Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recent giganews header download- totally incomplete as of now

whats going on? All my headers are shown incomplete and i cant download shit using them. Is anyone having the same issue? all stuff posted <3 h ago
    Last edited by Hypatia; 09-06-2010 at 11:32 PM.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    MultiForce's Avatar Poster
    What groups?

Seems to work for the few groups I have a.b.warez and a few other naughty ones

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    On newsleecher forums some guys also noticed it since supersearch engine grabs headers from giganews.
    http://www.newsleecher.com/forum/vie...1c2c51b7#99726

alt.binaries.erotica was completely fucked up for several hours on giganews.
    Last edited by Hypatia; 09-07-2010 at 04:22 PM.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Been noticing this lately especially in alt.bin.tv - umm Giganews is getting to big for their boots getting retarded with their retention level....no surprise here

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Fortunately its only compressed headers that are fucked up. SO if u get nzb for instance or use another means of getting necessary data u can download it..but still.. really frustrating

from giganews

Yesterday, our feeding between our locations had problems
    >and now we have a backlog of header information. That means the
    >articles have made it to all the sites, but the headers haven't. So,
    >NZB files still work, but you see incompletes when looking at groups.
    >
    Last edited by Hypatia; 09-07-2010 at 08:51 PM.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    There is a rather long and involved discussion going on over at Newzbin(2) about a lot of this...

But I noticed in the past couple of weeks that Newzbin(2), using whatever service they are to vacuum up things, was having a fair amount of problems, simply because I tend to keep a fairly strict eye on 3-4 different providers (mostly Giganews, Astraweb, Usnenet-News, and occasionally some others I have block accounts with just for this purpose), that 'usually' were not getting any 'gaps' in coverage while Newzbin(2) was getting massive 'gaps'.

One other 'vacuum' out there I use extensively, Newzleech, didn't appear to have any problems, even on parts that Giganews (in quite a few cases) appeared to be. Where exactly the problem originated, or the 'gaps' were being created, is still a bit of a mystery, but from my perspective (and the files/nzb's I ran down) it appeared to originate with Giganews, and get replicated from there. Neither Astraweb or Usenet-News had the same 'gaps', in the same files, that they had.

Any service relying on Giganews as a central (or only) 'peer', therefore, was in big doo doo. Just kinda goes to show that some kind of 'defense in depth' is needed. But like I said, it 'appeared' that way for the gaps that I tracked down, possibly it might be different with others.

Kinda goes to show that usenet is not perfect, by any means. But some of the operators don't keep a well-trained and eagle eye on their (or others) operation(s).

BTW, I might add that I appear to be getting some malware from the Newzbin(2) site; not completely verified, but just about there confirming it. Anyone logging in to it should be aware (it's ether them or this site...)
    Last edited by Beck38; 09-08-2010 at 01:06 AM.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    ericab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypatia View Post
    whats going on? All my headers are shown incomplete and i cant download shit using them. Is anyone having the same issue? all stuff posted <3 h ago

yeah your not the only one... just about everything in a.b.teevee and .x264 is incomplete for me.
    im with supernews
    An Excerpt from: A Declaration of the Independence of Cyberspace
    by John Perry Barlow
    Governments of the Industrial World, you weary giants of flesh and steel, I come from Cyberspace, the new home of Mind. On behalf of the future, I ask you of the past to leave us alone. You are not welcome among us. You have no sovereignty where we gather [...] I declare the global social space we are building to be naturally independent of the tyrannies you seek to impose on us.
    Read more here

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    the problem is still there\\\ none of my autodownloads worked FFS
    had to get all thes tuff through nzb's grrrrr

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Beck38 View Post
    BTW, I might add that I appear to be getting some malware from the Newzbin(2) site; not completely verified, but just about there confirming it. Anyone logging in to it should be aware (it's ether them or this site...)
    While investigating this, I found that one (or several) of the programs that web folks use to 'serve' up the advertising (just like at the top of this page!), were totally hacked by the 'usual suspects', and it meant that any web site using that 'system' was feeding malware of all types and descriptions to their users.

This has gotten totally out of hand, and 99% of it is coming right out of far east commie-land. What is worse is that many of the largest ISP's in the U.S. (hmm, like the Comcast I'm on) don't appear to be taking much of a proactive approach to blocking the IP addresses from these industrial spy/malware 'factories'. It really makes the wave of crud we lived through during the collapse of the Soviets 20 years ago look like child's play. The good blocking programs out there seem to be on their toes, though, and a lot of the 'majors' are just now releasing their '2011' versions, so look for good deals.

Add: Had a bit of time to take a look see at Giganews, and whether or not they were still in 'massive skip mode' today....

YEP, it appears so, in looking at things that were posted withing the last 24hrs or so. Both Astraweb and Usenet-News, NO PROBLEMS whatsoever. Both GN/US and EU have problems, although not quite the same 'skips', but simply very large 'gaps' in their articles.

In case anyone missed it, Newzbin moved their feed over to US/Astraweb, but today is non-responsive for whatever reason.

Okay, it's back up; but still appears to be 'sourced' from Giganews as there are massive 'skips' in the 'raw' listings.

Pitiful. Don't use Giganews to generate ANY nzb, go over to Newzleech or other place.

UPDATE: Except, of course, they use Giganews as their feed, so everything the last few days has been toast, just like alll the other nzb generating engines out there.
    Last edited by Beck38; 09-16-2010 at 02:37 AM. Reason: update Giganews Problems

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    newsgroupie
    Giganews is one of the very few usenet providers that does not keep a server status page, and they did not report this problem on their website's blog (which is apparently only used for reporting good news/things to brag about).

Is there any mention of this problem on Giganews own internal newsgroup giganews.general?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast