Thread: Best way to do Unattended Automated Reinstall of Windows + other Programs.

100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    I need to reinstall 3 pc's.
    I would like include registry settings also. (services etc)
    Do these auto installs work with cracked programs eg. photoshop?

using xp maybe win7 soon

thank you in advance.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    If what you want to make is an unattended and customized install CD, nLite should do the trick for XP. It allows you to remove a bunch of the stuff that's installed by default, as well as bundling your own drivers and applications. There was another similar program for 7, if you decide to go that way.

I don't see why they shouldn't work with Photoshop, as long as you don't remove any component the latter uses (careful with DLLs).
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Thank you nlite was what i was looking for.
    Will also use http://ninite.com/ for a few separate programs.

Mind boggling program nlite.
    Just a few questions.
    You said there was another program for win7? While going through nlite it seems it is also designed for win7.

In relation to adding cracked programs, i do not see an option for it in nlite. Other than adding the actual installer to the bootable cd.
    And what do mean with "I don't see why they shouldn't work with Photoshop, as long as you don't remove any component the latter uses (careful with DLLs). "

Thanks in advance.

Also i am in doubt about this part

, should i leave it at "hide"?

Thanks
    Last edited by 100%; 09-28-2010 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Are the three PC's Identical?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    should worl fairly easily.
    photoshop wont be a problem

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by 100% View Post
    You said there was another program for win7? While going through nlite it seems it is also designed for win7.
    I know that vLite partly supports 7 and RT Se7ven Lite was designed for it.

In relation to adding cracked programs, i do not see an option for it in nlite. Other than adding the actual installer to the bootable cd.
    I remember there was a way to do that. Maybe I'm confusing it with a different app.

And what do mean with "I don't see why they shouldn't work with Photoshop, as long as you don't remove any component the latter uses (careful with DLLs). "
    Some programs and parts of Windows rely on certain files or services being present to work properly, or at all. For example, if you disable the Windows Management Instrumentation service, System Information will not work. If you remove the Telephony service, dial-up networking, RAS and VPNs will no longer work.

There's a sticky about what not to remove to avoid breaking programs, but Photoshop isn't mentioned there:
    http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/6636...some-programs/

Also i am in doubt about this part

*image*

, should i leave it at "hide"?
    Did some searching but couldn't find anything solid. It appears DefaultHide will do almost everything unattended excepting for some small things such as registered user name and company, while FullUnattended doesn't ask for anything at all during the install process.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Thank you for responses.
    Did first unattended reinstall today, with zero problems.
    Merci.

Amazing program that nlite, i have wasted hours of my life reinstalling, this is magic.

No all 3 pcs are different, so i set them up with different drivers of course.

ciao.
    Will look into

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Its too bad they're not identical. I can use Acronis to create an image of one PC and load it onto another Identical one with a blank formated hard drive (drivers and all) in 4 or 5 minutes (10gigs). Installing Windows XP takes be about 40 minutes and thats with no programs or utilities (some critical updates integrated with nlite saves some time there).
    On the nlite site there is a links button where you can find the criticals to integrate from some guy who makes them and keeps them up to date (Xable update packs). I always keep a copy of the original XPSP3 extracted files just for that purpose. Other addons and drivers can cause issues but there is also a tweak section that you can go thru to set stuff you would normally do anyway like show hidden files, don't hide file extentions of known files types and stuff like that. Whats cool, I start with a direct extraction of the XP disk and when nlite is done the final iso it creates is smaller than the original even with all the criticals added cause the compression is so much better.