Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Improving uTorrent Download Speeds

Quote Originally Posted by KushBlow View Post
    changing global # of connections to a number that corresponds with your private tracker/s userbase.
    I'd make that a last resort, specially if he has a router. Opening many connections will do nothing in the best cases, and slow you down in the worst ones.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    Poster
    Ok I will try that

Something interesting happened today which I discovered by a fluke, but may point me in the right direction.

I normally have about 50-100 torrents active at any given time. ( Doesn't mean they are actively seeding )

I checked to see what would happen if I stopped all torrents except for the one downloading.

In time speeds increased, and eventually got to 1.0 MB/s though it wasn't steady

I then checked to see what would happen if I activated 25 torrents, and immediately the speeds dropped to below 300KB/s

I don't have any active torrents now, except for a test download, but that one is only at 300kb/s or so

I've also tested another torrent client Deluge and that one averages about 500KB/s

So that's my update, I'm not really sure what to make of it.

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    KushBlow's Avatar Zen BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Quote Originally Posted by anon-sbi View Post
    changing global # of connections to a number that corresponds with your private tracker/s userbase.
    I'd make that a last resort, specially if he has a router. Opening many connections will do nothing in the best cases, and slow you down in the worst ones.
    Sorry, let me rephrase that. What I meant was putting around 20-40 if your tracker's userbase is ~6000, and 60-80 if ~20000, etc. Sorry

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    Quote Originally Posted by sam45 View Post
    I checked to see what would happen if I stopped all torrents except for the one downloading.

In time speeds increased, and eventually got to 1.0 MB/s though it wasn't steady

I then checked to see what would happen if I activated 25 torrents, and immediately the speeds dropped to below 300KB/s
    I see you've changed the net.max_halfopen value to 50, but is your TCPIP.SYS file patched to allow that?

Sorry, let me rephrase that. What I meant was putting around 20-40 if your tracker's userbase is ~6000, and 60-80 if ~20000, etc. Sorry
    No worries! The values you mention are quite rational.
    Last edited by anon; 10-25-2010 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    Poster
    [QUOTE=anon-sbi;3522583]I see you've changed the net.max_halfopen value to 50, but is your TCPIP.SYS file patched to allow that?

No it isn't

As this is a new computer, I haven't done any of those things.

What should be the default value?

btw - thanks for the help
    Last edited by sam45; 10-25-2010 at 09:33 PM.

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    Quote Originally Posted by sam45 View Post
    No it isn't

As this is a new computer, I haven't done any of those things.
    Then you could try either patching the file or setting net.max_halfopen to its default value of 8.

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    Poster
    Ok cool, I will set it to 8 for now.

Also, is there something that could be modified here?

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    Also, is there something that could be modified here?
    Personally, I've changed a few of those settings to reduce long-term disk wear-tear, but for the average user yours are just fine.

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    CleverMan's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    I think you should set Seed While Ratio is <= 150% to -1. Don't know if this option even is working (i always have -1) but who knows, some of your torrents may stop seeding

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    Quote Originally Posted by CleverMan View Post
    I think you should set Seed While Ratio is <= 150% to -1.
    That probably makes torrents immediately jump to the "When uTorrent reaches the seeding goal" condition, which is either limiting your upload speed or stopping them entirely. Automated hit & runs aren't really a good idea.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast