Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Instalation Of Linux- Suse9

Ok, so maybe it's not quite that bad but it could have been

A few things.

First, I installed the first disk with very little problems. Inserted second disk and reached a point where it wanted me to enter the admins password. This is the first roadblock.

My keyboard does not seem to be recognized at this point. I cannot enter a password and therefore cannot continue with the instalation. At any point up until this time, the keyboard is fine.

So I tried the process again with the same results.

Here is where it got real scary

I decided to leave the instalation till a later date and after I could solve the keyboard problem. So I re-booted the computer so I could boot XP. Shut off the computer, re-start and what do I get? Linux booting again. No options to choose from OS first. No password login for the DiskCrypt program. Just linux with all the above problems and being stuck in the middle of an install.

I tried to enter safe mode (XP) with no luck, just straight to Linux. Now I'm thinking I am gonna have to format and begin again

Then I remembered that when I installed the DiskCrypt that I made a emergency boot disk for if the program didn't let me in after the initial install. I popped it in and re-booted and finally got the login screen of DiskCrypt. Logged in and had the choice of OS's (but not the Linux one, just 2 XP's).

Now I can open XP, but only using the DiskCrypt boot disk first.

Can anyone give me some advice on my keyboard problem (why it isn't recognized halfway through install but is up til that point) and how to fix it?

Also, why is Linux automatically the default booting OS? And why does it not give me an option between my 2 XP's and Linux?

I am afraid that I will need to reformat and begin everything from scratch on all drives with each OS. I don't mind but only if I can successfully install the Linux. I don't want to waste my time trying to install only to have to do this again

Thanks for any advice.

TD
    Peace of mind Findnot

No time to work out? Try Folding instead.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    linux may try to install the incorrect keyboard driver. linux always runs into problems anyway - it did with mine. so i just stick 2 XP now.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Try booting from the linux CD again and choose a rescue. Mandrake uses F1 to get that option, Suse, I don't know. You should be able to restore the windows bootloader or at least set windows as default.
    IS your keyboard USB?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Hey balamm, hows it going, good to see you back

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Thanks, yes it is usb. I was just told that Linux doesn't like usb so I will pick up another keyboard and give it a try.

I was told that the booting options would have been available if the install had finished so I'll see if I can continue the install tonight when I get home with a new keyboard.

Otherwise I will re-set the boot options as suggested.

Thanks, TD
    Peace of mind Findnot

No time to work out? Try Folding instead.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    Well, I don't know if I'm back exactly. I'm just working with someone who wants to take over the smiley site, and checking mail and stuff.
    I just couldn't pass up this poor guys linux problem. Old habits die hard lol.
    Thanks anyway

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    Linux Any Good?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    It all wierd but if you install it and reinstall it enough it comes to you eventually I guess. Too much command line for my liking though.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    MediaSlayer's Avatar slowly going deaf
    Hey balaam i wasn't gonna log in cuz i'm about to goto sleep but nice to see ya! Hope you stay, we could use the company.

sending fiery missiles in manker's japan's general direction.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    MediaSlayer's Avatar slowly going deaf
    now i'm really goin sleep

sending fiery missiles in manker's japan's general direction.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast