Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Astraweb's slowdowns & propagation issues in the evening (GMT)

Has anyone else been experiencing slowdowns and propagations issues in the evening(GMT time)? On all servers, though ssl ones are a bit better in terms of speed during peak usage times..It has been happening for several months now starting from the day when shit hit the fan on the AW's side we all remember that..it got better since that day but these issues are still unresolved though its nothing like it was back then

When i switch to giganews everything is fine, they ve been rock solid so far..

I autodownload lots of scene stuff via watch filters and got 50mbit line so any problem is easily noticed.
    What i see is noticeable slowdowns+ uploaded stuff get processed really slow by their servers.

Once i had to wait up to 20 minutes to get it all completed and get it without article not found errors..
    Last edited by Hypatia; 12-30-2010 at 11:29 PM. Reason: update

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    sandman_1's Avatar Poster
    No problems here with downloading. Once the connections settle down, I usually get 18-19.2Mbps consistantly on a 18Mbps line. Now I can't say anything about uploading because I rarely do that.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    I never have any problems either. Although I don't have a whole lot left on my current block account, so I don't use Astraweb as much as I used to. But I did just use it a couple night ago and my speed was maxed.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Since I have the 'hammer' down on US-SSL.Astraweb to the tune of some 15GB/day.... no.

Which server are you using (I'll figure Amsterdam?), and have you done a traceroute study as to the path from you to the server...?

There was a bit of a wobble a week or two ago on the US server, but at the same time the EU one was rock steady; then things cleared up and have been fine since.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Beck38

As ive mentioned ive tried all of them.. SSL ones are the least of all affected.(general and european)

The issues are there unfortunately. Others people from other forums have noticed it as well...
    But u need a good connection 50-100 mbit to notice it,since mentioned 18 mbit doesnt cut it.
    and to be able to monitor all this when it happens. And it does.

As for propagation issues considering uploaded stuff its very clear if u use headers. Throughout the day its OK then at a certain hours it starts to fail.SOmetimes the "fail" is so severe it requires repost.
    Though if you try fresh nzb at a peak usage time then ull get articles "not found too"///
    The period is somewhat short(usually about an hour or even less, sometimes a bit more) in terms of 24 hours day, but its there.
    Last edited by Hypatia; 12-17-2010 at 07:51 AM.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Hyptia long time RSS subscriber first time poster

Unlike other posters here I also notice Astraweb will sometimes slow down in the evening, however it is hard for me to work out if its my ISP or Astraweb, however I think sometimes its a bit of both, obviously when I change my port from SSL to 8080 its my ISP, but sometimes ill change the port (or not have downloaded more than my ISP limits me before they cap my connection) and Astraweb will still run slowly.

Im on a 50MBps connection.

Unfortunately I havnt had a chance to test with another provider yet but im thinking about getting a block account with another provider in the New Year.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    The number of folks with the access to speeds that high are around .0001% of the US internet population (My math may be off, but no more than 1 million 'potential' folks). About 10% have access to around 10mb/s downstream, and about 10% of those actually are able to pay for it (so, 1% total). This is the result of the 'free market'. Current FedGov 'goal' is to get 4Mb/s to the entire country by around 2014. (note this is BITS, not BYTES). Then again, I continually have to remind folks that the US land area exceeds the whole of Europe from London to Moscow, with large tracts with the population density of Siberia.

But I monitor 3-4 providers while uploading through Astraweb (server closest to me), and at my slow-ass (to you) speed, propagation is 100% to Giganews and others. But I'm 'lucky' that I have DOCSIS3 speeds. If I lived about 3 miles away, I'd be on FIOS with triple the speed (up and down), for the same price, but they are (according to all local reports) driving that system into the ground with poor maintenance and almost monthly price hikes. So... I 'guess' these would be 'nice' problems to have, but I currently don't have any of them, and I watch things like a hawk.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by juo100 View Post
    Hyptia long time RSS subscriber first time poster

Unlike other posters here I also notice Astraweb will sometimes slow down in the evening, however it is hard for me to work out if its my ISP or Astraweb...
    It is most likely your ISP that is throttling NNTP traffic. One of the reasons for using SSL, is not only for security purposes, but also to bypass throttling by an ISP.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Oh well.. as for me ive resolved Aw's upload's processing problems quite simply - i got mysef $5 giganews account lol

So, now for $16 a month i got AW for downloads(i'll bear for a while with those issues, besides they dont last long) and my uploads will be always processed as fast as they should with no incompletes whatsoever 24h\day..
    And incoming\outcoming connections dont affect each other. Simultaneous upload+download =)
    cheers

It is most likely your ISP that is throttling NNTP traffic
    No offence, sandman, but ive heard so many times this line you've just put
    And it always makes me wonder on the nature of mysterious NNTP throttling where giganews isnt affected yet AW is.
    the ways of NNTP are inscrutable
    =)
    Last edited by Hypatia; 12-17-2010 at 11:15 PM.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypatia View Post
    It is most likely your ISP that is throttling NNTP traffic
    No offence, sandman, but ive heard so many times this line you've just put
    And it always makes me wonder on the nature of mysterious NNTP throttling where giganews isnt affected yet AW is.
    the ways of NNTP are inscrutable
    =)
    True, I would admit. However it could be your ISP throttling any traffic during peak hours such as the evening. The crux of the problem, is that I am not having issues, downloading mostly, and you are. So I would assume it is something related to your ISP that is causing the issues. Who is your ISP by the way if you don't mind me asking?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast