Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

Thread: BT vs Usenet

stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    I cant speak spanish so i dont really give a fuck tbh.

alt.binaries.movies.spanish is not a dvd thematic group..I guess it is only avi/mpg
    alt.binaries.dvd.spanish is an amazing active group, really??

I was not searching the info (thanks, anyway), I dont think alt.binaries.dvd.spanish group equals ALL spanish-latin trackers.
    Last edited by stoi; 12-31-2010 at 09:12 PM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #52
    cap87's Avatar wait, what?
    Going to ask in here since most people posting in this thread use both bittorrent and usenet and might had the same questions in the past:

I just started testing usenet (since a few hours back) with ipv6 tunneling and sabnzbd. Tested it and the speeds seem great for a free service. However i still don't get how to search for content. From what i've understood there are various indexers (much like warez-bb for ddl) and i've already signed up in newzbin but i guess i have to pay to have access to more features and i didn't exactly understood how the categories (usenet raw, usenet condensed etc) worked or their purpose.

So my questions:
    - How can i search for content on usenet? I've visited the newsgroups section and it seems like i can even do it on irc, don't know how though.
    - What advantages do i have if i sign up for a paid provider besides speed, connections, ect? And what are the best providers? (no biased opinions please)
    - I've also read about newsleecher... is it better than the client i'm using now? And can i use it with this free setup?

I could have googled it and asked around, but the amount information is just too overwhelming and there are too many different opinions. Maybe those who started in bittorrent can make it more clear.

3. BitTorrent   -   #53
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    1. To look for content on the usenet you have 2 ways: sites like FST that manually index releases, pm me for more info, or automatic indexing sites, which are pretty much the google of the newsgroups. NzbIndex.nl and binsearch.info are the two top contenders.
    2. Paid providers offer you exactly maximum speed on every file, no matter how old it is, and longer retentions. (Most are ranging from 700 to 1000 days, which is HUGE). It's very hard to chose which one is the "best", as many smaller companies are resellers from major ones, and so forth. Really, give it a go on our promotions. I might have something interesting for you.
    3. I use sabnzbd because I like controlling everything from my browser. Newsleecher is the best software client around, while Sab is browser based, which I prefer, and doesn't lack any option. If you are using Chrome, try the extension sabconnect++. It will allow you to add files to the queue on a single click from most sites.

4. BitTorrent   -   #54
    Just to add a quick point about grabbing nzbs on irc. There are several channels whose communities post content, including #alt.binaries.hdtv.x264 @ efnet and a.b.teevee, a.b.dvdr and .dvds all on efnet I believe. You can search for and download the .nzbs through various irc commands. They offer points for filling requests so you can also place requests.

Definitely try a paid provider for 1 month at least. It's worth the "risk" of the minimal monthly fee and with a little effort finding your way to the nzbs, you'll probably end up a convert.

5. BitTorrent   -   #55
    mysoogals's Avatar Poster
    new uploads are always released via newsgroups, from here we go into irc and from IRC we go into bittorrent from bittorrent we go into file hosting companies

been using grabid for streaming for some time , been using bittorrent for streaming since forever, been using ed2k streaming since forever its all true even edonkey links can be streamed .

newsgroups are part of email system so they can't possibly ban it since every windows server has a built in nntp server

the only down side of newsgroups is cost vs bt which is free and has more people active

6. BitTorrent   -   #56
    Talking about HD video, Usenet should be my best option, right?

7. BitTorrent   -   #57
    PerMaFrOsT's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20
    Well, as a heavy user of BluRay niche i prefer BT Nework by far over Usenet.

• PreTimes -> Both are fast
    • Dowload Speed -> BT 30-40MB/s | Usenet 10-13MB/s (NewsDemon)
    • RAR/UNRAR -> BT Folders | Usenet You have to unrar all the files and could need to repair some of them (CRC Errors)
    • Cost -> BT Free | Usenet 10$/Monthly

Anyway my situation is a bit strange because i manage all my downloads with a gbit dedicated server and then i spread it over my house/friends network. I also try to seed well all my downloads and if i can i upload some EUR releases. So for me isnīt difficult to have a good RATIO.
    Last edited by PerMaFrOsT; 01-09-2011 at 05:00 AM.

8. BitTorrent   -   #58
    worldpease's Avatar always annoying
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabalo View Post
    You can shutdown the computer and go sleep. What you save on the power bill by not having the PC on 24/7 is almost enough to pay for a monthly subscription, I would dare say.
    What do you mean by this? I'd really like to know;
    how will the files download if I turn off my PC?

excellent analysis btw, I am about to start trying Usenet and posted about it in the Newsgroup section, and 'anon-sbi' pointed me to your post in relation to a question I had about advantages Usenet has over BT.

9. BitTorrent   -   #59
    Quote Originally Posted by worldpease View Post
    What do you mean by this? I'd really like to know;
    how will the files download if I turn off my PC?
    I think it's a reference to Usenet's speed and lack of uploading. You get the files blazing fast, and since you don't have to seed them afterwards, you can just shut your PC down if you have nothing else to do.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

10. BitTorrent   -   #60
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by PerMaFrOsT View Post
    Well, as a heavy user of BluRay niche i prefer BT Nework by far over Usenet.

• RAR/UNRAR -> BT Folders | Usenet You have to unrar all the files and could need to repair some of them (CRC Errors)

Many clients do that automatically for you (I use newsleecher, it repairs and unrar's them right after finishing downloading).
    The one thing I hate about usenet (though I prefer it and I am an avid usenet user).. is there is lots of wasted downloading.. unless a torrent site that has staff to remove crap like some homemade DVD that has 22 episodes shrunk down to one DVD... you get CAMs converted to DVD9s and things like that. If you are searching using a standard indexing like binsearch.info, you don't know what is actually good to download or not - unless you stick to scene releases only. Using an indexing site though at least you will get comments from other users advising if its worth to download or not.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast