Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I need a VPN

Im looking at possibly getting a paid vpn due to my isp participating in this new deal thats starting in july between the major entertainment companies and the isps that will be basically tracking bittorrent traffic

I already only use private trackers but looks like that wont be enough with this action there taking

i need something thats extremely reliable,doesnt save logs,works well with utorrent, and does not slow me down my current speed is 43 down 39 up no matter what service i choose i cant have this slowed down

also im new to vpns so dont know to much about them is there anything specifically i need to know before doing this etc..

so any suggestions? whether you tried first hand or have heard about

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by iamloco724 View Post
    Im looking at possibly getting a paid vpn due to my isp participating in this new deal thats starting in july between the major entertainment companies and the isps that will be basically tracking bittorrent traffic

I already only use private trackers but looks like that wont be enough with this action there taking

i need something thats extremely reliable,doesnt save logs,works well with utorrent, and does not slow me down my current speed is 43 down 39 up no matter what service i choose i cant have this slowed down

also im new to vpns so dont know to much about them is there anything specifically i need to know before doing this etc..

so any suggestions? whether you tried first hand or have heard about
    Another option to pursue is a seedbox, since the transactions between you and the seedbox server are not on the bt protocol but are a secured FTP transfer for the files that you wish to download. If security is your priority then a seedbox is the ultimate form of security since the originating IP for the download transactions has nothing to do with your ISP at all.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    ive had seedboxes before the only thing that pushes me more towards vpn is i really dont want to have to download all my files from the seedbox after they download its just an extra annoying step that i dont wanna do

especially since the way i have everything set now is all my downloads download automatic then i view them from my popcorn hour streaming media player without having to get up and touch the computer

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Poster
    get a seedbox with ssh access and install openvpn on it. You will (should) have guaranteed full download/upload

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by gtf0 View Post
    get a seedbox with ssh access and install openvpn on it. You will (should) have guaranteed full download/upload
    as i said seedbox wouldnt suit my needs

anyone else with opinions?

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Got a smartphone?
    Install any of the plethora of apps that will turn your phone into a remote control and the seedbox suggestion now fits your needs.

Btw, the 'I really don't want to move unless I absolutely have to' theme paints a picture of you in my mind's eye as the gluttony dewd in Se7en.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by iamloco724 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gtf0 View Post
    as i said seedbox wouldnt suit my needs

anyone else with opinions?
    He isn't talking about a seedbox per se, he is talking about configuring a remote server as a VPN tunnel instead of a seedbox. What the poster is describing is a server with a secure shell (ssh) and installing and configuring OpenVPN onto it. This is completely private, fully under your control, all logs are your own, and the machine will go as fast as your connection will. The reason why I didn't reply with this option after your original reply to me is you seem such a convenience orientated, one-click, lay back and watch the world go, by facebook kind of individual that the effort seemed wasted. Was I wrong?

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    well honestly yes i would like as little effort as possible and as little change as possible its not cause im lazy its just right now theres alot going in my life and i would prefer the simplest option to be able to download torrents anonymously

i havnt looked into it but i would assume the above option would also be more money then a vpn which would be an issue as well

when it comes to a vpn they seem like the easiest method to accomplish what i want it just a matter of finding one thats reliable,doesnt keep logs and wont affect my speed too much

i am open minded to some degree i dont know much about the above option im good with pcs and learning things easily but besides using a few various seedboxes i really havnt dabbled into this world of vpns and the kind of things above

so if you would explain the process of the above in a dumb down way and maybe post a few options for vpns and if i were to do the above with seedbox as i said alot on my mind right now so its hard for me to focus but i gotta have a plan for this before july so i can avoid problems

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Well you seem bent on buying a VPN from some crap overpriced service out there just so you don't have to learn to setup OpenVPN, which (I believe) is a pretty simple process. I wouldn't overpay for something like a VPN - just buy a cheap VPS that has a 100Mbit line, install OpenVPN on it, and you'd be good to go. If you don't want to spend time doing that, you can waste more money by using a service like https://www.ipredator.se/ or http://strongvpn.com/.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by foggyhaze View Post
    Well you seem bent on buying a VPN from some crap overpriced service out there just so you don't have to learn to setup OpenVPN, which (I believe) is a pretty simple process. I wouldn't overpay for something like a VPN - just buy a cheap VPS that has a 100Mbit line, install OpenVPN on it, and you'd be good to go. If you don't want to spend time doing that, you can waste more money by using a service like https://www.ipredator.se/ or http://strongvpn.com/.
    im open to it in the end whatever is best i will do

so if i did what you suggest its just running my own vpn..now i have a question about this my friend is going to do whatever i do now if we go the vps route can i run a vpn for 2 people 2 different locations under one vps?

and if i do the vps..have any recommendations?
    Last edited by iamloco724; 05-09-2012 at 03:23 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast