Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Windows Longhorn

Poster
    I tried the 4029 build for a few minutes.It just semmed like XP to me.Seemed to work fine
    Gigabyte GA7-VT600 P-L
    Athlon XP2500+ @ 3200+
    512mb OCZ DDR333 (2,3,3,7)
    Samsung SP8004h 80gig harddrive
    Radeon 9200 128 mb
    LG cdrw/dvd drive

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    Poster
    Muscleman - What is that I'm looking at? It looks like you're running some heavily modified Windows with some kind of emulator running Win2k, WinXp, and Longhorn.

Can you explain that screenshot because it looks really fucking sweet. Meanwhile I'm gonna go look for answers with a search for VMware Workstation.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    I installed longhorn 4015 a while ago. I would freeze after 3 minutes everytime. From what i could see it looked alright. I have downloaded and burned 4051 but i haven't been bored enough to install it yet. From looking at the files on the disk it seems real.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    Poster
    I wish people would share 4051.

I'm downloading 2 right now. One appears to be an EXE but it's probably just a renamed ISO. It's 675946Kb of which I have 488365Kb. Nobody is sharing it.

The other one is an ISO, and a 56K'er is sharing it at about 2.65K. That one is 675951Kb of which I have 533266Kb.

File sizes reported from K-Lite's Traffic window.

What's the difference, does anyone know?

And could someone post a hash to a working, confirmed 4051?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    Originally posted by DarkReality@8 November 2003 - 11:55
    Muscleman - What is that I'm looking at? It looks like you're running some heavily modified Windows with some kind of emulator running Win2k, WinXp, and Longhorn.

Can you explain that screenshot because it looks really fucking sweet. Meanwhile I'm gonna go look for answers with a search for VMware Workstation.
    he is using VMware. Its really handy to try new OS's out.

I had Virtual PC installed and had DOS, Windows XP, Linux Redhat and windows 98 running all at once

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    Originally posted by DarkReality@8 November 2003 - 02:55

as far as i can see, he's using WindowsXP with a multiple desktop app, prolly some java-based desktop calendar, a truckload of systray icons, and VMWare Workstation hosting some other copies of Windows. it ain't an emulator-- VM = Virtual Machine. it's multiple systems running side-by-side, not really on top of each other.

VMWare just regulates the other systems' access to the hardware and emulates a couple of things like the drivers for the video card, IDE card and network card. there is a little bit of emulation involved, but mostly the other systems are directly accessing the computer hardware so it's much faster than an emulator could hope to be. VMWare and VirtualPC are similar programs, if you've ever heard of the latter.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    One question, how'd you get those dates in the background of your screenshot Muscleman?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    Poster
    Wow, can I get that on K-Lite??

I have heard of VPC. In fact I got a Mac G4 last year, with the hopes I could run VPC to play games and a few apps that I needed Windows for. I then found out that VPC makes it run like 50% performance - in the case of that Mac, 400MHz and 128MB RAM. Plus, the Firewire DVD burner wouldn't work with it; it would have to be taken apart and installed internally. My roommate worked at the place I got it, so I exchanged it for what was then a top of the line PC, which I still run.

I wouldn't mind running a Linux distro in VMWare if it works good; partitioning sucks.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    okay, to be precise, there is one version of VirtualPC which is actually an emulator-- the Windows-On-Mac version of VPC is an emulator, not a VM. that's why it's slow. other versions, and other VM programs, use very little emulation because they're hosting an OS that's compatible with the hardware.

but otherwise, if you're hosting a Mac version of Linux on MacOS for example, it'd be a VM rather than an emulator. if you're hosting a different edition of MacOS, it'd be a VM. i believe "classic mode" is basically OSX hosting OS9 in a VM.

and yeah, even in a true Virtual Machine, everything will not work 100% correctly just because the guest system can't gain complete control of certain hardware components through the emulated drivers. but most programs that don't use things like CD burning or 3D acceleration should work fine-- VMs are mostly useful for testing different OS's and using office applications, not for things like 3D apps where the hardware-sharing isn't really advanced enough to accomadate it.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by DarkReality+7 November 2003 - 04:12--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DarkReality &#064; 7 November 2003 - 04:12)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Izagaia@6 November 2003 - 17:29
    Anything "tech-type" named after a slab of beef is just plain ass. I mean really- you say "longhorn" and the first thing in my mind is medium rare with a cold coors light.&nbsp;
    Actually, Longhorn is the name of a bar. Apparently Whistler (the code name for Windows XP) is a mountain somewhere that Gates and Co. like to vacation at, and Longhorn is a bar at the base of the mountain.

Which makes it alright with me.

Shn - Your worthless opinions are unwelcome, especially since you tried to bash on Lindows and ran when I replied. And I still haven&#39;t heard a good rebuttal to that argument from any "hardcore Linux h4x0rz". Which tells me there probably isn&#39;t one. So go back to your half-assed command-line based OS with a half-assed shell and come back when you&#39;ve found a Linux distro that&#39;s a viable alternative to Windows, becuase like I said, I don&#39;t like Windows either, but it&#39;s the only choice for me. Which is why I get pissed when people bash Lindows, because none of the other distros have done shit to compete with Microshaft. [/b][/quote]
    Heres an idea.

Why dont you go to that mountain.........whistler or whatever its called, get to the very top and then just jump right off it.

Then once you split your head open and break every bone in your body from that lovely fall, we can go into that bar..........longhorn and have a drink.

You did not have to bash me like that. I was just expressing my opinion towards longhorn. Right now it sucks, but then again, its suppose to because its not even out yet.

Btw, the simple fact that you use lindows tells me a lot about you. I dont claim to be elite at all. In fact lots of people in here will tell you that Ive helped them on numerous occasions with various problems pertaining linux. There is no "easy" linux and its a shame to see someone with a brain not use it and resort to something shitty like lindows.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast