Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost My Pictures

Question Mark

Hi,
    I wonder if anyone has a solution to my problem... I logged on today to find all (well most of them) my pictures have gone from the My Pictures folder, weird thing is that a small number of them are there and all the folders are there but nothing inside them ... if I do a Properties check on the folder it shows still a massive 4GB inside it including 1,000 files and so many folders etc. as if they are still there. There are a few in my recycle bin but not many... I did not put them there!!
    I was just about to back them up .. I know I know big mistake .

Anyone know if there is a way to get my pictures back? Why did this happen?

Thanks in advance

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLY-THE-FISH View Post
    if I do a Properties check on the folder it shows still a massive 4GB inside it including 1,000 files and so many folders etc. as if they are still there.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ddenfiles.mspx

Perhaps someone used your computer and hid them?
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Yes tried that.. and no one has used it but thanks

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    Try http://www.piriform.com/recuva
    there are other more precise programs, but the latter should help.
    Enjoy

Edit: do as little as possible with your pc until you recover the files. Everything you do overwrites history.
    Last edited by 100%; 09-28-2010 at 03:45 PM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Thanks I'll give it a try... have tried everything else I can think of, I've tried system restore and Diskchk etc. and still no pics .

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by 100% View Post
    I was going to suggest that, but he said going to Properties says the folder is just as "heavy" as it was before the pictures were gone, and that made me doubt a bit. Anyway, it may be worth a try.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Tried that and it found no .jpg's I think I am resigned to have lost them

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    I've been in your situation and I used Advanved Photo Recovery. It recovered most of my pictures. But some of them were corrupt/broken.
    Good luck.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    nye's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I have a really tough time believing you would have lost actual data if the folder is reading the same size. If anything, corrupted. Try some disk recovery software. I don't believe you would even want to use System Restore in this type of scenario.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    Given the fact that the more you try in Windows the greater the risk of overwriting the files. The first thing I would do is image the drive to an external drive with a boot disc. At least then you would have a copy of it to keep trying different things on. You may even be lucky and it is just a Windows thing and the pictures may be there in a non-windows enviroment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast