Thread: Actors that haven't been in a poor film?

Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Simple question but I'm not sure there actually are any.
    Was debating this with my kids a few weeks ago and the only name we could come up with was Will Smith although Wild Wild West made it close.

Rejected suggestions (with poor films in brackets):
    Robert De Niro (Machete)
    Samuel L Jackson (Snakes On A Plane)
    Bruce Willis (Hudson Hawke)

Any suggestions?
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    If you are going to argue Will Smith then I'm going to argue Denzel Washington .Also is you discount what he did as a kid when he had no control over his own career DiCaprio .Also until ,again arguably, The Incredible Hulk Ed Norton . Brad Pitt minus The Mexican comes close .
    Not saying that all the movies involved are necessarily "gems" btw ,I just don't think they fall under any approximation of "bad".

I also read James Dean and I can't disagree with that.Sometimes it pays to live fast die young and leave a pretty corpse.
    Respect my lack of authority.

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Can't really disagree with you on James Dean since I haven't even watched Rebel Without A Cause but I believe the general consensus is that he never played a bum note, as it were. Not sure how pretty his corpse might have been, though.

Haven't seen The Mexican but Pitt is a pretty good shout apart from Ocean's 12.
    DiCaprio has surprised me in a few films - Shutter Island, The Aviator, Body Of Lies, Gangs Of New York - but he's made a lot that we hadn't seen and also we all considered The Quick And The Dead a turkey.

We weren't judging an actor's ability (e.g. Will Smith wasn't great in MIB) but their propensity for choosing the right work. 'Average' films are OK as far as we were concerned (e.g. Wild Wild West).

I am now wondering who would be top of an IMDB list of average ratings for actors' bodies of work. Hmmm...
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewie View Post

Haven't seen The Mexican but Pitt is a pretty good shout apart from Ocean's 12.
    DiCaprio has surprised me in a few films - Shutter Island, The Aviator, Body Of Lies, Gangs Of New York - but he's made a lot that we hadn't seen and also we all considered The Quick And The Dead a turkey.

We weren't judging an actor's ability (e.g. Will Smith wasn't great in MIB) but their propensity for choosing the right work. 'Average' films are OK as far as we were concerned (e.g. Wild Wild West).
    See I on the other hand thought that The Quick and the Dead though far from perfect had a whole lot going for it . That as opposed to The Wild Wild West that dragged memories of Robert Conrad ,Ross Martin and most importantly Michael Dunn's Dr. Loveless not only through the mud but a pile of shit and a bucket full of God-awful while it was at it as well.( Actually I think the root of my dislike for Will Smith stems entirely from this).
    Seriously WWW was to me the even a worse abomination than the Starsky and Hutch remake and that's saying a lot.

Btw another "funny" remake this time of The Green Hornet with Seth Rogan is on tap (although supposedly it might never see the light of day being truly that bad).
    Kill me.Kill me now.

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    db_la_23's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22
    George Clooney in the
    The American (2010)

6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    James Dean was great in Giant.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

7. Movies & TV   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by db_la_23 View Post
    George Clooney in the
    The American (2010)
    What does that have to do with anything?
    If it's suppose to be an example of poor movies that Clooney's been in ,he's been in far worse.