screw the pooch. But if I, sitting thousands of miles (and a dozen or more 'hops') from their plant can see their train starting to go off the tracks, and their staff, sitting right next to it can't, it shows problems with their staffing/engineering.

9. Newsgroups   -   #29
    newsgroupie
    I'm fairly sure these providers knew that there were problems. Just because on the surface they seem to "act dumb" doesn't mean they aren't furiously working behind the scenes to fix things. One thing I've noticed is that the bigger any company gets, the less likely they are going to be open and honest about their problems - whether to the company's staff/support or to the public. Maybe this is in part because big companies tend to be run more by public-relations, accounting, and legal-types, rather than by simple tech geeks.

A few years ago, when they were still small companies, Astraweb, Easynews, and Newshosting would report on their server log page every little everyday problem they encountered - whether it affected end-users or not. Not so today.
    But then Giganews, for years the biggest company in the business, has always been more tight-lipped about ongoing server issues than most other providers.

I rather miss the old days, when USPs would post a virtual diary of everything they did each day and all the problems they fixed. Now whenever something goes wrong, it seems they pray that no one will ever notice, and only after enough people complain (sometimes many weeks after) do they ever publicly admit that anything went wrong.

For example, in late 2008 it took Giganews about a month or more before they addressed their problems (and they still never corrected their web page that overstated retention by 50 days) and in 2008-2009 it took about 5 months of daily complaints and long-term customers leaving before Easynews finally put out a statement halfway-admitting what everyone already knew: that their system was completely screwed up.

10. Newsgroups   -   #30
    Astrawebs is again fucking up propagation of posts\\\ in ab erotica.posted 18 min ago and is still not completed. just tried with giganews and newshosting. the same thing
    . Thats the problem with astra..One moment its OK another one its fucked.. this is really getting to me.. frigging efnet should get themselves cheap giganews block accounts for posting since astra seems not to care about fixing their shit...

PS Interesting.. articles progagation between astraweb and highwinds is better in these fucked up hours than between giganews and astraweb
    Last edited by Hypatia; 10-03-2010 at 07:41 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast