Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paper Microscope for less than a dollar?

pythoncancer's Avatar Poster
    Stanford scientists have developed a paper microscope called FoldScope that, unbelievably, costs less than a buck.

The main motive behind the creation of the microscope was the fight against malaria. In developing countries, about a billion microscopic examination of blood samples should be carried out per year for malaria diagnosis.

Paper microscope fits in your pocket, weighs less than ten grams, can be used for bright-field, dark-field, polarization and fluorescence microscopy, and even work as a projector. One battery lasts for 50 hours. Paper Microscope can endure any rough treatment, it can be dropped on the floor – it can withstand anything that a piece of cardboard can. Microscope image quality is sufficient enough to determine different types of infections in the field.A short training lesson will be enough for a student to learn how to make a paper microscope and conduct series of experiments.

f03ef5fb8c7d68bfd6f51e999893970b.jpg

2. Lounge   -   #2
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    I think my local Dollar Store has some microscopes for a buck, too. Bet these ones don't come with Dora the Explorer on the side, nor do they come in 3 bright, enticing colors.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by pythoncancer View Post

The main motive behind the creation of the microscope was the fight against malaria. In developing countries, about a billion microscopic examination of blood samples should be carried out per year for malaria diagnosis.
    The main,main motive though was to obtain research grants with a side order of a bit of fame.
    Respect my lack of authority.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Also, if so many of the same thing needs to be performed, perhaps the Billion dollars ($1 per unit, right) might be better placed in durable, reusable equipment. I don't see any of the modern manufacturing facilities developing a throwaway paper wrench.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    TheFoX's Avatar www.arsebook.com
    It amazes me that they can spend $millions on developing a paper microscope to combat malaria, when it would be more prudent to spend $millions on combating malaria directly.

It reminds me of the UK Government who spend more on advertising about benefit fraud than they lose to benefit fraud, meaning that they spend more than they save.

What next? Paper cars? (Trabant, anyone).
    Quote Originally Posted by OlegL
    You are one of the nicest and most mature people on this board; I would never ignore someone like you.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFoX View Post
    It amazes me that they can spend $millions on developing a paper microscope to combat malaria, when it would be more prudent to spend $millions on combating malaria directly.

It reminds me of the UK Government who spend more on advertising about benefit fraud than they lose to benefit fraud, meaning that they spend more than they save.

Diagnosis is a key component, for what good are cures if you can't identify the sick?
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post

Diagnosis is a key component, for what good are cures if you can't identify the sick?
    You make a valid point, except that I cannot remember the last time my doctor got his microscope out to diagnose my illness.

Mind you, if you are referring to blood analysis, then you would need to examine it under a paper microscope, once you have extracted it using a paper syringe, connected to a paper needle (disposable, as you wouldn't want to contaminate those further down the line with a re-usable paper needle).
    You are one of the nicest and most mature people on this board; I would never ignore someone like you.

8. Lounge   -   #8

You make a valid point, except that I cannot remember the last time my doctor got his microscope out to diagnose my illness.
    You'd be lucky to have a doctor listen to 10 of the words that came out of your mouth let alone do lab work.

Also, go get yourself some of that malaria. Then, follow your blood trail to a microscope that prices in the range of $500-$1500.

9. Lounge   -   #9

You'd be lucky to have a doctor listen to 10 of the words that came out of your mouth let alone do lab work.

Also, go get yourself some of that malaria. Then, follow your blood trail to a microscope that prices in the range of $500-$1500.
    Then I must be a lucky guy. I also drink plenty of Tonic Water, liberally spiced with Gin, so the chances of catching Malaria are slim (not counting that I don't live near swamp land anyway).

Microscopes are ten a penny these days. You can pick them up for less than £10 new, and second hand ones even cheaper. Since microscopes have been around for 500 years or more, I should imagine that there are large stocks of refurbished microscopes just waiting for a new home.

The Documators we used to use to inspect contact lenses were all second hand and cost less than $50 each. Some required recalibration but they all worked fine.

A paper microscope can still be affected by moisture in the air, which could cause degradation, whereas one made from metal or plastic will be much more durable, and last longer than the person using it.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Then I must be a lucky guy. I also drink plenty of Tonic Water, liberally spiced with Gin, so the chances of catching Malaria are slim (not counting that I don't live near swamp land anyway).
    Hence the reason I told you to go actively acquire it.

The other point I was making is that blood culture labs don't tend to buy cheap scopes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast