Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Damaged computer!

Expeto's Avatar current user title
    it also never worked for me,

then I learned to use linux liveCD to restore my system manually from "windows/systemvolumeinfo/_restore{...}/.../snapeshot", that very same liveCD obsoleted windows for me

senegal, you should also use a live linux cd, and try to find that folder. Inside that folder, copy ;

_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SECURITY
    _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE
    _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM
    _REGISTRY_MACHINE(or USER)_DEFAULT(i guess)

to system32/config/ than you rename them by deleting prefixes. EG: rename _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE to "software"
    than do ntfsfix, which will big problems and tell windows to fix smaller ones after reboot. You might get a one or two bluescreens at next boots, just reboot again.

You might need to install NTFS3G and NTFSutils to you live cd, which will be done from a working internet connection. Installing network driver for linux is very hard and tricky, its a nice thing that linux does all the driver installs automatically at the boot
    Last edited by Expeto; 12-24-2010 at 07:28 PM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Expeto View Post
    then I learned to use linux liveCD to restore my system manually from "windows/systemvolumeinfo/_restore{...}/.../snapeshot"
    That will only work is system restore was enabled, right?
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    I hope you didn't copy the files from a USB flash drive. USB drive infections are the newest thing, on the rise, and the experts are recommending you disable autostart so you can drag and drop what you want out of them without the flash drive kicking in and infecting your PC.

Be careful with the XP repair, there are two of them. The first one is the recovery console and can delete your data. If you skip it and go on like your going to install from scratch, a second repair option shows right after the F8 accept license when its scans and sees an OS already on the drive. That's the non-destructive repair option, and is mostly available on retail disks. It does replace your system though, and all critical updates not integrated onto a SP3 XP Disk will be removed and you have to redownload. For thst reason those who use this option oftem create their own XP SP3 with the latests criticals integrated with nlite from their original retail disk. Just don't go overboard with nlite. I integrated sata drivers on one and the second repair option disappeared. The same original disk with only criticals worked fine.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Quote Originally Posted by anon-sbi View Post
    then I learned to use linux liveCD to restore my system manually from "windows/systemvolumeinfo/_restore{...}/.../snapeshot"
    That will only work is system restore was enabled, right?
    Technically yes. But windows XP isn't very skilled at managing system restore, at least my copy wasn't. Even with the backups and restore stuff disable I sometimes found such a restore files.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Technically yes. But windows XP isn't very skilled at managing system restore, at least my copy wasn't.
    That's true. Even when you disable SR, the restore points' data remains there.

I prefer daily ERUNT backups, however. senegal may have to learn this the hard way.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Quote Originally Posted by anon-sbi View Post
    senegal may have to learn this the hard way.
    Didn't we all learned that way?

Is there even another way of learning value of the backups?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Didn't we all learned that way?

Is there even another way of learning value of the backups?
    So true

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Two questions for senegal:

If this is a work computer, why is it up to you to fix it?

If it IS up to you to fix it, can you demand a new monitor and hardware that will support Win 7?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    BANNED BT Rep: +5
    The problem was solved.
    Next day when I showed up at work, I turned on the computer and everything was just fine like nothing happened.
    It might be the PC's temperature.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Or maybe someone was sent to clean your mess up.

If you think it's the temperature, there are countless programs to monitor it and warn you if it goes too high.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast