Thread: Any dowside to using U-Verse?

Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    I'm considering switching to U-Verse but I wanted to get some opinions first. With regards to file sharing, Bittorrent, Usenet, etc., is there any downside to U-Verse?

They advertise unlimited internets and I don't remember seeing any threads here on the board about U-Verse so I assume they're OK.

Anyone use them currently?

yo

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Bump.

yo

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    dodgy368's Avatar Poster
    Try the forum at uverseusers.com I had a quick read and there doesn't seem to be major problems like capping or throttling.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    sandman_1's Avatar Poster
    As far as Internet, it is ok. I have a 12Mbps line and I get around that for downloads off of Usenet. I went with Uverse because they have a better upload speed, 1.5Mbps, compared to Time Warners paltry .512Mbps. Also the Internet rarely goes down. I think it went down once in about 2 years I have been with them. Time Warner kept going out it seemed almost weekly in my area, around 2-4pm in the afternoon like clockwork.

TV wise Uverse works alright I suppose. You get occasional, or I do, stutters with audio or freezing of the video or no audio. Sometimes you have to do a full reset to restore it. They charge extra for HD which is BS since most cable providers are doing it for free now. Also their HD comes in around 6-8Mbps which is sort of low compared to other providers.

Some things to keep in mind, your total line speed is around 25Mbps for all of Uverse's services: TV, Phone, Internet. So whatever bandwidth Phone and TV take up, could affect your Internet speed if you went for their top tier 18Mbps plan. I went for 12Mbps to have that buffer. Besides Time Warner at the time only offered 10/.512 line tops so I was still faster and paying about the same.

I might be canceling Uverse and going back to Time Warner. They have upgraded their equipment to DOCSIS 3 in my area and now are offering faster speeds than Uverse for the same price.