Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In America they call it Survivor, in Australia we call it camping.

Quite interesting point on the tourism potential Indian tribes might have. I was in Indonesia last year, and on Sulawesi we saw an old tribe doing some weird sacrifice ritual. They slaughtered an actual pig in front of our eyes, but hey the tourists liked it. It all seemed so "authentic". But obviously it was just a huge show for the dumb tourist, and noone can ever know if it really was like that hundreds of years ago.
    Or, to give another example, Britain's tourism is mostly based on all this old monarchy cr** that people love so much. But in fact everyone knows, but prefers to ignore, that today it's all nothing but fake. Yes, Indian tribes could probably help themselves out of there misery in that way, but at some point I can understand that they probably do not want to expose themselves in a fashion that might be inappropriate for them.
    Stinson Over!

2. Lounge   -   #12
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    I get you, Stinson. Tourism is usually inauthentic. The tribe I was talking about had to go out of their way to be inhospitable, and destroy several miles of natural beach to keep people from enjoying the scenery.

And, not every tribe would have anything that would draw tourists. In fact, many reservations are naturally shitty places- that's why the natives were "given" the land in treaties. They got screwed.

However, those who have natural resources should join the 20th century (yes, I know we are in the 21st), and accept that work, and earning a living are seldom "authentic". Manufacturing is inauthentic. So is ringing up purchases at a mall wearing a stupid, denigrating uniform, serving fries, wearing a suit in an office building, or delivering mail/packages. Most people do shit they absolutely hate on a daily basis. It's called life.

Let's not buy into the "proud people" bullshit too much. Look at the conditions on reservations- that's NOT pride...
    Last edited by megabyteme; 01-03-2011 at 04:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

3. Lounge   -   #13
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by callum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by iLOVENZB View Post
    Interesting. I've always thought Mel Gibson was American, because he was born there and that, but that website has put me right.
    Last I heard, the merkins didn't want him any more. So it's cool.

4. Lounge   -   #14
    iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1
    Meh I like him, just because he throws phones at hotel staff doesn't make him a bad person ... wait that was the kiwi that's now living in Australia, Russel Crowe.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12