Thread: VPN Shopping: Advise Welcome

Now that Hopey is going to be implementing the Great American Firewall, I'll obviously be needing a VPN.
    I almost never use torrents. My upload is capped horribly.
    I probably download about 50gb of stuff per month. Very light useage. And what I download is usually off of file hosts.

So I have two questions about providers. One, do I need a dedicated ip or will I generally not run into "download slot taken" if I'm on shared? I don't really know what the average number of people on a "shared" ip is. Obviously if it's more than a few I need dedicated.
    And secondly, who's the cheapest useable host for my needs? With as little as I DL a 1mbps connection would be fine. And obviously a low total data cap is fine as well.

I don't really care if it disconnects a few times per day. I'm not concerned about ip leakage. This is strictly for bypass, not anonymity.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Quote Originally Posted by WindWalkerX View Post
    So I have two questions about providers. One, do I need a dedicated ip or will I generally not run into "download slot taken" if I'm on shared? I don't really know what the average number of people on a "shared" ip is. Obviously if it's more than a few I need dedicated.
    Many hosters check IPs to impose limitations, so you are going to run into "limits reached" messages if you share a single WAN IP with a large chunk of people.

However, many VPN services provide dynamic IPs, so check this first and go for one that does.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    I know I'll get it from time to time. No big deal with JDownloader. That's why I'm wondering how many people I share with. If it's like 6 I can wait. If it's like 40, I'll never get anything. I know it varies by provider but I'm assuming there's a general range. <> 10 is my line of thinking. Less than 10 should be okay. More is probably not.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    ca_aok's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Were I you, I'd try to get a dirt cheap seedbox slice with either root access or an admin amenable to installing new software. Stick OpenVPN on it, done.

The static IP between hundreds or thousands of users will undoubtedly cause you problems with those notices.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatcdfan View Post
    u are somewhat fairer then the last occasions but still pal i give a damn to what u said and expect i really dont need anything from u or optimuscrime i get what i want coz u 2 guyes dont own bittorrent and i dont think i portrayed any image i wrote simple english and u are seems to be very good at making assumptions if someone is not a cheater and u assume he's a cheater and write what u wrote and when u are proven wrong who u think will owe an apology then barack obama????

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    The radical idea of emailing some sites occurred to me.
    I'll relist what they told me(at face value):

vpnuk.net:
    160 people per server. 32 ips per server(about 5 person persons per ip)

vpndog.com:
    10 max

acevpn.com:
    20-40

santrex.net:
    "We do not provide such information" - I'd say avoid. I'd guess it's 1 ip per server.

swissvpn.net:
    All users have a dedicated ip(this is surprising for $6 a month if true).

So I guess I have 3 options Always nice to have multiple good options.