Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheapest ever? $5.00 Unlimited Usenet from Thundernews

Surprised/Amazed

I think this is the best deal ever in the history of Usenet providers...

NGR has posted that Thundernews is doing a Black Friday special for all monthly accounts for $5 bucks for the lifetime of the account.

It shows the Unlimited plan for $5.00 too!

From Thundernews:
    - 710 days binary retention
    - 1,265 days of text retention
    - 99%+ completion rate
    - 50 connections
    - Free 256-bit SSL
    - Free News Rover newsreader
    - US and European servers
    - 24/7 tech support

Link:
    http://www.thundernews.com/thunderne...iews_offer.php

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    JustDOSE's Avatar look at my meatwad
    Pimpn aint easy ®

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Poster
    is highwinds worth even 5 bucks a month?!

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    Amazing indeed.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    newsgroupie
    Although a NSP can offer a super-low price by using a cheap, low retention server, that is not the case here. As a Highwinds reseller, Thundernews is paying the same price for its feed as other Highwinds resellers. So how can they offer it for half the price as the next closest competitor who is selling what is essentially an identical service?

The fact is, they can't -- at least not unless they find a way to reduce the average cost (usage) per person. That's just basic economics.

These usenet "fantastic deals" are nothing new. Does anyone remember a usenet provider called 100 Proof News? They made a name for themselves a few years ago by offering the cheapest "unlimited" price in the business -- and then throttling or kicking out all customers who dared to exceed their secret monthly limit. They could keep prices very cheap because only the lowest-usage customers remained on their service (the rest quit in disgust). Not a recommended long-term business strategy, as demonstrated by the fact that 100 Proof News is no longer around.

Anyway, ThunderNews is the same company as NewsDemon, which in the past many users on its cheapest "unlimited" plan have accused of throttling their speed.

I would encourage everyone to jump on this "too good to be true" $5/month "unlimited" plan, and then download as much as you possibly can your first month. Then let us know how many gigs you were able to download before the throttle kicks in and your speed slows to a crawl.
    Last edited by zot; 11-26-2010 at 04:56 AM.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    I've just signed up. 4€ is too cheap not to try.
    I'm on a 30mb/s fiber connection, I'll give some feedback tomorrow when I put their name to the test.
    Last edited by Cabalo; 11-26-2010 at 04:57 AM.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    JustDOSE's Avatar look at my meatwad
    zot will you just shut the hell up for once in your lame life
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabalo View Post
    I've just signed up. 4€ is too cheap not to try.
    I'm on a 30mb/s fiber connection, I'll give some feedback tomorrow when I put their name to the test.
    same
    Last edited by JustDOSE; 11-26-2010 at 09:13 AM.
    Pimpn aint easy ®

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Zot, i agree=) we already have providers that store stuff older than xx days on super slow servers resulting in super slow speed.

We are already facing the consecuences of sort of cheap astraweb policy when millions of lemmings bended over their infrastructure lol

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Yeah, this does in fact sound too good to be true. And there's nothing I hate more than slow download speed from usenet servers.
    Stinson Over!

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Yea, I got the deal, I got it. Knew it would not last. Deepest condolence to those of you who showed up late.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast