Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: short santrex review

Purchased the basic $19/mo torrentflux hosting "Flux basic USA" with santrex which comes with 70gb and 8 active torrents. I picked USA location, got setup in FDC Denver. I wanted to try out a USA location since I had mainly done euro seedboes, and I had a ton of torrents that mainly catered to USA peers. Speeds were always fast, I maxed out at about 10mb/sec up and it was very consistent, as you see I was able to push 18tb in one month. Disk checking was reasonably fast, no major hard disk I/O problems.

Caveats:
    It came with a bunch of different clients like bittornado, azerus, transmission and some others but only transmission worked. Bittornado would complete and run the torrent but for some reason only like 10% of the people could find and connect to the seedbox.Santrex's own FAQ says to run Tranmission (which btw was 1.76). Also, FTP speeds were ABYSMAL. Most of the packets from FDC Denver traveled through their TATA link, and partly my own fault-my isp has terrible peering with TATA. It was a real pain uploading torrents to it since they only could do 30kb/sec per thread. I was able to work around that limitation.

It appears Santrex is using an FDC on/off peak gigE box in denver, shared amongst 8 TF users that I counted, probably some rutorrent customers that I wasn't able to see. There was no downtime.

I was almost able to reach the golden $1/tb. This was one of the faster seedboxes i've had, Santrex has really cleaned up their act from a year ago. It had instant setup which was nice. If you decide to buy USA do your homework first, test your speeds to FDC denver. Even though the speed was great I wasn't able to renew since FTP speeds were so slow.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Poster
    Interesting. They say on the site they use 100Mbit servers, how did you manage 170Mbit or so?

Or, if they do indeed use Gbit, then not bad. From what I recall of their interface though, you didn't do 18TB because that interface is showing the server as a whole. It shows total disk, total BW, total transferred etc. If you look at the total in the torrents showing it is indeed about 10MB/s so perhaps that is what they mean.

Anyway, clearly OK value for money, many people would find the torrent limit and low disk space prohibitive though I'm surmising. Plus the terrible FTP speed :S

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    My experience with Santrex was so-so. I bought a shared account (OVH I believe) just to get a sense for their customer service (in case I wanted to add a dedi box in the future). I didn't really try to hammer it but speeds were inconsistent. The big problem was their HDs were underpowered and constantly thrashed. So one person on the box decides to hash check and the whole box comes to a screeching halt. The one cool feature they had was the ability to change server locations. Depending on what tracker you mainly used, you could test which location performed best for your seeds.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Santrex is cheap but their HD setups are typically underpowered (a single HD I would guess). On shared boxes, if one person hash checks, expect the whole box to come to a grinding halt.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Poster
    Yea the good (and bad) thing about Santrex is their variability and location, however for the money they are really quite terrible in comparison to almost anyone else

Their VPS are awesome though, shame you can't torrent on them

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Thelen: WHO DO YOU LIKE AS A SEEDBOX PROVIDER?

all i ever see you doing on here is comlaining and bi(*#$ about providers even when all the other posts in the thread are'nt that bad.

who is good to you? and why-

tks

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    lmfaooo, THANK YOU JESUS SEEDER22. LMFAOOO! THELEN IS A TROLL! Heck, go ahead and kick me off the forum, but at least make it worth my time and ban thelen from every forum/tracker online. lol. Jesus Christ.

About santrex though, its run by a good guy, which is very experienced with servers and such. I would give them a chance and see where it goes. Im actually getting a server there next week possibly as i applied for a support position there. The admin offered me a free box for applying if i can show some tricks of the trade. I say its a good money value.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    OH FLASH it gets better!!

apparently Thelen IS A SEEDBOX PROVIDER!!

i cant wait to try out his service. CHeck out his AWESOME CUSTOMER SUPPORT REPLY BELOW. [ Im sure several seedbox providers though YOU were a dumb PIA client too Thelen ]

see this thread:

https://filesharingtalk.com/threads/4...ation-shutdown

incase he edits:

cabalo:

Seems like an idea. It did not solve my problem either, so I ditched it.
    The fact is rutorrent is by a long shot the best webui around, and I miss some of its features. I can only imagine the nightmare it must be for seedbox providers when they supply such a buggy client like rtorrent indeed is.

THELEN:

Yea it is a nightmare, even more so when the users are too dumb to realise what certain problems are. IE, going over quota and wondering why rtorrent won't restart, etc.
    Owner seedboxnews and dataleech

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by seeder22 View Post
    OH FLASH it gets better!!

apparently Thelen IS A SEEDBOX PROVIDER!!

i cant wait to try out his service. CHeck out his AWESOME CUSTOMER SUPPORT REPLY BELOW. [ Im sure several seedbox providers though YOU were a dumb PIA client too Thelen ]

see this thread:

https://filesharingtalk.com/threads/4...ation-shutdown

incase he edits:

cabalo:

Seems like an idea. It did not solve my problem either, so I ditched it.
    The fact is rutorrent is by a long shot the best webui around, and I miss some of its features. I can only imagine the nightmare it must be for seedbox providers when they supply such a buggy client like rtorrent indeed is.

THELEN:

Yea it is a nightmare, even more so when the users are too dumb to realise what certain problems are. IE, going over quota and wondering why rtorrent won't restart, etc.
    Owner seedboxnews and dataleech
    Priceless:
    Quote Originally Posted by lmn8r View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelen View Post
    Of all the industries and all the businesses in the world, seedbox seems to be filled with the most people that think everyone owes them something. We've had people complain that we wouldn't give them root "to just install a couple things" lol.
    ^ Customer service motto of customseedbox

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    xuxoxux's Avatar Reader BT Rep: +4
    God! Children! How about we move past bashing people and focus on the OP's topic! That's possible, isnt it?!?

Ok, I just need to comment here because something doesnt add up...

3.74 TB transfer in 1 day.......on a 100 mbit line..... Possible?? Let's see:

3.74 TB = 3,921,674 MB
    1 day = 86 400 seconds

3,921,674 MB / 86,400 seconds = 45.3897481 MB/second transfer speed.

You would need to transfer at 45 MB/sec to push 3.74 TB in 1 day (24 hours).....which is not offered from them from what I can see.

18 TB in 1 month is possible, but you would need to seed every second, of every day for 1 month at a minimum of 7 MB/s to achieve it. (unless you are running an autodownloader or semething on several sites [which doesnt seem likely as you are limited to 8 torrents active max], then I don't think it is too likely.)
    Last edited by xuxoxux; 11-07-2010 at 08:57 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast