Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Copyright Infringement Notice

This notice popped up in my browser and I couldn't go to any other page until I clicked the link: "I am aware of this issue and will take steps to resolve it". Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening again? Is this something to be worried about? this is the notice:
    A Message from Road Runner

Copyright Infringement Notice, MPAA

I am aware of this issue and will take steps to resolve it.

Dear Subscriber:

This notice is being sent to you by Road Runner Customer Care because we have received a
    complaint that your computer has been used to distribute copyrighted material without authorization
    through a peer-to-peer program. A copy of the complaint is attached below,and a more detailed
    version containing information about the specific copyrighted file(s) has been emailed to you.

Please direct any relevant questions or concerns to the contact in the attached message.
    Distribution of copyrighted material in this fashion may violate both copyright laws and Road
    Runner’s terms of service.

Thank you for subscribing to Road Runner.

Very truly yours,

Road Runner Customer Care

FOLLOWING IS THE COMPLAINT FROM THE COPYRIGHT OWNER (OR ITS AGENT):

You are being contacted on behalf of the Motion Picture Association of America, Inc. (MPAA)* and
    one or more of its member companies. You are receiving this notice because your Internet account
    was identified as having been used recently to copy illegally and/or distribute the copyrighted
    movies and/or television shows listed at the bottom of this letter. This notice provides you with
    the information you need in order to take immediate action that can prevent serious legal and other
    consequences. These actions include:

1. Stop downloading or uploading any film or TV shows owned or distributed by any MPAA member
    studio or its affiliates without authorization; and

2. Permanently delete from your computer(s) all unauthorized copies you may have already made of
    these movies and TV shows.

The illegal downloading and distribution of copyrighted works are serious offenses that carry with
    them the risk of substantial monetary damages and, in some cases, criminal prosecution.

Copyright infringement also violates your Internet Service Provider’s terms of service and could
    lead to limitation or suspension of your Internet service.

An MPAA website, www.respectcopyrights.org, offers step-by-step instructions to ensure that your
    Internet account is not being used to violate the copyright laws. The site also can point you to
    an array of legal choices for enjoying movies and TV shows online. You can also learn there how
    movie theft damages our economy and costs thousands of Americans their jobs.

If, after visiting www.respectcopyrights.org you still have questions, or if you believe you have
    received this notice in error, you may contact the MPAA by email at [email protected] or
    by calling 818-935-5860. In your voicemail or the subject line of your email, please cite the
    Reference ID which can be found in the email sent to your RR account. You should take immediate
    action to prevent your Internet account from being used for illegal activities and to enjoy movies
    and TV programs legally.

Sincerely,

Motion Picture Association of America

* This letter is not a complete statement of the copyright owners’ rights in connection with this
    matter, and nothing contained herein constitutes an express or implied waiver of any rights,
    remedies or defense of the copyright owners, all of which are expressly reserved. MPAA members
    include: Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures; Paramount Pictures Corporation; Sony Pictures
    Entertainment Inc.; Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation; Universal City Studios LLP; and Warner
    Bros. Entertainment Inc.

I am aware of this issue and will take steps to resolve it.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    gamesover's Avatar Panda BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    Shit that really sucks but I'm curious where do you download your movies from? It might be a good idea for any of us to avoid them. I'm guessing it wasn't a private tracker.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Torrents are downloaded from http://btjunkie.org

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    That pretty much explains it. Public trackers are heavily monitored by the authorities, so I'd strongly recommend you to move to private trackers to reduce such risks.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Do private trackers usually have less files than public? And wich of the private ones are more preferred? Is it still possible to recieve a Copyright Infringement Notice using private trackers?

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    They usually do have less files than public, but no fakes or crap.
    You should aim for a place like IPTorrents, Preto.me or TorrentLeech, those are the biggest private ones around.
    It is still possible to receive those notices, but the chances are much much slimmer than at public ones. Most people (99,9%) have been using such trackers for years and never received any letters.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Ive been sharing for ten years now going back to the KaZaa days and have never thought about being carefull about it. I think maybe I was lucky not recieving a notice until now. It was a suprise.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Disme's Avatar I'm Belgian BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Quote Originally Posted by bent View Post
    Ive been sharing for ten years now going back to the KaZaa days and have never thought about being carefull about it. I think maybe I was lucky not recieving a notice until now. It was a suprise.
    Maybe consider yourself lucky you only got a notice, and not a subpoena

Time to shift to the 'private' side I guess.
    Can you feel the LOVE

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabalo View Post
    They usually do have less files than public, but no fakes or crap.
    You should aim for a place like IPTorrents, Preto.me or TorrentLeech, those are the biggest private ones around.
    It is still possible to receive those notices, but the chances are much much slimmer than at public ones. Most people (99,9%) have been using such trackers for years and never received any letters.
    Listen to the man.

Just curious, have you been using any means of IP blocking so far?
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    newsgroupie
    The MPAA and its ilk have servers harvesting IPs from all the major public trackers and spewing out these notices by the millions. Some ISPs keep count of the copyright notices against you, others don't. It would not hurt to learn exactly what the policy of your ISP is. You could lose your internet connection at some point if you get more.

Private trackers are less monitored than public ones, but cannot be considered as safe. Many users of private trackers have been arrested or sued. Consider Usenet or Rapidshare-type downloading for the ultimate in safety, or use a proxy/VPN with torrents.

One last point. Never admit anything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast