Thread: Disable CD Drive Title Loading

tesco's Avatar woowoo
    I'm not asking about autorun.

Whenever I click my computer, or click on browse for files, etc., it always wants to spin up the cd drive to read the title of the cd that is in it. This causes a lag as the window loads...
    Is there a way to disable that spin-up? I don't care what CD is in the drive, the lag really bothers me!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    1000possibleclaws's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    There's an option to turn off the drive completely, in the control panel. I've done this, but forget exactly how, I just googled a tutorial. I'd like to know what you're asking as well, it would be a better solution.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Well an even easier solution than that is to just remove the disc, but that's not the solution that I want.
    I want to be able to use my drive when I want it, but for it to not annoy me if I leave a disc in...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    Back in the day, it would have been enough to disable DMA on the ATA channel the drive is plugged to.
    Of course this generates a slight CPU overhead and eventually reduced CD-ROM performance, but that's irrelevant nowadays. Don't know if it works on Windows 7, this used to be for XP.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    ok I disabled dwm, I'll see what happens.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Didn't help, the drive still spins up...