Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Torrent Friendly VPS

I've been with 2host.com for a short while doing heavy torrenting, so far they haven't put up a stink. I found them cuz I saw a tracker running from their ip block so I figured hey, why not. Their datacenter is Netriplex, ashville NC. Their hard drives are heavily oversold, so I would recommend going with the more expensive SAS hard disk vps plans. I have an SATA plan and I do anywhere from 1-6mb/sec depending on disk load. Bandwidth isn't a problem though, they give you 10tb on 1gbps, but i've only maxed out at 8mb/sec due to the hard drive.

A typical day torrenting =) As you can see i'm running utorrent on wine in vnc. CPU load is always very low, so other then the overworked hard drives, they're running decent hardware specs. After this month ends i'll probably try out their SAS plan. They have a nice Centos 5.5 with gnome + vnc os image you can install, do browsing and stuff.

Last edited by lmn8r; 11-08-2010 at 09:45 AM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #22
    Poster
    What plan are you using?

Seem to be decent prices, though there is obviously a tonne of overselling going on as you say.

I lol @ the $2.95 plan with 10TB traffic, even if you could actually DO that much traffic, it would cost then over $10 for that LOL.

Also:
    Most of our competitors use low to midrange servers, ranging from single socket servers, to cheap dual socket servers, with oversold memory up to 16GB RAM, and utilizing cheaper SATA drives that are only 7,200RPM, not designed for 24/7 server use, and prone to failures and performance issues.
    Looks like it is industry standard to badmouth after all And what makes it even worse, I can't find any VPS providers out there at all that use low/midrange servers. Even Santrex budget VPS use dual quad core with more than 16GB. lol...
    Last edited by Thelen; 11-08-2010 at 11:06 PM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #23
    Poster
    I am trying the cheapo plan, 5GB space etc, lol it seems ok. I've done 110GB traffic over night on 3 public TV torrents, and its still doing about 1MB/s from 2.5MB/s peak

4. BitTorrent   -   #24
    Still using 2host. They are getting rid of their Asheville, NC location, which kinda sucks. No more super fast FTP speeds for me. They're moving all servers to San Jose, CA where I assume it's cheaper. The bgp mix there is highwinds/HE. I've already racked up multiple DMCA warnings so far, and still a customer, which is pretty good for USA based host. The new San Jose plans don't have 15k rpm drives, but they do run raid 1+0 so disk I/O is still fairly good.

I'm also testing a boxslots.com VPS for an eu location, Leaseweb bandwidth (rs reseller). Disc i/o is again decent, I haven't had a chance to really put it through it's paces yet. So no final verdict on them yet.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123