Thread: Website Creation Help

Hello,someone has asked me to create a website for them for their shop. They are wishing it to be used for online ordering, stock browsing etc.
    I'm assuming this would be done with either PHP or some other web code?
    I have no prior experience with this, so should I tell him I cant do it or is it possible for me to pick up enough to make it work, thus making a few quid? And If so, where should I start?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Double Agent
    i think you should be honest with them

U R A NOOB!!!!

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    MediaSlayer's Avatar slowly going deaf
    that was harsh. anyway, i would use dreambeaver

sending fiery missiles in manker's japan's general direction.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    I think you should be honest with them if you dont have much time. For many things you can just do in html via frontpage or dreamweaver if you dont have any prior html coding experience.
    btw, you know how to design pages dont u? If no then its better to be honest with them and let them know you are still trying to learn about it. And you should explore more about it.
    The forms for ordering can be designed in php as well as in cgi (you can just send the form through email). For payments, you can use PayPal if you don't want to go through all the secure payment method which will take a while for you to learn.

In any case, if i were you, i would be honest with them and still learn how to do this stuff so next time anyone asks, i would at least have an idea how to do it.

Cheers!
    I.am
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    echidna's Avatar Poster
    i agree with i.am you might be able to rig up something like oscommerce and get it going. but if your not sure you will at least have to employ help to do what you can&#39;t figure.
    you should understand how and what the php[or .whatever] interface is doing and the server that the site is hosted from not only has to be able to &#39;do&#39; php you will also want to get secure connections and database access, then you might need to get a credit card merchant account to interface with your shop
    before any of that there is the security of the box and OS that is running the server, who is responsible for what and can you check that they&#39;re doing what they claim.

in short if you don&#39;t feel confident you&#39;ll need help, and will have a lot to learn.
    don&#39;t bluff your way into making a shop with a balsa wood security door.

don&#39;t despair building on online shop is not rocket science
    i would recommend trying to avoid windows based out of the box solutions [i reckon you would be asking to get hacked]

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Hey cant you guys add some links in how to built a website, the easiest fastest and cheaper way.... Thanks

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Originally posted by pingus@5 November 2003 - 09:27
    Hey cant you guys add some links in how to built a website, the easiest fastest and cheaper way.... Thanks
    I would have but have an urgent work to do. Lots of discussion have been done over this so trying Search here would give you all the topics mentioned before.

If you are in a business then you should know much more than what has been talked. However if you are trying to make a personal homepage then the search would help. If i get time later i might post a beginner&#39;s guide to start homepage.

Here is one topic I posted few days back Website tips and tricks

Its for much later use in designing not really at the beginners level.

Cheers&#33;
    -
    I.am
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@5 November 2003 - 05:31
    i think you should be honest with them

U R A NOOB&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
    Yes, I may be a "NOOB&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;" but I would suggest there are worse things to be in life.

Thanks to everyone else for their help B)