Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 67

Thread: Form of government

  1. #1
    sandman_1's Avatar Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    519
    I am just curious to see what type of government people in the USA think they have?

  2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Oh, please...
    Posts
    15,255
    Quote Originally Posted by sandman_1 View Post
    I am just curious to see what type of government people in the USA think they have?
    Ah - don't be coy, tell us what you think.
    “Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of 'em are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

  3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    link2009's Avatar NZBer
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    The Matrix
    Posts
    768
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sandman_1 View Post
    I am just curious to see what type of government people in the USA think they have?
    Ah - don't be coy, tell us what you think.
    I agree. It is a little difficult to spark a debate when you don't state your viewpoint.

  4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    sandman_1's Avatar Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    519
    I am curious to know since I hear our illustrious politicians saying that we are a Democracy and want to spread Democracy.

    Last time I checked, we were a Constitutional Republic unless that has changed.

  5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Potato potata.

    We can vote people out of power.

    That's what matters to me.
    Who can take your money and give it to someone else? The Government Can! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO2eh...layer_embedded

  6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    sandman_1's Avatar Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    519
    Quote Originally Posted by 999969999 View Post
    Potato potata.

    We can vote people out of power.

    That's what matters to me.
    And that has what to do with post?

  7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by sandman_1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 999969999 View Post
    Potato potata.

    We can vote people out of power.

    That's what matters to me.
    And that has what to do with post?
    What do you not understand about potato potata, man?!
    Who can take your money and give it to someone else? The Government Can! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO2eh...layer_embedded

  8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    30,399
    It is hard to describe what kind of country the U.S.A.(they are not alone)is, when a party with 51%(or less) of the vote can do what they like, ignoring the wishes of the other 49%. That is not a Democracy in my book. Some people are banned from forming a political party, like the Communists and others. Why not let some of them stand for election and let the voters decide? Look at the way they have treated Cuba yet all the top brass have a big fat Cuban cigar stuck in their mouths. I wonder what would happen if Canada voted for communism?

    There, that should liven things up a wee bit. I will get a reply from Kev when he gets his musket back out of the case again. After last night he thought it was safe to put it away again.

    P.S. I know the post was directed at U.S. citizens. I could not resist.
    Last edited by bigboab; 11-03-2010 at 10:41 PM.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

  9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    惡魔的提倡者
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    743
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    It is hard to describe what kind of country the U.S.A.(they are not alone)is, when a party with 51%(or less) of the vote can do what they like, ignoring the wishes of the other 49%. That is not a Democracy in my book. Some people are banned from forming a political party, like the Communists and others. Why not let some of them stand for election and let the voters decide? Look at the way they have treated Cuba yet all the top brass have a big fat Cuban cigar stuck in their mouths. I wonder what would happen if Canada voted for communism?
    It was supposed to have been designed so that the minority isn't oppressed by the majority. In fact with the electoral college system and a propensity to gerimander electoral districts the populace minority can end up with more congressional might than the populace majority. The majority party gets to set the agenda, the minority party gets to derail it.

    In the land of the free the amount of freedom depends on who gets to define the word. Oddly enough the more someone rants about freedoms the more likely they are to want to stop the ones they disprove of.

    Liberals want to stop you getting fat, Conservatives want to stop you having sex.
    Last edited by devilsadvocate; 11-03-2010 at 10:56 PM.

  10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Oh, please...
    Posts
    15,255
    Quote Originally Posted by devilsadvocate View Post
    Liberals want to stop you getting fat, Conservatives want to stop you having sex.
    Oooh, very clever.

    Put that on the next protest sign you make, and carry it at the liberal get-together of your choice.
    “Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of 'em are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •