Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Giganews in the year 2011: WE DEMAND $34.99 NOW! DEAL with it, wankers!

Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by heiska View Post

Whatever, dude...
    Classic comeback from the witless moron.

Some of us happen to enjoy their impeccable services and don't fret about the cost of our Usenet subscription.
    Last edited by Skiz; 11-04-2010 at 10:19 PM.

yo

2. Newsgroups   -   #12
    The increase in price happened just when MIMO became public.

Ive checked it out and tbh its one of the most shitty newsreaders ive ever seen in my life(i had experience with forte agent\newsbin pro\newsleecher\usenet explorer(the best as of now imho),ultraleecher and some others dont remember their names)

As to
    impeccable
    i have to say that giganews has been complying with DMCA noticies more and more often than astraweb recently.But in terms of stability and other things Giga is awesome

3. Newsgroups   -   #13
    sandman_1's Avatar Poster
    Astraweb have problems? Been using it for year and half and other than a few rare instances of slowdown, by a couple of megabits, it has been "impeccable" to coin a term used in this thread. Everything I download completes, all the time.

Giganews offer great service but for $35/month for any Usenet account is a little steep compared to the competition. At this rate, they are going to price themselves out of the market.

4. Newsgroups   -   #14
    WHiKWiRE's Avatar MooPhEuS
    Quote Originally Posted by sandman_1 View Post
    Astraweb have problems? Been using it for year and half and other than a few rare instances of slowdown, by a couple of megabits, it has been "impeccable" to coin a term used in this thread. Everything I download completes, all the time.

Giganews offer great service but for $35/month for any Usenet account is a little steep compared to the competition. At this rate, they are going to price themselves out of the market.
    Couldn't agree more.

5. Newsgroups   -   #15
    link2009's Avatar NZBer
    Quote Originally Posted by link2009 View Post
    i'm sorry but this post was completely ignorant and disrespectful.

Second of all, just because some individuals have more money than you, don't try to be condescending and ignorant.
    Whatever, dude. You just proved my point
    I am not sure what point I proved but I surely do not admit to agreeing with your ignorant statement that only idiots use Giganews. I am slightly ashamed I am even responding to you, you don't even deserve a sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by JustDOSE View Post

Whatever, dude. You just proved my point
    lol, why did that link guy get all butt hurt? lol he is raging like he will pay w/e giganews wants loool
    Everywhere I see you post, you either insult someone or act like a complete child. I am not "butt hurt" nor am I "raging". I am merely stating the fact that Giganews offers a good service, as does Astraweb. I don't mind the price difference to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by sandman_1 View Post

Allow me to retort. While you've had no problems with Astraweb, I've had no problems with Giganews. I agree that both service providers offer great quality but I can say that Giganews is the innovator in the game.

They are the only ones that always increase their retention, pushing binaries to their limits. I applaud them for that and it is BECAUSE of that I support them. Maybe most of you pirate your way through movies, applications, games, ebooks, you name it but some of us need to support the individuals behind the scenes.

Just to clarify, all I am saying is that I know that most of my money will go into innovating a stronger, faster and better Usenet. I may be wrong but this is simply my opinion.

Next, Giganews has 819 days of retention, Astraweb has 810. Sure, it is a 9 day difference but it is a difference.

I enjoy downloading headers and Giganews' accelerated grabbing is more than great for me. (I have found no alternative, nor have I searched for one).

I get 50 connections with Giganews and 20 with Astraweb. That's right, with a full Duplex 2 x 100 Mbit connections, I actually take advantage of those 50 connections, which Astraweb does not offer.

And my last point is support. I've never dealt with Astraweb's support, but Giganews and their customer service have been great to me.

6. Newsgroups   -   #16
    My understanding based on their website is that they are grandfathering people in at current prices who subscribe before the increase. Their website states "Upgrade before December 31st, 2010 to lock in your Diamond membership for $29.99."

I am locked in at a $19.99 USD special for the full retention, but not some of the diamond extras like VPN.
    Last edited by technovert; 11-05-2010 at 05:04 AM.

