Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Opera 11's out

Slickerey's Avatar <3 FST BT Rep: +2
    *cough* Super bar *cough*

2. Software & Hardware   -   #32
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    Quote Originally Posted by anon-sbi View Post
    For me, less processes equals more memory available to the rest of the system, which I think we'll agree is good. I can't comment on kernel crashes and the like, but I've never had any major issues with XP. Maybe I'm a bit of a stubborn "what the hell, it works for me" user. Your points are valid, however.

After reading your post, I do kind of feel like giving Tiny7 a second chance, though. Maybe I'll like it this time. Jokes aside, I've seen a lot of things on Windows 7 (in the netbook), that I do like.
    Stay the fuck away from Tiny7. It's a major piece of shit. Try to install .NET framework (which many apps require) and other plugins. It's completely broken, its network and sharing center isn't able to do many otherwise simple tasks, and there's more. It was a nightmare.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #33
    Thanks for the tip-off. Do you know any other "lite" Windows 7 editions that work fine, or should I grab vLite/RT7Lite and make my own?
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

4. Software & Hardware   -   #34
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    No, and I've looked. If you want to tweak a W7 installation, I suggest to focus on the services.msc and the filesystem. Leave the components there.

Windows XP performance sucks, with it refusing to use the available RAM and instead increasing disk access (which is the major bottleneck in any system, unless you are on SSD).
    Seriously, what's the point of having RAM, if it just sits there idle? RAM is supposed to be used, not the frigging HDD.
    So, I've gone the easy way and installed Ubuntu 10.10 Meerkat.

Much faster than XP and even Windows 7, doesn't lack a single feature I need. As I don't use my netbook for gaming, I don't miss DX. Besides, if I need some particular application that can't be replaced, there's always good old Wine, which has gone a long way to become a serious must-have component on any UNIX system. It has FF, Chrome/Chromium and Opera.
    Last edited by Cabalo; 12-25-2010 at 06:02 AM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #35
    Okies, thank you once again for the help. I have already tweaked those two in the installation that came with my netbook, but I feel it wouldn't hurt to reinstall while preventing the components I don't use from being copied to the disk to begin with. I'm grabbing an untouched Windows 7 Ultimate ISO as we speak, and I plan to look on how to modify it to suit my needs tomorrow (or more exactly, later today).

Never really had the issue you mention with XP in my PC, most likely due to the fact I have 1.5GB of RAM and disabled the paging file altogether. I have seen it happen in other computers, though.

I've also heard a lot of good things about Ubuntu, such as the ones you stated, but I don't know shit about Linux, or at least I'm not as familiar with it as with Windows. Maybe one day...
    Last edited by anon; 12-25-2010 at 06:13 AM.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

6. Software & Hardware   -   #36
    Slickerey's Avatar <3 FST BT Rep: +2
    http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/fo...ks-Utilities-*
    http://www.blackviper.com/Windows_7/servicecfg.htm

Those links contain helpful tutorials. I used them to tweak my last Windows 7 install. I didn't need things like Print Spooler or Home Groups.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #37
    Yeah, I have used that black viper's reference for my individual installations over and over. I almost recognize them all by name now.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #38
    karachidude's Avatar Excelsior BT Rep: +5
    havnt ever used opera,but i wll check it out in the future prolly,heard good things bout it

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234