Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: BTracs hacking accounts of trackers

Sorry for the confusion but i meant publicly banned/disabled and possibly their ip shared. I wasn't referring to talking to tracker personnelle for their is nothing to be gained there for that forum. But Cabalo i ask you if it were an extreme situation where you had proof and an infamous hacker was potentially involved would you share that info with tracker staff.

2. BitTorrent   -   #22
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    After having been on that dilemma for some time, and after discussing this with other more experienced staff than me, I came to the conclusion I wouldn't share such info.
    There are a ton of reasons not to do it. Though I know most trackers would appreciate that, we simply can't or won't do that. Under any circumstance.

If I ever had a strong will to do that? Yes, more than once. But other values speak higher than my personal ones on these issues, so it won't happen.

3. BitTorrent   -   #23
    I never heard of BTRACS until now. My guess is people just using the same password for everything

4. BitTorrent   -   #24
    bijoy's Avatar secret lover BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by anon-sbi View Post
    Never use the same password on more than one site, simple. BTRACS isn't the only place that stores passes as plaintext.
    But this is not possible practically at all for any user.. Am I wrong??
    back to the topic, its a shame that one forum is stealing account passwords..

Quote Originally Posted by gravey View Post
    I never heard of BTRACS until now. My guess is people just using the same password for everything
    Oh, what are you doing here by posting such a short line?? Collecting 20 valuable posts? :-P
    Last edited by bijoy; 09-23-2010 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

5. BitTorrent   -   #25
    Quote Originally Posted by bijoy View Post
    But this is not possible practically at all for any user.. Am I wrong??
    Just use KeePass or any other password manager.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

6. BitTorrent   -   #26
    Tokeman's Avatar Ron Paul 2012 BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Or just use notepad...
    If you're paranoid, put the txt file in a pw protected rar

7. BitTorrent   -   #27
    Quote Originally Posted by blurayripper View Post
    chrisbeebops, i think you got BTRACS mistaken for one of those shady torrentinvite auction type forums. BTRACS is essentially a junior version of FST with the majority of the site dedicated to file sharing and BitTorrent discussions. Like FST it has a Trade, Request and Giveaway section and the majority of members do not trade/sell invites. It's usually the younger cats who are eager to jump into that trading game and some quickly get burned or disabled and learn their lesson. There are also rare occasions when thieves and scammers do get publicly reported and the same thing would happen here. I could pass you what i'm smoking but i guarantee you may enjoy it.
    Uh... no.

BTRACS closed user registration, created a no movement list, and set their trading and selling section so it could be viewed by registered users only in order to make it look like they've cleaned up their act. Nothing has changed, they've just changed their appearance in order to draw attention away from themselves. The no movement list isn't enforced, and it is currently impossible for sites to add themselves to the list, as you must PM a mod on BTRACS in order to add yourself, but cannot do so if you cannot register on the site. Not to mention that most of the regulars have migrated to another hidden trading/selling section called Black Hallways or similar.

I've seen the things BTRACS mods have done, anything from banning tracker staff accounts when they identify themselves as tracker staff to scamming their own users of their accounts and then selling the accounts to pay for the server bills.

There are some torrent forums which are mainly designed for discussion, with a smaller trading section. BTRACS most definitely does not fit that description.
    Last edited by chrisbeebops; 09-24-2010 at 03:14 PM.

8. BitTorrent   -   #28
    Disme's Avatar I'm Belgian BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Has it ever occured to the people slandering and flaming upon traders/sellers, that there are a lot of people that feel the same about regular P2P-users.

After all P2P-users are still thieves. The honest people that buy their CD's/DVD's/appz look at us in the same way we look at the traders and/or sellers.

I know there is honor amongst the regular P2P-community. So I always wonder if there isn't honor amongst certain traders/sellers. People that are honest when selling invites, that don't scam others and traders that trade honestly.
    Last edited by Disme; 09-24-2010 at 04:33 PM.
    Can you feel the LOVE

9. BitTorrent   -   #29
    I completely understand your point chrisbeebops and it must of been shady and frustrating but times are changing. Registration is now open, you can now add a tracker to the NML list and it is enforced. Also selling trackers/invites for cash is now banned. From what i heard recently there is very little activity in the black hallways and that was setup to escape the clutches of tracker staff, who were doing a solid job disabling traders and invite givers. It's pretty clear that they didn't want anything to do with tracker staff apart from maybe setting up a recruitment thread but i think that will change and they are trying to clean up their act. That reference you made to scamming their own users out of accounts that was once done publicly via a mod to a known thief who scammed several members and the accounts were not sold as planned. I have no proof they weren't sold but that is what members were told.
    I'm defending them on this thread for i hate when the facts aren't straight but in my opinion it's a complete joke thinking they regularly hack their own users accounts. I have not seen one post on their site with a user complaining about this and there is no proof of this. But we can bullshit and call them shady or whatever for days on end but odds of this threads hacking claim ever being supported by facts are slim to none.

10. BitTorrent   -   #30
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisbeebops View Post
    BTRACS closed user registration, created a no movement list, and set their trading and selling section so it could be viewed by registered users only in order to make it look like they've cleaned up their act. Nothing has changed, they've just changed their appearance in order to draw attention away from themselves. The no movement list isn't enforced, and it is currently impossible for sites to add themselves to the list, as you must PM a mod on BTRACS in order to add yourself, but cannot do so if you cannot register on the site. Not to mention that most of the regulars have migrated to another hidden trading/selling section called Black Hallways or similar.

I've seen the things BTRACS mods have done, anything from banning tracker staff accounts when they identify themselves as tracker staff to scamming their own users of their accounts and then selling the accounts to pay for the server bills.

There are some torrent forums which are mainly designed for discussion, with a smaller trading section. BTRACS most definitely does not fit that description.
    Perfectly spoken.

BTRACS attempted to 'clean up their act' a few months back - at least publicly - by announcing that they were no longer allowing Invite/Account SALES (although trades could continue). It was even included in a new 'sticky' rule which stipulated such new restrictions. After about two or three weeks of this, the site noticeably began to get much less traffic as people jumped ship over to other shady forums. Anyone can see exactly what was their bread-n-butter, and that's in the selling of accounts/invites. Staff even knew it.

So those 'new' rules have gone by the wayside, and BTRACS is exactly where they were before these changes. To think otherwise is foolishness.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast