Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: George Soros-- we need more foreign influence in the United States.

I'm quoting from the ultra-liberal, left-wing commie Media Matters, so Clocky and Lucifer won't have to worry about the source too much...

http://mediamatters.org/research/201011110032

"QUESTIONER: My name is Lee Retiener, and sir, it seems to me four options have arisen today, only one of which is new and hasn't been spoken of yet. Your option of creating a new community of democracies, which in a sense is pronouncing the U.N. a little bit dead [...] The second is improving the United Nations. Its failures -- I don't mean in the Security Council but over the past 20 years and through the dominance of the Group of 77 and the new world economic order -- gave Wolfowitz the right, the power, and the philosophical justification, and those like him, to do what he has now done. That's part of the answer to the question that was asked earlier. So improving the United Nations, which is a long-sought-after goal, is one to which great effort would have to be given. But there's another way, which would be entirely unconstitutional, but I advance it not for the sake of humor, but only to help thought -- which is to create a third branch of Congress for foreign governments only. Proportionate representation in the United States Congress so that the Chinese can legitimately give money, so that Israel can give us money --

[unintelligible]

The question is whether we need and whether Mr. Soros and his foundations can help to bring more foreign influence into the United States instead of relying on what is essentially a balance between Democrats and conservative Republicans, which hasn't worked and is not about to start working.

SOROS: Look, I think -- I think you put your finger on a very important flaw in the current world order, and that is that only Americans have a vote in Congress. And yet, it is the United States that basically determines policy for the world. That is a flaw in the current setup. I don't think you can correct it by giving the Chinese government a vote in Congress. But it is a flaw, and I think this is where American leadership is needed, to take into account and respect the interests of others as well, in order to retain the dominant position we currently enjoy."

I am curious to read what everyone thinks about Soros' comments. Is our system flawed because only citizens of the United States get a say in what goes on in our own congress?
    Who can take your money and give it to someone else? The Government Can! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO2eh...layer_embedded

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by 999969999 View Post
    Is our system flawed because only citizens of the United States get a say in what goes on in our own congress?
    No, there's a lot more wrong than that.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    惡魔的提倡者
    I'm quoting from the ultra-liberal, left-wing commie Media Matters, so Clocky and Lucifer won't have to worry about the source too much...
    If it's a full factual quote with all context included the source doesn't matter. You seem to be under the impression that challenging incorrect statements is something only a liberal would do.

you also seem ignorant of what communism actually is.

Out of interest, the article you linked to corrected Beck. Who do you feel more accurately reported the conversation, Beck or the website?

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Is our system flawed because only citizens of the United States get a say in what goes on in our own congress?
    So, you agree with Soros?

And what other things are wrong with the U.S. in your opinion? You said there is a lot more wrong than that.
    Who can take your money and give it to someone else? The Government Can! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO2eh...layer_embedded

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by devilsadvocate View Post
    If it's a full factual quote with all context included the source doesn't matter. You seem to be under the impression that challenging incorrect statements is something only a liberal would do.

you also seem ignorant of what communism actually is.

Out of interest, the article you linked to corrected Beck. Who do you feel more accurately reported the conversation, Beck or the website?
    The Media Matters website did include the full quote. But in this particular case, the rest of the quote really didn't help improve my opinion of Soros. And even Media Matters admits that Soros did say this: "Look, I think -- I think you put your finger on a very important flaw in the current world order, and that is that only Americans have a vote in Congress. And yet, it is the United States that basically determines policy for the world. That is a flaw in the current setup." Do you agree with this?

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    惡魔的提倡者
    Do you think we should have bases on foreign land? Do you think we should be interfering with foreign politics, elections etc. Should we be supporting one country over another or remain neutral?

We treat international issues on what's best for America, do you think other countries should be looking out for American interests over their own?

If the middle east suddenly put an embargo on oil what should we do?

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Do you think we should have bases on foreign land? Do you think we should be interfering with foreign politics, elections etc. Should we be supporting one country over another or remain neutral?

We treat international issues on what's best for America, do you think other countries should be looking out for American interests over their own?

Answer my question first, and then I will answer yours.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Clocky, I'm still waiting for your oh so intelligent answer.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    惡魔的提倡者

Answer my question first, and then I will answer yours.
    Your answer is in the questions I posed.

I'll help you out by explaining the context of what Soros was responding to.

The USA is the biggest influence on the world forum. We expect what we want without giving the rest of the world a say.

His response is that we should take the views of the rest of the world into account when we decide on foreign policy. It's NOT about foreign influence in our domestic business and he did state other countries shouldn't have a vote in our government. It's about listening to others who enjoy or suffer the effects of what we do outside the USA.

Now you've made a few statements hinting you prefer an isolationist approach to world politics. If you can forget what Beck told you Soros is saying and actually read and understand what Soros said, then you may find you agree with much of it.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10

Now to answer your questions...

Should we have bases on foreign land? No. I support pulling our troops out of all bases throughout the world and bringing them home to the U.S., and downsizing the military to a merely defensive force. I would use them to defend the northern and southern borders, and secure the seaports and shipping lanes around the U.S.

Do you think we should be interfering with foreign politics, elections etc.? No. We have no business spreading "democracy" throughout the world. We need to mind our own business and start focusing on our own affairs.

Should we be supporting one country over another or remain neutral? We should start becoming neutral. And this includes our support for Israel-- it needs to come to an end. This is one area that I have flip-flopped on and now I disagree with Beck and all the other conservative talk show hosts on this issue. We need to get out of the middle east entirely, and that means cutting off all support for Israel as well.

We treat international issues on what's best for America, do you think other countries should be looking out for American interests over their own? Do we really treat international issues on what's best for America? I don't think we do. Why do we have such a huge trade deficit? And no, we can't expect other countries to be looking out for American interests over their own. But then, we need to start doing what is best for our own country and stop trying to be the world's policeman and friend and humanitarian, as well.

If the middle east suddenly put an embargo on oil what should we do? We need to start getting off of foreign oil so that it would not matter if that happened. I watched a recent 60 Minutes (CBS) episode where they said we have enough natural gas in the United States mainland (not offshore) to last for generations. Some of the ranch machinery and trucks in my family's business already run on natural gas. If the United States would convert our cars to run on natural gas (as well as using electric vehicles, etc.), we wouldn't need foreign oil anymore.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast