Thread: Usenet noob question: How to get articles in real time?

I'm not sure if this question sounds dumb, but is there any way for me to see articles as soon as they are posted? I know that sometimes users are too busy to post every single collection that hits Usenet right as it's posted.

What's the easiest way to see a real-time stream of articles as soon as they propagate. I know that even Binsearch or NZBindex only refresh every 15 minutes or so.

I'm using alt.binz, if it matters.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    You could try using incremental manual updates on the desired groups.
    Just add the relevant groups you want to scan, and whenever you update them on your usenet client, you should have it 0-second.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    The fastest way to get articles as soon as they are uploaded is via old-school downloading headers method(thank Cthulhu they are now compressed lol)

Altbinz doesnt support headers

Usenet Explorer allows you to set auto get headers interval to 1 min(!)
    u can also set in the settings if u'd like old headers to be flushed out so they dont waste ur hdd space
    Say, i,m subscribed to a group XXX, auto update interval is set to 1 min, retention for this particular group is set to 12hours. Everything beyond that is deleted since i dont need it(im interested in "real-time" new stuff)

Thus if you subscribe to several groups and set 1 min update rate for them u'll be getting new headers every minute.
    Of course you can also manually update headers clicking on update button every several seconds

PS newsbin pro( i dont even mention newsleecher) is limited to 1hour auto update minimum unfortunately but u can press update manually whenever u feel like

I know that even Binsearch or NZBindex only refresh every 15 minutes or so.
    dunno about binsearch, but its not true about nzbindex. Its update rate (not RSS update) is just several minutes.
    Last edited by Hypatia; 12-27-2010 at 11:55 AM.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypatia View Post
    The fastest way to get articles as soon as they are uploaded is via old-school downloading headers method(thank Cthulhu they are now compressed lol)

Altbinz doesnt support headers

Usenet Explorer allows you to set auto get headers interval to 1 min(!)
    u can also set in the settings if u'd like old headers to be flushed out so they dont waste ur hdd space
    Say, i,m subscribed to a group XXX, auto update interval is set to 1 min, retention for this particular group is set to 12hours. Everything beyond that is deleted since i dont need it(im interested in "real-time" new stuff)

Thus if you subscribe to several groups and set 1 min update rate for them u'll be getting new headers every minute.
    Of course you can also manually update headers clicking on update button every several seconds

PS newsbin pro( i dont even mention newsleecher) is limited to 1hour auto update minimum unfortunately but u can press update manually whenever u feel like

I know that even Binsearch or NZBindex only refresh every 15 minutes or so.
    dunno about binsearch, but its not true about nzbindex. Its update rate (not RSS update) is just several minutes.
    Thanks for the reply. How much HDD space and internet band does downloading headers eat?

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    It depends on the way newsreader handles downloaded headers.
    Not much if the group isnt large(several x millions headers) or if u set a reasonable retention for them(thats the whole point i pressume. U dont need to download the whole boneless etc garbage groups, you just need to stay tuned about the most new uploads, say, up to a week.)

Bandwidth wise its not too demanding.Besides compression means they are downloaded several(2-3) times or even more if several groups are updated simultaneously faster than ur connection

PS i dunno about update rate of NBPro & newsleecher's built-in search engines but usenet explorer's built-in search engine updates every 1 min.Ive tried newsbins search\newsleecher and UE's. IMHo UE's is one of the best in terms of retention\update rates\boolean wildmats search\ stability.
    though it lacks some useful features supersearch(newsleecher) has. But unfortunately superseach couldt find several posts i needed too often in my case
    Last edited by Hypatia; 12-27-2010 at 09:20 PM.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Ok, I might try using UE, but $35 a year is an awful lot to pay to get articles at maybe 10 minutes faster than an indexing site.

I'm using NZBclub right now for 0-day stuff. They supposedly want to get real-time updates, and they do sort by newsgroup. According to them, they index once every minute or so. Anyone have any real zero-second experience with them?

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    $35\ a year is a lot? =) oh well..
    anyway
    as far as i know u pay this for built-in search,one of the best, so u can buy it and dont renew your subscription if im not mistaken
    you can always ask the developer about it