View Poll Results: Is my hard drive going to die soon?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 36.36%
  • No

6 54.55%
  • I don't care...

1 9.09%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is my hard drive going to die?

tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Lets make this a game.

So here's what happened. Around 1 month ago my computer locked up, no activity from the hard drive, and after a few minutes waiting I just hit the reset button.
    After this, the computer then would act as if there was no OS on the drive (Wouldn't boot windows), but the BIOS was still detecting it.
    I unhooked the drive, tried a different sata cable and port, but now the BIOS would lock up at "detecting sata devices".
    Same thing when I tried it in other computers and with different sata cables.

I found this guide and ordered the necessary cable which finally came yesterday:
    http://www.overclock.net/hard-drives...-fix-pics.html
    A long procedure but it actually worked. And all my data was still there, which was what I really wanted.
    I updated the firmware to hopefully prevent that problem happening again.

Now when viewing the drive with a SMART reader I see this:
    smart.png
    Wikipedia says those two yellow values are signalling imminent hard drive failure.

What do you guys think? Is it going to die?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    It may not "die", but I wouldn't consider it a reliable drive anymore, given the yellow C5 light. It looks like it's got some bad sectors on it, also.

Shortly, if it's within your possibilities, buy a new, healthy drive, copy all your stuff to it with TeraCopy (which can do a CRC32 check for corruption), and stop using your current one.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by anon-sbi View Post
    It may not "die", but I wouldn't consider it a reliable drive anymore, given the yellow C5 light. It looks like it's got some bad sectors on it, also.

Shortly, if it's within your possibilities, buy a new, healthy drive, copy all your stuff to it with TeraCopy (which can do a CRC32 check for corruption), and stop using your current one.
    I already bought a replacement, a 1tb WD blue and a 90gb SSD.
    I was already planning to buy these two things anyway, I needed more space and wanted the speed of an SSD.
    I've backed up the important stuff (fst dev site!! would have lost hours of work), just going to wait a few weeks before adding anything new to the drive.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    Could you post your results using Active Hard Disk Monitor?
    The most significant values are #1 and #7. Some other do not have an impact on potential data loss, but on access times, spin up, etc.
    Last edited by Cabalo; 12-16-2010 at 10:37 PM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    It will be with Baby Hard Drive Jesus soon... He will save its soul, the data is up to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabalo View Post
    Could you post your results using Active Hard Disk Monitor?
    The most significant values are #1 and #7. Some other do not have an impact on potential data loss, but on access times, spin up, etc.
    Can't get it to display anything, just says initlializing if I hit "refresh".

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    God bless its soul.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    I left it for like 2 hours nothing happened.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    smart2.png

I got it working, had to install a newer version, restart, AND manually make it run as administrator.
    It gives the drive an 84% with a green light, so I guess that means good.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Your HDD is in perfect condition.
    As I said before, #1 and #7 are the most relevant signs of a coming death, and those are absolutely fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast