Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Notebook drive not reading DVDs

whatcdfan's Avatar A.W.A BT Rep: +2

Urgent

hello people
    i am in kinda trouble coz my dvd drive is not reading dvd's perfectly though it reads cds to perfection.the only dvd i have ever put into it is of windows i need to reinstall win but when i insert dvd it starts spinning and i can hear a noise, its when drive reads any cd in the beginning but normally the noise slows down when the data on the cd isnt being used now whats happening i put dvd in starts spinning but auto play never pops up and the noise never slows down i tried using a brush on the lens of the drive then for once it actually seemed working but i am sure i cannot be dependent on it, i think its a problem of dust which is all around my notebook but is there anyway i can fix it???

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    Firmware issues maybe?
    Try http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by whatcdfan View Post
    i am in kinda trouble coz my dvd drive is not reading dvd's perfectly though it reads cds to perfection.the only dvd i have ever put into it is of windows
    Once had the same issue in my desktop PC, with an ASUS DVD-RW. It'd read all CDs, but only original DVDs. Tried firmware flashing, but it didn't work. In the end, I had to swap the drive for another one.

Hopefully you do find a solution.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Install windows off a bootable flash drive. Most notebook dvd's are poor quality.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    i know win 2flash but how do do i create to be bootable FAT???

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    JustDOSE's Avatar look at my meatwad
    NEVER brush a lens... use air and when you do make sure the can is upright so no fluid comes out. i never clean my lens it does more harm then good
    Pimpn aint easy ®

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Waddafocky's Avatar dvd BT Rep: +1
    Ouch - as JustDOSE said, you might have ruined your lens with that brush - for something supersensitive like that, you might as well have cleaned your cd collection with a rock.

As for helpful suggestions, though - search the web if there are any similar problems with your drive, and check for firmware/driver updates.

Also, make sure your drive actually has the capability to read DVD's.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    its a dvd drive, i have used brush lastime to install win successfully this time it wont work.not its not reading audio cds as well

can i use my another laptop drive to install win on this one??if yes then how?
    Last edited by whatcdfan; 10-27-2010 at 02:48 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Expeto's Avatar current user title
    As others said, never brush or even touch the lens, only use air for cleaning or a very very soft cloth.
    To make flash bootable you need to mark the partition as bootable by setting a boot flag value, this have nothing to with the content or format of the partition. A lot of partitioning tools can do this without bugging with technical details, but I'm not very familiar with windows partition tools. My friend uses something called wintoflash for making bootable windows install usb, this software takes care of everything for you. I'm pretty sure google can help even more alternatives

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    Here's a basic tut for making a usb windows installer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Vt_8p0VllY

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast