Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I miss 4:3 monitors :(

iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1
    You have to scroll too much on 16:9
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

2. Lounge   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    No.
    You fit the same vertically, and more horizontally.
    So not more scrolling, sometimes less.
    Movies become larger in 16:10 though.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I dislike the way those new format monitors artificially stretch text.
    I also resent the assumption by manufacturers that I'm buying a monitor to watch movies and will accept degrading text so Paul Blart: Mall Cop plays in the correct ratio.
    I'm still running twin 20" 4:3 IBM monitors.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Lounge   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    I dislike the way those new format monitors artificially stretch text.
    I also resent the assumption by manufacturers that I'm buying a monitor to watch movies and will accept degrading text so Paul Blart: Mall Cop plays in the correct ratio.
    I'm still running twin 20" 4:3 IBM monitors.
    How does it stretch text?

5. Lounge   -   #5
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    It doesn't, not if the web page or whatever is designed for that format. If it's not then it just has wide bars down the sides.

He's just a very old man and is thinking about his TV rather than a computer monitor.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Mr. Mulder's Avatar pepper your angus BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    monitors are all in the cloud now, i don't need to view stuff when it’s all wireless and in the cloud. I've let Amazon host my viewing and have completely taken away my monitor and am now left with just the bottom part to my laptop. Safe in the knowledge that all my pixels are backed up and accessible anywhere i log-in from

7. Lounge   -   #7
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post
    It doesn't, not if the web page or whatever is designed for that format. If it's not then it just has wide bars down the sides.

He's just a very old man and is thinking about his TV rather than a computer monitor.
    Yes well if you have the correct resolution set nothing will ever get stretched in any way.

8. Lounge   -   #8
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mulder View Post
    monitors are all in the cloud now, i don't need to view stuff when it’s all wireless and in the cloud. I've let Amazon host my viewing and have completely taken away my monitor and am now left with just the bottom part to my laptop. Safe in the knowledge that all my pixels are backed up and accessible anywhere i log-in from
    Just don't violate their terms of service.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    I miss the old black and white televisions the size of ovens with the displays the size of the windows in them. The high pitch out of their tubes let you know when people were home without having to knock. Now that was a television! People and their techmologies...

Back to reality...don't you both spend time in the hardware section discussing PC mods and upgrades- like water cooling? Strange you would have issues with a format designed around greater usability (yes, initially designed for movies, but also fitting the horizontal viewing characteristics of the human eyes).
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    ScottK's Avatar Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    http://lookpic.com/c1/i2/2966/1BV6WBRw.jpeg

mine
    Last edited by ScottK; 12-12-2010 at 04:56 PM. Reason: not showing eh?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast