Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter vs Twilight!

superpagla's Avatar Poster
    I read and watched both Books and Movies (R - HP more than 10 times; Twillight 5+ times). And Harry Potter wins in both category. Both series is good. But HP is better.

And as for the movies don't ask..... Harry Rocks ; Twilight SU*KS!!!

2. Movies & TV   -   #22
    1. twilight ''

3. Movies & TV   -   #23
    Quote Originally Posted by logii View Post
    1. twilight ''
    Quote Originally Posted by logii View Post
    Bon Jovi (:
    jackie-chan-whut.jpg
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

4. Movies & TV   -   #24
    imma different

5. Movies & TV   -   #25
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Respect my lack of authority.

6. Movies & TV   -   #26
    Harry Potter is better, The story is a bit more complex, and has better twist than Twilight.

7. Movies & TV   -   #27
    Glod's Avatar Poster
    I haven't read Twilight or watched the film adaptation, so I can't comment on that, but as for Harry Potter, I'm not much of a fan. The setting is imaginative and charmingly peculiar, but the story was a major disappointment, as it is wholly derivative of previous literature and sticks to the usual tropes of the teenage fantasy genre. Bright, kind boy unappreciated by world, discovers he is special, acquires friends, acquires rivals, suddenly part of an epic battle between good and evil, must face dilemmas that test his courage and morality, inevitably triumphs. As with many similar works, I believe the world that was created, Hogwarts, will live on and continue to be appreciated after the story of Harry Potter has faded into distant memory. Others will rise up to tell their own tales within the framework that Rowling has laid out.

8. Movies & TV   -   #28
    Quarterquack's Avatar sprclfrglstcxpldcs BT Rep: +3
    Glod, Rowling herself is making "Pottermore" to expand the Universe for that very reason. And you're not wrong. There's a small underground cult brewing up Hogwarts Universe stories. Harry's sons caught in another epic good vs. evil battle. A guy who sat in Harry's classrooms and played a massive roll in all the unanswered questions. I could go on. I read most of the fan fiction, and some of it is surprisingly amazing. I even read Rowling's first drafts of the books (some of them were leaked), and boy does she put effort into her work. She basically re-wrote the books from first draft to final version. Almost reminded me of "The Master & Margarita."

As someone who has read intensively into both universes, Rowling is a much better writer, and is (no pun intended) a settings wizard. I was amazed by how portrayals of settings in the two final movies adhered so well to how I imagined them out of the book, as was my girlfriend who had the exact same images running about her mind during her readings. However, Meyer clearly comes out on top with general knowledge. Rowling uses her imagination to brew the story. Meyer uses theology, contemporary deontology, and psychological grips to add a few layers of interest to what on the surface appears as a joke of a novel. There's an entire world of woven messages in the latter series.

I'd still pick Terry Pratchett's Discworld over either series.
    Ellipses go here.

9. Movies & TV   -   #29
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by Glod View Post
    I haven't read Twilight or watched the film adaptation, so I can't comment on that, but as for Harry Potter, I'm not much of a fan. The setting is imaginative and charmingly peculiar, but the story was a major disappointment, as it is wholly derivative of previous literature and sticks to the usual tropes of the teenage fantasy genre. Bright, kind boy unappreciated by world, discovers he is special, acquires friends, acquires rivals, suddenly part of an epic battle between good and evil, must face dilemmas that test his courage and morality, inevitably triumphs. As with many similar works, I believe the world that was created, Hogwarts, will live on and continue to be appreciated after the story of Harry Potter has faded into distant memory. Others will rise up to tell their own tales within the framework that Rowling has laid out.
    Again you seem oblivious to the fact that all stories are derivative to some extent. The only thing that marks one as memorable and one as forgettable is the execution.
    The old Menandrian plot,boy meets girl, boy loses girl,boy gets girl back. Except somethings the boy is a girl and the girl is a great white whale.

Harry Potter succeeds because it successfully creates and maintains a unique and complex universe filled with characters that people can cheer for or root against.The "derivative story" is almost incidental to that fact.
    Last edited by IdolEyes787; 10-14-2011 at 03:31 AM.
    Respect my lack of authority.

10. Movies & TV   -   #30
    Glod's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Rings View Post
    Glod, Rowling herself is making "Pottermore" to expand the Universe for that very reason. And you're not wrong. There's a small underground cult brewing up Hogwarts Universe stories. Harry's sons caught in another epic good vs. evil battle. A guy who sat in Harry's classrooms and played a massive roll in all the unanswered questions. I could go on. I read most of the fan fiction, and some of it is surprisingly amazing. I even read Rowling's first drafts of the books (some of them were leaked), and boy does she put effort into her work. She basically re-wrote the books from first draft to final version. Almost reminded me of "The Master & Margarita."
    The relative abundance of fan fiction is a useful indicator for the appeal of an author's world, and I'm not surprised in the least that Rowling has decided to further flesh out the setting. I have no knowledge of The Master & Margarita.

As someone who has read intensively into both universes, Rowling is a much better writer, and is (no pun intended) a settings wizard. I was amazed by how portrayals of settings in the two final movies adhered so well to how I imagined them out of the book, as was my girlfriend who had the exact same images running about her mind during her readings. However, Meyer clearly comes out on top with general knowledge. Rowling uses her imagination to brew the story. Meyer uses theology, contemporary deontology, and psychological grips to add a few layers of interest to what on the surface appears as a joke of a novel. There's an entire world of woven messages in the latter series.

I'd still pick Terry Pratchett's Discworld over either series.
    I've watched the first two Harry Potter films and was impressed by them. They brought to life the world that had previously existed only in imagination and did so without sacrificing the story. Some details were glossed over, but that is inevitable with any adaptation from a novel.

Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Again you seem oblivious to the fact that all stories are derivative to some extent. The only thing that marks one as memorable and one as forgettable is the execution.
    The old Menandrian plot,boy meets girl, boy loses girl,boy gets girl back. Except somethings the boy is a girl and the girl is a great white whale.

Harry Potter succeeds because it successfully creates and maintains a unique and complex universe filled with characters that people can cheer for or root against.The "derivative story" is almost incidental to that fact.
    Discussing anything with you is unpleasant, due to your insulting, confrontational style. I want to make that very clear, in case I seem to skip over your future posts.

Now, as for derivation in story telling, I agree that it is nigh impossible to prevent some level of that, but the teenage fantasy fiction genre is filled with tales about boys becoming men and saving the world in the process. I don't know about you, but I've read dozens of those and no longer find them entertaining without other aspects of the story making up for it. So, yes, execution is indeed important. Harry Potter has a brilliant setting, but that is only one component and insufficient for me to appreciate the story. Just as with Star Wars. Give me the universe, screw Skywalker. Comprende?

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast