Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to get this Ubuntu feature on XP (Workplace)

iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1
    In Ubuntu you can send windows to different "workplaces" and when you wanted to view them you switch to appropriate workplace.

Anyone know a feature like this for Windows?
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    That's called a virtual desktop. There are many apps providing such a feature in Windows, such as VirtuaWin and Virtual Dimension. Microsoft even has its own implementation, named Virtual Desktop Manager and provided as part of their PowerToys for Windows XP.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Anon you're a legend thanks.

How the fuck did you get 10, 000 posts in under a few months anyway? Can't be that much flaming in the BT section ...
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by iLOVENZB View Post
    How the fuck did you get 10, 000 posts in under a few months anyway? Can't be that much flaming in the BT section ...
    There's lots of spam, though.

J-Dye even uses the BT section instead of the lounge at times. That should speak for itself.
    Last edited by anon; 12-24-2010 at 03:15 AM.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    You can also try Dexpot.
    Last edited by Cabalo; 01-02-2011 at 03:33 PM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Thanks Cabalo, works a treat too. In fact I think Dexport has a friendlier UI than the VDesktop from the PowerToys

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    Remember to install the plugins, which allow the desktop preview on the taskbar.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Quarterquack's Avatar sprclfrglstcxpldcs BT Rep: +3
    I'd recommend true launch bar (just torrent/nzb a cracked version) + the virtual desktops plugin. Works exactly like the one on Linux, and it come with MUCH MUCH more customization features so that you can turn your taskbar (or taskbars) into exact Linux replicas. I've done it to my Winstall.
    Ellipses go here.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    I was doing some reading at their site (http://www.truelaunchbar.com) but couldn't find any reference to the virtual desktops though.
    Could you show a screenie so I can see how it works?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Quarterquack's Avatar sprclfrglstcxpldcs BT Rep: +3
    Look at the top left corner.

Screen 1:

Screen 2:

I still haven't figured out how to get the shadow to show up on both screens without running two instances.
    Also, the virtual desktops plugin is here.
    Ellipses go here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast