Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Change tracker in a BitTorrent file

  1. #1
    Hey guys,

    I'm currently facing a little problem, hope you can help me

    I downloaded a torrent on a private tracker, and I'd like to share it on another.
    The problem is I don't have SSH access to my seedbox, so I cannot create a fresh new torrent from the files I've got.
    Would it be possible to edit this torrent, change the tracker and upload it to the other tracker ?
    I tested some online tools such as http://torrenteditor.com , seems to work but I'd like to be sure if possible

    Thank you all !

  2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Waddafocky's Avatar dvd BT Rep: +1
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    378
    Wait, so if you're not going to download the files to your box, why get them in the first place?

  3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by iUp View Post
    Would it be possible to edit this torrent, change the tracker and upload it to the other tracker ?
    Yes. That will cause both .torrent files to have the same info_hash though, so you may cause other users problems (their clients will refuse to load the second one if they're already running the one you edited, and that uTorrent auto-loading issue that I don't know if it's solved).
    "Come visit sometime, okay? We'll always be here for you. We... we all love you."

  4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Poster BT Rep: +2
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    183
    That seems complex..You dont need edit any torrent, really You can do this:
    1)
    Create the new torrent with a different piece size
    Create a new .torrent file as you normally would, filling in the correct announce URL for the second tracker. The only difference is you will change the piece size from the default of "auto-detect" to whatever is the next-closest to, but different from, the existing torrent.
    2)Run +1 utorrent instances (there is a tutorial at Fsf)
    Last edited by pakito; 12-15-2010 at 01:25 PM.

  5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    cinephilia's Avatar I don't like you BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    behind you
    Posts
    5,463
    Quote Originally Posted by anon-sbi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by iUp View Post
    Would it be possible to edit this torrent, change the tracker and upload it to the other tracker ?
    Yes. That will cause both .torrent files to have the same info_hash though, so you may cause other users problems (their clients will refuse to load the second one if they're already running the one you edited, and that uTorrent auto-loading issue that I don't know if it's solved).
    both ? i think he was talking about a single torrent. if i'm not mistaken, he wants to stop a torrent downloaded from tracker A, change the tracker announce for tracker B and then, upload it to tracker B (same exact files and hash).
    whenever people agree with me, i always feel i must be wrong.

  6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    kukushka's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +14BT Rep +14BT Rep +14
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    1,030
    if you're able to manually point in the client where your torrent contents should be located, it's better to change in torrenteditor the base directory name of the torrent to a smth similar, but yet different, and then just point your torrent client to a new location. this way you'll have a different hash and will be able to cross seed safely at the same time and will also keep other potential cross seeders in safety..

    Quote Originally Posted by pakito View Post
    That seems complex..You dont need edit any torrent, really You can do this:
    1)
    Create the new torrent with a different piece size
    Create a new .torrent file as you normally would, filling in the correct announce URL for the second tracker. The only difference is you will change the piece size from the default of "auto-detect" to whatever is the next-closest to, but different from, the existing torrent.
    2)Run +1 utorrent instances (there is a tutorial at Fsf)
    did he said that he can't create a new torrent? i guess he did. also i assume that there's a minimal chances that there's utorrent at his box and he can manage it to run the 2nd instance
    Last edited by kukushka; 12-15-2010 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by cinephilia View Post
    both ? i think he was talking about a single torrent. if i'm not mistaken, he wants to stop a torrent downloaded from tracker A, change the tracker announce for tracker B and then, upload it to tracker B (same exact files and hash).
    From this part of his post, I got the idea he wants to seed both torrents at the same time:
    I downloaded a torrent on a private tracker, and I'd like to share it on another.
    The problem is I don't have SSH access to my seedbox, so I cannot create a fresh new torrent from the files I've got.
    Would it be possible to edit this torrent, change the tracker and upload it to the other tracker ?
    Maybe I'm wrong, of course. Let's wait for him to clarify.

    Quote Originally Posted by pakito View Post
    That seems complex..You dont need edit any torrent, really You can do this:
    1)Create the new torrent with a different piece size
    I think that's not a possibility in this particular case...
    "Come visit sometime, okay? We'll always be here for you. We... we all love you."

  8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Waddafocky's Avatar dvd BT Rep: +1
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    378
    I think nobody knows what the OP wanted.

  9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    1000possibleclaws's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    4,961
    Can you download the data onto your home computer as well, upload the torrent from there, then delete it from your home client and download the torrent from the tracker onto your box. Since you already have the data on your box, it's a matter of pointing the download location to the appropriate folder. Then you have do all the seeding from your box.

  10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    cinephilia's Avatar I don't like you BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    behind you
    Posts
    5,463
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarkial View Post
    I think nobody knows what the OP wanted.
    he simply wanted to know if he could download a torrent from tracker A on his seedbox and then, upload (not cross-seed, reseed etc) it on tracker B by just editing the tracker announce since he's not able to create a new torrent.
    whenever people agree with me, i always feel i must be wrong.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •