Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another Border Patrol Agent has been killed in Arizona.

Our border, as well all know, is very safe and secure, and the feds are doing a great job of protecting our national sovereignty. Thanks Obama, and thanks Janet Napolitano! Keep up the good work!

http://www.kpho.com/news/26140726/detail.html

NOGALES, Ariz. -- A U.S. Border Patrol agent was killed during an exchange of gunfire between agents and several armed individuals near the Arizona-Mexico border, according to an inside Border Patrol report.

The head of a Border Patrol agents' union said agent Brian A. Terry was shot to death Tuesday night north of the Arizona-Mexico border while trying to catch "bandits" who target illegal immigrants.

•Slideshow: Images: Inside Look At Border Agent Killing

•Text Statement from the National Association of Former Border Patrol Officers

National Border Patrol Council President T.J. Bonner said Terry was waiting with three other agents in a remote area north of Nogales late last night when a gun battle with the bandits ensued. No other agents were injured, but one of the suspects was wounded in the shootout.

The Border Patrol said that Manuel Arianes, a.k.a. Manuel Arellanes Osorio, was wounded in the gunfight.

Arianes, 34, and a Mexican national, was convicted in Maricopa County Superior Court in 2006 for aggravated assault on a police officer, and had been deported to Mexico twice, according to sources familiar with his case.

See how secure our border is?! They can come across whenever they feel like it and we can't (or won't) stop them. Thank you, Federal Government, for not helping us, and instead suing us in Federal Court over SB 1070!

Border Patrol spokesman Eric Cantu and FBI spokeswoman Brenda Lee Nath declined to confirm Bonner's account, but said authorities have four suspects in custody and are searching for a fifth.

FBI Special Agent Manuel J. Johnson confirmed authorities were still searching for a fifth suspect.

Johnson said Terry died shortly after he was shot about 11:15 p.m. in a remote and rugged area near Rio Rico, just north of Nogales.

No names of those in custody were available, Johnson said.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with the Terry family for their tragic loss," said U.S. Customs and Border Protection Commissioner Alan Bersin.

"Our commitment to Agent Terry and his family is that we will do everything possible to bring to justice those responsible for this despicable act" Bersin said.

“This is a stark reminder of the realities we face each and every day in protecting this border and protecting our communities,” said deputy chief Richard Barlow, United States Border Patrol, Tucson sector.

The FBI is leading the investigation with cooperation of the Santa Cruz County Sheriff's Office, according to CBP.

"Today we are deeply saddened by the loss of Agent Brian Terry, a patrol officer from the Nogales Border Patrol Station," the Arizona Cattleman's Association said in a news release. "We are thankful for his dedicated service to protecting the United States of America."

U.S. Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., said, "This event is yet another reminder of the dangers the men and women of the Border Patrol face every day as they put their lives on the line to protect the American people.

"The increased violence in the border region demands that Congress provide the necessary resources and personnel to ensure the safety of all Americans, especially border patrol agents stationed on the border, and fulfill the Federal government's responsibility to secure our border," McCain said.

Terry was 40 years old. He is survived by his parents and three brothers and sisters
    Last edited by 999969999; 12-16-2010 at 05:14 PM.
    Who can take your money and give it to someone else? The Government Can! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO2eh...layer_embedded

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    So, what would you like to see happen?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 999969999 View Post
    Our border, as well all know, is very safe and secure, and the feds are doing a great job of protecting our national sovereignty. Thanks Obama, and thanks Janet Napolitano! Keep up the good work!

http://www.kpho.com/news/26140726/detail.html

NOGALES, Ariz. -- A U.S. Border Patrol agent was killed during an exchange of gunfire between agents and several armed individuals near the Arizona-Mexico border, according to an inside Border Patrol report.

The head of a Border Patrol agents' union said agent Brian A. Terry was shot to death Tuesday night north of the Arizona-Mexico border while trying to catch "bandits" who target illegal immigrants.

•Text Statement from the National Association of Former Border Patrol Officers

National Border Patrol Council President T.J. Bonner said Terry was waiting with three other agents in a remote area north of Nogales late last night when a gun battle with the bandits ensued. No other agents were injured, but one of the suspects was wounded in the shootout.

The Border Patrol said that Manuel Arianes, a.k.a. Manuel Arellanes Osorio, was wounded in the gunfight.

Arianes, 34, and a Mexican national, was convicted in Maricopa County Superior Court in 2006 for aggravated assault on a police officer, and had been deported to Mexico twice, according to sources familiar with his case.

See how secure our border is?! They can come across whenever they feel like it and we can't (or won't) stop them. Thank you, Federal Government, for not helping us, and instead suing us in Federal Court over SB 1070!

Border Patrol spokesman Eric Cantu and FBI spokeswoman Brenda Lee Nath declined to confirm Bonner's account, but said authorities have four suspects in custody and are searching for a fifth.

FBI Special Agent Manuel J. Johnson confirmed authorities were still searching for a fifth suspect.

Johnson said Terry died shortly after he was shot about 11:15 p.m. in a remote and rugged area near Rio Rico, just north of Nogales.

No names of those in custody were available, Johnson said.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with the Terry family for their tragic loss," said U.S. Customs and Border Protection Commissioner Alan Bersin.

"Our commitment to Agent Terry and his family is that we will do everything possible to bring to justice those responsible for this despicable act" Bersin said.

“This is a stark reminder of the realities we face each and every day in protecting this border and protecting our communities,” said deputy chief Richard Barlow, United States Border Patrol, Tucson sector.

The FBI is leading the investigation with cooperation of the Santa Cruz County Sheriff's Office, according to CBP.

