Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cool It!

megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    9's, it is your skepticism towards global warming that makes me doubt mine. With your track record, I may seriously have to rethink my long-held position.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    Quarterquack's Avatar sprclfrglstcxpldcs BT Rep: +3
    Saying the rise of the sea level will slow down is not tantamount to saying the sea level will drop. Two completely different things, and if you fail to see the difference, you should really read into/distort Obama's words slower, next time.

Anyway, I guess what's wrong with the world (that no movie will change) is that people will not care or care enough to care no matter the consequences. A thread about a serious debate is started and it degenerates into a battle of semantics. Priorities/Survival - 0. Humans - 1.
    Ellipses go here.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    9's, it is your skepticism towards global warming that makes me doubt mine. With your track record, I may seriously have to rethink my long-held position.
    That's a stupid thing to say.

If you're skeptical of MAN-MADE global warming for valid reasons and then you change your mind based on the fact that someone you dislike is also skeptical of it, you are too easily swayed by emotion.

Humans have a small role in global warming and can do very little about it besides adapting to it and preparing for it. We're not going to stop the earth from going through natural warming periods in between ice ages, mainly caused by the sun-- which is completely beyond our control. If we must worry about something, the thing to really worry about is the return of a new ice age. We are due for one. And it will kill far more people than global warming.
    Who can take your money and give it to someone else? The Government Can! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO2eh...layer_embedded

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    Quote Originally Posted by devilsadvocate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 999969999 View Post
    Take that, Clocky and Lucifer (devilsadvocate) !
    Living off the sweat of others again?
    A sweat vampire, perhaps?
    Who can take your money and give it to someone else? The Government Can! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO2eh...layer_embedded

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    Quarterquack's Avatar sprclfrglstcxpldcs BT Rep: +3
    Humans have a small role in global warming and can do very little about it besides adapting to it and preparing for it. We're not going to stop the earth from going through natural warming periods in between ice ages, mainly caused by the sun-- which is completely beyond our control. If we must worry about something, the thing to really worry about is the return of a new ice age. We are due for one. And it will kill far more people than global warming.
    I'm sorry, I'm really not trying to get your gears wound up or anything, but can you cite any sort of respectable (unaltered) research that backs up any of this? As far as I know, most "real" research has been inconclusive on both sides of the argument, and research done thereafter, "proving" that the sun was the source of the problem entire, has been outright flawed. I'd be duly indebted if you could point me to any sources that say otherwise.

- For the record, I'm a skeptic myself; however, not enough to deny that we (as a species) are at least responsible for the 0.3% extra greenhouse gases we shit into the air.
    Ellipses go here.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    That's a stupid thing to say.

If you're skeptical of MAN-MADE global warming for valid reasons and then you change your mind based on the fact that someone you dislike is also skeptical of it, you are too easily swayed by emotion.

I'll add no discernible sense of humor to your long list of shortcomings.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    Quote Originally Posted by ringhunter View Post
    I'm sorry, I'm really not trying to get your gears wound up or anything, but can you cite any sort of respectable (unaltered) research that backs up any of this? As far as I know, most "real" research has been inconclusive on both sides of the argument, and research done thereafter, "proving" that the sun was the source of the problem entire, has been outright flawed. I'd be duly indebted if you could point me to any sources that say otherwise.

- For the record, I'm a skeptic myself; however, not enough to deny that we (as a species) are at least responsible for the 0.3% extra greenhouse gases we shit into the air.
    Re-read my post which you quoted... "Humans have a small role in global warming" which you might say this way "we are at least responsible for the 0.3% extra greenhouse gasses we shit into the air." I would argue even by your figures, .3% extra greenhouse gasses are not going to make that much of a difference either way.

I read the following book which had a chapter devoted to effects of the sun-- you know, that thing in the sky that warms up planet earth?-- on global warming...

The Deniers: The World Renowned Scientists Who Stood Up Against Global Warming Hysteria, Political Persecution, and Fraud**And those who are too fearful to do so
    by Lawrence Solomon.

And just think about it for a few seconds. Try to use some logic. If ice ages have come and gone on this planet before humans were shitting extra greenhouse gasses into the air, then how can we know for certain that the same natural forces which warmed the planet in the past, without any help from humans, is not playing a major role in the warming of the planet right now?

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    惡魔的提倡者
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Give it up DA, HMPL was predisposed to dislike Obama and will parse (i.e., misread) anything he says for ammunition to fortify his preconception.

The eight year Bush administration must have been absolute hell for him.
    After all, we had a President who claims that God told him to run and Jesus advised him on the war.
    So, in essence, the most powerful man in the world was taking advice from imaginary beings.
    HMPL must have been livid for nearly a decade.
    Bush was misquoted and misinterpreted just as often as Obama has been. This seems to have been ignored or simply forgotten now he's in the background.

I feel that if you are going to judge a person by their words then you need to judge them on what they said and not what you perceive they are saying "between the lines" because of a dislike of the person or preconceived notion.

HeavyMetalParkingLot even hinted that it was his view of the man that molded his interpretation.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetalParkingLot View Post

I am sorry but coming from this man, I actually think he believes he has this power.
    This is birther conspiracy level crazy

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Does anyone in here actually believe what Presidents and PM's say?

Bush: 2007 http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7030383.stm

Bush 2010 http://www.thejournal.ie/bush-denies...-iraq-2010-11/

I saw him on TV tonight saying that waterboarding saved lives in the U.K. and the U.S.A. Personally I am all for torturing people 'caught in the act' to save others. They have no compassion, why should we. If it is war, then you have to fight on their playing field.
    Last edited by bigboab; 11-09-2010 at 07:14 PM.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready

I read the following book which had a chapter devoted to effects of the sun-- you know, that thing in the sky that warms up planet earth?-- on global warming...

The Deniers: The World Renowned Scientists Who Stood Up Against Global Warming Hysteria, Political Persecution, and Fraud**And those who are too fearful to do so
    by Lawrence Solomon.
    So, your entire approach to global warming is based on the work of a charlatan?
    Have you read more widely or is this it?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast