Thread: Wasted bandwidth?

megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    I have now downloaded 4 copies of Toy Story 3. I am hoping that this one will be watchable. If not, I'll wait for a dvd rip.

My question- my actions have been inefficient. Ideally, I should have only grabbed the watchable one. But since I made mistakes (3), there is waste involved.

What have I wasted? Who is paying for my mis-use of the BT system? If this is not a problem, then we might as well download everything that gets placed on our torrent sites, right?

I am trying to figure out what my unnecessary use did to our system. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    n00bz0r's Avatar Say what? BT Rep: +5
    Your loss = other seeders gain..when we simply talk about numbers.
    Last edited by n00bz0r; 10-10-2010 at 02:51 AM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Quarterquack's Avatar sprclfrglstcxpldcs BT Rep: +3
    You have wasted your time, you slowed down the swarm since now the seeders had to split their speed down to yet another leecher, you wasted other people's bandwidth (I have a friend who torrents on a fixed hard cap, downloading multiple times from him means other people have a lesser chance to grab it as well) and you definitely wasted server resources more than you would have ideally. Such inconsequential travesties are balanced by cheating scum in swarms, idiots who partially seed/download and members unwilling to spread bandwidth around except for ratio/peen points.

I have no problem ripping a torrent site of content, given that the content was actually something interesting (insert witty line from toy story 3, here). Ideally you should get what you want, in an acceptable quality (in your eyes/opinion) no matter how many tries it takes you. It took me 16 tries to download Usher's 8701 because all the torrents I attempted had an error on track 6 (transcodes or one faulty source for all of them). I got what I wanted in the end, and that's what matters to me. Isn't that why you torrent in the first place? To get what you want?

I realize a fuck-all approach to other swarm residents/site members/the necessity of other people's downloads finishing in a timely manner isn't usually favorable in a protocol based on sharing; but then again, you download content for yourself not for the general populace, so you should also be inclined to bask in other people's willingness to share until you get what you want. Give and take some would call it.
    Ellipses go here.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    whatcdfan's Avatar A.W.A BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    we might as well download everything that gets placed on our torrent sites, right?
    thats exactly why they are placed on our torrent sites, for downloading ofcourse

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    bumrocks's Avatar Poster Roaster BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Looks like the new ViSiON one is the ticket...studio audio and all.
    Anal is the only form of birth control shown to be 100% effective. Even abstinence failed once.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    A's Avatar ... BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ringhunter
    (I have a friend who torrents on a fixed hard cap, downloading multiple times from him means other people have a lesser chance to grab it as well)
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme
    I have now downloaded 4 copies of Toy Story 3
    That doesn't mean he grabbed the same file 4 times from the same uploader.

idiots who partially seed/download
    Whats wrong with that?How do you expect people with low bandwidth to build up ratio in hard to seed sites?By grabbing huge files and then pray to God for someone to leech from them?Also if you want only certain files from a specific torrent (in case of TV series/RARs etc) you expect people to hit and run after downloading what they want?Doesn't that hurt the swarm?
    Last edited by A; 10-10-2010 at 06:31 AM.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Quarterquack's Avatar sprclfrglstcxpldcs BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by AbyBeats View Post
    That doesn't mean he grabbed the same file 4 times from the same uploader.
    1) Obviously.
    2) Which still doesn't negate my point. Hard-capped swarm person still wasted bandwidth giving MBM more than he should have, regardless if he was an uploader, a downloader, a cross-seeder or whatever. Would it suit you better if I said "it's a waste of bandwidth because you didn't put the download to good use?" It's just paraphrasing the same thing. Ideally a person seeding a torrent from a capped connection will seed XX gb's every month. You downloading a second copy of a movie you already own/downloaded previously means that one less person can utilize that seeder's services, one less person that might have not had the release to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by AbyBeats View Post
    Whats wrong with that?How do you expect people with low bandwidth to build up ratio in hard to seed sites?By grabbing huge files and then pray to God for someone to leech from them?Also if you want only certain files from a specific torrent (in case of TV series/RARs etc) you expect people to hit and run after downloading what they want?Doesn't that hurt the swarm?
    On-topic: I wasn't talking about the poor (non-existent) struggling seeder of a torrent. If I can maintain healthy ratios on many a tracker with an average 8kbps upload, anyone can. Still, I'll let you have that one, though. I was talking about the idiots that hop on cross-seeding not only across trackers, but across torrents within a tracker. "Oh look, I can just force check this one file, and I can partial seed this pack/collection/whatever." There is no way such a person is beneficial to anyone besides himself, and that was the sort of partial seeder I was talking about. The same kind of person that hops on with a 1gbps box downloads one episode/rar and seeds it for the first two weeks of a torrent's life, virtually depriving everyone else of traffic on that particular part.
    Ellipses go here.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    A's Avatar ... BT Rep: +1
    2) Which still doesn't negate my point. Hard-capped swarm person still wasted bandwidth giving MBM more than he should have, regardless if he was an uploader, a downloader, a cross-seeder or whatever. Would it suit you better if I said "it's a waste of bandwidth because you didn't put the download to good use?" It's just paraphrasing the same thing. Ideally a person seeding a torrent from a capped connection will seed XX gb's every month. You downloading a second copy of a movie you already own/downloaded previously means that one less person can utilize that seeder's services, one less person that might have not had the release to begin with.
    He is not downloading the same release,all 4 were of different release groups I assume.If that is the case then each release is different from each other even if the movie is the same,so he is downloading unique files and that is not a waste of bandwidth.A guy downloading FLAC/MP3/AAC/OGG of the same album for various reasons is wasting bandwidth?

On-topic: I wasn't talking about the poor (non-existent) struggling seeder of a torrent. If I can maintain healthy ratios on many a tracker with an average 8kbps upload, anyone can.
    No.
    Last edited by A; 10-10-2010 at 09:08 AM.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    I have now downloaded 4 copies of Toy Story 3. I am hoping that this one will be watchable. If not, I'll wait for a dvd rip.

My question- my actions have been inefficient. Ideally, I should have only grabbed the watchable one. But since I made mistakes (3), there is waste involved.

What have I wasted? Who is paying for my mis-use of the BT system? If this is not a problem, then we might as well download everything that gets placed on our torrent sites, right?

I am trying to figure out what my unnecessary use did to our system. Thanks.
    All I know is that I wasted my time reading this thread.

Btw if you aren't downloading off some site that regularly only has 20 active members then I wouldn't worry about it.
    On second thought if you are downloading off of some l33tish site with only 20 active members then chances are that 90 percent of the people involved are seedbox whores that download everything in an endless quest to pointlessly build upload in which you are the least of remaining 10 percents worry.
    Respect my lack of authority.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    What have I wasted?
    If you downloaded from seedbox IPs, then don't give this further thought.

Otherwise, it's pretty much the first paragraph of post #3. Needless to say, the tracker doesn't distinguish between boxes and residential users when giving you the IPs. The only "selection" it does is giving you leechers only when you're a seeder.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."