7. Newsgroups   -   #17
    JustDOSE's Avatar look at my meatwad
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiz View Post

Whatever, dude...
    Classic comeback from the witless moron.

Some of us happen to enjoy their impeccable services and don't fret about the cost of our Usenet subscription.
    lol Skiz, thats so wrong to fan that link guys flame i bet that made link felt validated.
    Pimpn aint easy ®

8. Newsgroups   -   #18
    newsgroupie
    I remember the time when Giganews had triple the retention of Astraweb, and much better completion -- and it didn't then cost that much more, either. Giganews used to be well worth the higher cost, no question. But now the price difference is greater, while the quality difference is much less. And that's a situation that leads to endless debate, maybe even more so than the Giganews vs. Newshosting debates of about 5 years ago.

I think this "price increase" might have been poor marketing on Giganews part, since instead of mixing things up, they could have simply created a new, top-level tier, which would have likely prevented all the complaints of this 'price increase': their unlimited + SSL service (minus the "free" VPN) is actually going down $5 in price, since SSL is now free. Also, bundling in a search engine could get them in trouble, and they might even be forced to filter out keywords, as Napster was required to do, and that could render the search service useless.

I just want to correct a few misconceptions regarding some of the claimed justifications for getting Giganews:

1. Header compression: All the major NSPs (Astraweb, Highwinds, etc) support header compression protocols, as do most commercial newsreaders (Newsbin Pro, Newsleecher, Usenet Explorer, Newsman, Agent, etc) as well as free add-on software such as Stunnel and Bintube Accelerator - that works with any newsreader to add compressed header support. Although Giganews was the first to offer header compression (through its own proprietary interface) a few years ago, header compression is now standard industry-wide.

2. 50 connections Giganews really hyped-up this "feature" as if it were somehow a big selling point, kicking off a sort of "connection war" among providers a year ago. For the *rare* situation that actually requires this many connections, there are plenty of decent low-cost providers that also offer 50 connections -- or even more -- at a fraction of the cost of Giganews.

9. Newsgroups   -   #19
    JustDOSE's Avatar look at my meatwad
    Quote Originally Posted by zot View Post
    I think this "price increase" might have been poor marketing on Giganews part,
    it has nothing to do with marking... simple economics, they are funding themselves with their CURRENT users, their marketing consists of the words 'lock in'. Let me make it simple for you zot, back when light bulbs were first invented they were expensive then when many people bought them they became less expensive occasionally the price would go up a few cents if the company started making.. oh say filaments, are you with me? ok so once the light-bulb makers could manufacture all the parts for thier bulb and gone through price fluctuations,all the while utilizing their loyal customers, the price would stablize and that would be one damn good bulb, more were bought price drops company gets rich & secure while everyone is 'locked in'. same with giganews, thier making all the parts that fit perfectly together, its all about personalization of the usenet experience, they dont need to market because their are people like you. the only reason you see giganews everywhere is like the old saying 'if you want to see it bad enough you will see it everywhere' dont worry zot giganews isnt stalking you. giganews probably pays outa pocket 10grand a month for ads and yields a couple hundred thousand profit, and have about 10% of usenet users in pocket.

*cough* you ever read the package on your light-bulb zot? it says 'guaranteed' which means 'your locked in' gotta open your eyes brotha dont become a tool of the man.
    Pimpn aint easy ®

10. Newsgroups   -   #20
    sandman_1's Avatar Poster
    @link2009

Uhh...wasn't trying to "compete" with Giganews bud. I even mentioned they are a great service. Do you work for Giganews or something? I mean you came off like a commercial for them.

And an extra 9 days retention, wow what is Astraweb ever going to do. Giganews is just killing Astraweb in retention./sarcasm 50 connections? 99% of people do not need 50 connections. They don't even need 20 connections. Header compression? Giganews doesn't have the monopoly on that either. 12mbps line and I can download headers +100mbps equivalent with Astraweb. Sorry bud, Giganews was top of the line years back but now they are just the same as others and more expensive.

Basically comes down to preference, if you want to blow the money on Giganews, then by all means do so. No one is going to care either way and it is your money.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast