Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Proposition 107-- Ending Reverse Discrimination (Affirmative Action)

Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    So, how many jobs did you apply for and not get?
    One...a hundred?
    How do you know you didn't get them because of affirmative action?
    I can name one.

I went to a panel interview a few years back and was passed up for a promotion. I found out a bit later that a Mexican woman, without a degree, with a third of the years worked, and only one job ever held within the company was given the position over me, who has a degree, has far more time in the company, and has rotated to several areas in the company and has a broad knowledge of everything that goes on. When I scheduled a meeting with my Division Mgr. to find out why, he asked me, "What two things do you and I have working against us?" The answer was, "We're white and we're male."

Fuck AA. I see it constantly. If I lose an employee and need to hire another, HR will blatantly hire by the numbers. I get told all the time, I need a female, or, you have enough males you need some females, etc. If I lose a male employee in an area of my operation that requires a lot of heavy lifting, etc.. I need another male to fill that position.

If employers are going to say they don't discriminate on the basis of "race, color, religion, sex or national origin" they need to adhere to it.

yo

2. The Drawing Room   -   #32
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by sandman_1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    How do you know you didn't get them because of affirmative action?
    Because I was told by someone employed at the business. Was there a point to your line of questioning?
    Yes.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. The Drawing Room   -   #33
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by JustDOSE View Post
    wait so this means black people wont get pulled over for being black! an now whites will get pulled over just as much as our negro brothers....
    I think you would have to grant the preferred scenario would be if blacks were pulled over with the same frequency as whites (equality, you see).

Btw-

I don't know that the complaint of blacks over 'profiling' includes or accounts for when black officers accost black motorists, do you?

In any case, if it weren't for things like affirmative action, I imagine one would find the attitude of a white cop toward a black motorist might moderate a bit.

Makes sense, right?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #34
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Would it not be better just to pull over law breakers? If you don't break the law you don't get pulled over.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #35
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    Would it not be better just to pull over law breakers? If you don't break the law you don't get pulled over.
    Two problems:

1. Genuine profiling (pulled-over for being colored) is rightfully regarded as falling a bit too far on the pro-active side of the scale.

2. Genuine law-breakers (who are colored) characterize any and every "pull-over" as profiling.

See the problem?
    Last edited by j2k4; 10-29-2010 at 07:04 PM.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

6. The Drawing Room   -   #36
    whatcdfan's Avatar A.W.A BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by 999969999 View Post
    http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...ve-action.html

"Proposition 107 would amend the Arizona Constitution and ban preferential treatment for, or discrimination against, any individual or group on the basis of race, gender, color, ethnicity or national origin in public employment, education or contracting. The amendment would apply to the state government, counties and municipalities, special districts and public schools, universities and community colleges.

The ban would not be retroactive and would not prohibit officials from considering qualifications based on gender when necessary for the operation of public employment, education or contracting. It also would not prohibit efforts to abide by court orders or establish eligibility for federal programs when failing to abide would result in a loss of federal funds."

Does anyone see anything wrong with this? I don't. But yet so many people are outraged by the idea of treating all people fairly.
    one stop forward on social justice

7. The Drawing Room   -   #37
    Quote Originally Posted by l33tpirata13 View Post
    Funny, MLk's own niece ....blah blah blah.
    You're words are insignificant to me, Tio Tomas.
    So, any Hispanic who doesn't blindly follow the leftist, communist, and racist La Raza mindset is an Uncle Tom?
    Who can take your money and give it to someone else? The Government Can! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO2eh...layer_embedded

8. The Drawing Room   -   #38
    Quote Originally Posted by whatcdfan View Post
    http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...ve-action.html

"Proposition 107 would amend the Arizona Constitution and ban preferential treatment for, or discrimination against, any individual or group on the basis of race, gender, color, ethnicity or national origin in public employment, education or contracting. The amendment would apply to the state government, counties and municipalities, special districts and public schools, universities and community colleges.

The ban would not be retroactive and would not prohibit officials from considering qualifications based on gender when necessary for the operation of public employment, education or contracting. It also would not prohibit efforts to abide by court orders or establish eligibility for federal programs when failing to abide would result in a loss of federal funds."

Does anyone see anything wrong with this? I don't. But yet so many people are outraged by the idea of treating all people fairly.
    one stop forward on social justice
    Freudian accuracy, ftw.

Quote Originally Posted by l33tpirata13 View Post

You're words are insignificant to me, Tio Tomas.
    So, any Hispanic who doesn't blindly follow the leftist, communist, and racist La Raza mindset is an Uncle Tom?
    That's what he said, yup.

-Mark Twain

9. The Drawing Room   -   #39
    I am delighted to report that Proposition 107 passed by 60% of Arizona voters. It is now against state law to offer preferential treatment in hiring based upon a person's skin color, ethnic background, or gender.
    Who can take your money and give it to someone else? The Government Can! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO2eh...layer_embedded

10. The Drawing Room   -   #40
    I am delighted to report that Proposition 107 passed by 60% of Arizona voters. It is now against state law to offer preferential treatment in hiring based upon a person's skin color, ethnic background, or gender.
    Huzzah.

About fucking time.

-Mark Twain

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast