Thread: HDCP antipiracy leak opens doors for black boxes

Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24

2. vBCms Comments   -   #2
    sandman_1's Avatar Poster
    Kocher speculated that it came from someone who either had access to the keys during the development process or someone involved in testing HDCP-based devices or the chips that go in them.

According to an article over at Wired, an Intel spokesman said this:

Waldrop said Intel did not believe that a “human source” entrusted with the master key leaked it because the master is “created and structured that nobody sees it.”

“Someone has used mathematics and computers to be able to work back to what the master key is,” he said, declining to elaborate.
    http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...ens-consumers/

So it probably wasn't an inside job.

3. vBCms Comments   -   #3
    hotshot6473's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    We have already been able to record cable TV because 5c is already hacked. IPTV and satellite is now wide open though.

Still this can't be used by normal users because you are recording an untouched uncompressed stream which can be in the 100s of GB by the end of an episode unlike recording the untouched compressed stream sent to you by the cable company which is the same quality at a much smaller size

4. vBCms Comments   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by hotshot6473 View Post
    We have already been able to record cable TV because 5c is already hacked. IPTV and satellite is now wide open though.

Still this can't be used by normal users because you are recording an untouched uncompressed stream which can be in the 100s of GB by the end of an episode unlike recording the untouched compressed stream sent to you by the cable company which is the same quality at a much smaller size
    Could you elaborate more on that. I thought Cable HD streams are around 10Mbps. AT&T Uverse, IPTV, HD Streams are around 6Mbps. FIOS HD streams from what I hear are around 30Mbps. OTA HD is around 19Mbps max. These wouldn't be 100's of Gigabytes but definitely would be Gigabytes worth of data for let's say for the normal hour long TV show. 1080p Bluray is around 54Mbps. Or am I wrong? I have read that for a uncompressed 720p stream, key term uncompressed, it would require 1Gbps bandwidth. However, what is being transmitted OTA, for instance, is compressed already and then transmitted.
    Last edited by sandman_1; 09-20-2010 at 01:49 PM.

5. vBCms Comments   -   #5
    hotshot6473's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    what goes over the cable lines is a compressed stream. The settop box then decodes that stream and passes the uncompressed stream through the hdmi to the tv. That uncompressed stream is absolutely huge but the same quality as the compressed stream coming over the cable line to you.

BTW the max bitrate on either OTA or any cable company is about 18Mbps(I have Fios the max I get is 18Mbps). Satellite and IPTV use H.264 compression on their video which makes it smaller and look horrible because they use very low bitrates. However companies like Directv have some channels nobody else have so technically if recorded via hdmi it would be the best quality you could get it at baring no Bluray release in the future.

6. vBCms Comments   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by hotshot6473 View Post
    what goes over the cable lines is a compressed stream. The settop box then decodes that stream and passes the uncompressed stream through the hdmi to the tv. That uncompressed stream is absolutely huge but the same quality as the compressed stream coming over the cable line to you.

BTW the max bitrate on either OTA or any cable company is about 18Mbps(I have Fios the max I get is 18Mbps). Satellite and IPTV use H.264 compression on their video which makes it smaller and look horrible because they use very low bitrates. However companies like Directv have some channels nobody else have so technically if recorded via hdmi it would be the best quality you could get it at baring no Bluray release in the future.
    Makes sense. I guess someone would have to implement some on the fly compression to record the video for this to be viable.

7. vBCms Comments   -   #7
    I'm looking forward to see what happens with this.