Thread: DNS issues with site

sandman_1's Avatar Poster
    I have AT&T Uverse and having DNS issues with your site. For a few days I wasn't able to get the site to pull up. If I typed the IP address it worked fine, of course. I opened up a OpenDNS account and using their DNS servers so everything is working fine now. Weird that all other sites I have been to are working fine but yours. Do you think they are blocking your site on purpose?

2. Everything Related to the Board   -   #2
    Perhaps FST's IP changed recently and AT&T has yet to catch up.

By the way, you don't need an account to be able to use OpenDNS. I have used it "anonymously" for the last 3.5 years
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

3. Everything Related to the Board   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by anon-sbi View Post

By the way, you don't need an account to be able to use OpenDNS. I have used it "anonymously" for the last 3.5 years
    Yes but anonymously they insert their own search results for page not found, which I do not like. With an account you can change the settings but only if you're IP stays constant, otherwise it needs to be updated every time it changes and I think you have to pay for that.

As for the DNS issues for the site, we had a problem on sunday morning that have cleared up now. Some users were having some DNS issues, so maybe this will pass in a day or two...

Adn as an aside, everybody should run this program: http://code.google.com/p/namebench/
    It will test your current DNS server(s) and a list of the most popular + most local DNS servers for you and return the speed results, then you setup the fastest ones.
    It turned out OpenDNS was actually pretty slow compared to my local ones...

4. Everything Related to the Board   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by tesco View Post
    Yes but anonymously they insert their own search results for page not found, which I do not like. With an account you can change the settings but only if you're IP stays constant, otherwise it needs to be updated every time it changes and I think you have to pay for that.
    Totally right, and I don't exactly like that redirection, but I've learned to live with it since I have a dynamic IP, so the effort turning it off wasn't worth the hassle.

Adn as an aside, everybody should run this program: http://code.google.com/p/namebench/
    It will test your current DNS server(s) and a list of the most popular + most local DNS servers for you and return the speed results, then you setup the fastest ones.
    I ran it some time ago and put all the most popular free DNS servers plus my ISP's on the list. OpenDNS was the fastest - surprising considering you're geographically closer to their servers than me and all.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

5. Everything Related to the Board   -   #5
    sandman_1's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by tesco View Post

As for the DNS issues for the site, we had a problem on sunday morning that have cleared up now. Some users were having some DNS issues, so maybe this will pass in a day or two...

Thanks for the info on that utility. OpenDNS server was fastest after running that test. My ISP DNS server it recommended as secondary.

Edit: Ran the test again and it gave me different results. So I am unsure which settings to use. The OpenDNS servers seem to zippy enough I suppose.
    Last edited by sandman_1; 12-20-2010 at 11:00 PM.

6. Everything Related to the Board   -   #6
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Totally right, and I don't exactly like that redirection, but I've learned to live with it since I have a dynamic IP, so the effort turning it off wasn't worth the hassle.

I ran it some time ago and put all the most popular free DNS servers plus my ISP's on the list. OpenDNS was the fastest - surprising considering you're geographically closer to their servers than me and all.
    It might only be that opendns is slower relative to my local DNS servers.
    Maybe OpenDNS still gets a higher speed for me than it does for you, and your local DNS servers all suck?

Oh and I can confirm the DNS issues. The site's IP changed yesterday morning.
    Pingdom has been emailing me all day with "Site down" "Site up" repeatedly... must mean they cannot connect to FST either...