"Today we are deeply saddened by the loss of Agent Brian Terry, a patrol officer from the Nogales Border Patrol Station," the Arizona Cattleman's Association said in a news release. "We are thankful for his dedicated service to protecting the United States of America."

U.S. Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., said, "This event is yet another reminder of the dangers the men and women of the Border Patrol face every day as they put their lives on the line to protect the American people.

"The increased violence in the border region demands that Congress provide the necessary resources and personnel to ensure the safety of all Americans, especially border patrol agents stationed on the border, and fulfill the Federal government's responsibility to secure our border," McCain said.

Terry was 40 years old. He is survived by his parents and three brothers and sisters
    Excuse my confusion. What exactly are 'bandits? Are they American citizens trying to shoot people trying to enter America illegally? If so, you can hardly blame Obama for that.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    The 5 "bandits" in the area are known for drug smuggling, human trafficking, and extreme violence. They target and rob illegal immigrants as they cross the border. In other words, Mexicans robbing Mexicans.

The group you're describing is usually referred to as a "border militia" or "citizen patrol"; a different but related topic.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    I wonder how much the border violence problem might be mitigated if the US wasn't supplying weapons to the bandits.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    So, what would you like to see happen?
    I would like to see the Federal Government actually do its job by defending the borders of all the states bordering Mexico.

It has made it quite clear in its lawsuit against Arizona's 1070 law that immigration issues are a Federal issue, not a state issue, and they seem to act outraged that Arizona would do anything to try to discourage illegal immigrants from coming to Arizona, and yet, the Federal Government has failed to do its job to stop illegal immigrants from flooding across the border, which is why Arizona is trying to reduce the number of illegal aliens coming here and reduce the numbers of those already here through attrition.

I am making the assumption that the Feds really don't want to stop illegal immigration for a myriad of reasons. One is that businesses want cheap labor they can use and abuse. Both Republicans and Democrats are guilty of that one. Another is that Democrats see them as potential voters. And there are others, of course.

If I was in charge, I would build a huge fence all the way along the border. No, it won't stop them from crossing, but it will slow them down long enough to catch them. I would also hire enough border patrol agents to completely secure the entire border and stop people from crossing it illegally. And I would hire enough of them to properly man all the points of entry and checkpoints and seaports to make sure that no one gets across our borders illegally.

If we cannot (or will not) stop people from coming here whenever they feel like it, then we are losing our national sovereignty.

Manuel Arianes had been deported twice already (once after he assaulted a police officer!), and yet he kept coming across our border illegally until he was involved in the killing of one of our border patrol agents. The southern part of Arizona is becoming a war zone with illegal aliens attacking other illegal aliens and now, American citizens.

There are parts of the Arizona desert with signs telling hikers to avoid the area because it is no longer safe to be in parts of their own country.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbeyHmWbQjs

"Danger-Public Warning
    Travel Not Recommended
    Active Drug and Human Smuggling Area
    Visitors May Encounter Armed Criminals and Smuggling Vehicles Traveling at High Rates of Speed
    Stay Away from Trash, Clothing, Backpacks, and Abandoned Vehicles
    If You See Suspicious Activity, DO NOT CONFRONT! Move Away and Call 911
    BLM Encourages Visitors to Use Public Lands North of Interstate 8
    For More Information, call 623-580-5500"

We are gradually losing control over parts of our own country. I don't blame the illegal aliens for this. I blame us. We have not been doing our job to protect our own country from invaders. It is up to us. It is not up to Mexico to protect us. We need to start protecting ourselves from this invasion.
    Last edited by 999969999; 12-17-2010 at 09:27 PM.
    Who can take your money and give it to someone else? The Government Can! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO2eh...layer_embedded

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    I wonder how much the border violence problem might be mitigated if the US wasn't supplying weapons to the bandits.
    How could they get the weapons if the Federal Government did its job by preventing them from illegally crossing the border to get the weapons?

If the Feds controlled the border properly, humans, drugs and weapons would no longer be able to flow across the border illegally at all.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    First of all, I can't think of a single example of a non-porous border...anywhere or anytime.
    Can you?

Second, what you propose seems very similar to the approach taken by the TSA- i.e., lots of manpower and lots of tech- which hasn't shown any tangible results but certainly has made our lives more miserable.

I would suggest that some relatively simple political changes would have more impact than the Big Fence approach.
    Legalize the drugs that make smuggling so profitable and prosecute the employers who depend on illegal labor, for starters.

Beyond that, I don't know.
    I do think that we all will have to accept a certain amount of porosity at the border unless we're willing to turn into a North Korea military dictatorship.
    Which is kind of humorous actually...N. Korea has the template for the border you seem to envision but it defends a country no one wants to get into.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    惡魔的提倡者
    Quote Originally Posted by 999969999 View Post

If the Feds controlled the border properly, humans, drugs and weapons would no longer be able to flow across the border illegally at all.
    You do know that the border patrol agent (may he RIP) that you used as an example for your talk radio fueled rant was a federal enforcement officer and was killed while protecting the border?

I'm glad you appreciate his sacrifice, really I am, but I'm also sorry you feel he and other agents like him either didn't want to do the job or simply wasn't up to the task.

He wasn't killed because the federal government isn't enforcing the border, he was killed while enforcing it.

How do you intend to pay for your plan?
    Last edited by devilsadvocate; 12-18-2010 at 12:55 AM. Reason: I don't owe you an explaination

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    I have an idea.

We can't afford to patrol/control/defend our border properly, or at all, really, and we certainly don't want to lose any more lives, so why don't we just abandon the border?

Really.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast